SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Out doors folks Bug Juice (repellant)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out doors folks Bug Juice (repellant) Login/Join 
posted
I don't need it that often , but once or twice a month I use Bug Soother

https://www.simplysoothing.net...e-for-kids-and-pets/

and it works real well

The neighbor lady was out treating all of her washed camping clothing and tent with this stuff.

https://sawyer.com/products/pe...repellent-treatment/

Have you tried this ? would you recommend it ?

She is 74 y.o. and is doing a triathlon , kayaking, biking and running.
she will be up on the Canadian border for 2 weeks.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sawyer works well for me on the man eating Yoop skeeters.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Used permethrin on my boots and blue jeans in tick season. It seems to work.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
It works great. Spray it on your clothes and let it dry. Don’t let cats come in contact with it. I bought the concentrated form of permethrin off amazon and mix my own batches. I also use it around the exterior of the house to keep bugs away. I do, however, think that if it kill cats and make a tick jump, it’s probabky not very healthy for me either. But neither is limes disease. I use it only when I know I’ll be in heavy tick territory.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I just started using this Sawyer Picaridin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's so much better than DEET I can't believe it took me this long to find it. Not oily, doesn't smell terrible, doesn't melt plastic or strip gun finishes, and it works to keep the mosquitos away. I'm typically eaten alive by mosquitoes as soon as I step outside and this stuff has been a life saver.

I even found a tick on my sock 2 days ago while wearing short sleeves. It was just sitting there and would not crawl up my leg where I had applied the picaridin about an hour prior. I promptly picked it off and smashed it, no tick bites.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya'll might give Moskito Care a try. 407-960-1882

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Drink apple cider vinegar. They don't come near me

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used permethrin before of clothing before backpacking trips.

Best stuff for mosquitoes I ever was something from Mexico I used when I was there. I feel like every time I sprayed it on myself I shortened my life by at least a few days.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Call me wrong but I like permethrin over Deet and Picaridin because it is an insecticide versus a repellent. But yes they both have their place. I do not always close to cover head to toe so Deet is a must. Picaridin is reportedly better against biting flies and Deet is better against skeeters and ticks. But both seem to work fine. I have a microfiber sleeping bag liner commercially treated with Permethrin, supposedly good for 24 washing or two year versus six washing or weeks with the DIY stuff.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Not for running but the thermacell has worked well for us day-to-day.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Permethrin is what the military treats all their uniforms with..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I treat my clothes and boots with Permethrin and put the Picardin on my skin and have had good results.

I also treat my hair with Nix shampoo when I take the last shower before I go camping or hiking and also with the first shower when I return.

Nix is sold as a treatment for head lice , but the only ingredient is Permethrin ...it's FDA approved even for children ( I believe ). I believe that it lasts for a week or two. I like the idea of killing the little buggers rather than just repelling them ! Razz

Just fyi...mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the thing I like about Bug Soother is;
its all natural

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
We pretreat our external layer clothing with Permethrin and topical overcoat with deet. My uncle used to cruise timber in the UP. He only used a stinky nasty cigar. I never could find one I could work with but puffing on a swisher sweet in the middle of a stream durring the hex hatch was an acceptable alternative to the chemicals for me. Once on dry land I would fall back to the sprays.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post