SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I bring mommy and daddy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I bring mommy and daddy? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Ok, I'd think this was a story straight from The Onion had I not personally participated in the conversation.

I went to visit a friend in the hospital this week. While there, a friend of hers, an HR executive with one of the resort companies here in Florida, was also visiting and they were talking shop. The HR executive woman shared that she'd 'once again' had a couple applicants for open entry level positions ask if they could have their parents participate in the interview process. Apparently the 'youth' applying for these positions wanted mommy and daddy to see where they were applying, and thought they could provide the HR staff with feedback on their character and qualifications. And when I asked if she was serious, she told me this happens on a semi-regular basis.

My take away from the conversation I had with these two ladies is, the business world might as well work on plans to relocate to other countries, because the current crop of college students here are beyond worthless.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've heard of this happening. It's apparently a trend for millenials to have their parents act as their agents (for lack of a better term).

Absolutely pathetic.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That application would immediately hit the can.

Ain't runnin' no day care.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Available at Amazon.com:

http://a.co/fNeHYHB

Even in 2008, Ms. Marano could see this unfolding on the horizon of this nation.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
re, a friend of hers, an HR executive with one of the resort companies here in Florida, was also visiting and they were talking shop. The HR executive woman shared that she'd 'once again' had a couple applicants for open entry level positions ask if they could have their parents participate in the interview process. Apparently the 'youth' applying for these positions wanted mommy and daddy to see where they were applying, and thought they could provide the HR staff with feedback on their character and qualifications. And when I asked if she was serious, she told me this happens on a semi-regular basis.

what age group is considered millenial? I'm 31 and can't relate to ANYTHING these people do. My first job was at a pharmacy when I was 14.. they hired me as a check out guy but ended up using me as a pharmacy tech haha, and I walked to and from work after school every day. My parents are both attorneys that make good livings, so I didnt NEED a job, they made me get one though to build character, learn about money, learn about responsibility, etc.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can bring your pet rabbit if you want. Just don't expect me to hire you.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sad!
There is nothing wrong with giving advice to your grown kids... but it should always be behind the scenes.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wife interviewed a Univ grad, her big boss is a Graduate of the same school, so of course the resume got through the "process" direct to interview. Private college btw.

The kid shows up late, 30 minutes, no call, no reason, just late, and doesn't have the package that was emailed to him three days before the interview completed, reason, he has no printer and wanted to print it off at the interview, said he was going to get there early, (remember, he was late.)

When asked why late he said traffic, when questioned on where he lived, he says, downtown, "how long", two years, so the response to him, You have lived downtown for two years and you don't understand the traffic issued on the main interstate through town enough to leave early?

Find out he's got an apartment still paid for by mommy and daddy, clothes, food, etc all paid for by mom and dad lives in trendy downtown,

This kid made the deans list for 4 years at a private college that isn't an easy place top of the class, not stupid, but has no common sense or sense of urgency, of course not, mom and daddy are footing the bill.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Considering the way many HR depts. are going I'm almost surprised they don't require your parents to be there.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the new "I need to talk it over with my wife"

That's fine, i need to check with mine to see if i can hire you. GMAFB

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
One perk for those in HR these days, they can moonlight as stand up comedians based on their interviews

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless they need a job too, the answer would be no.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just offed another millennial. They seem to lack any sense of a work ethic.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
About the moms ...

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It's a trend and I don't see it going away.

When I applied to law school last year, applicants brought their parents. Not only that, the dean who was speaking to us spent most of her speech convincing the parents that this was a good investment in their children's futures (so you know the parent thing is not new).

I was appalled. Three years from now junior and princess are going to be lawyers. Are their parents going to come with them to their first day in court? Hold a hand during the cross-exam? Cheer for them in oral argument? Grammar check their briefs (or write them entirely)?

But schools know where the money comes from, so I guess parents really are their audience.

If it's true for graduate and professional schools, why wouldn't it be true for first job interviews?

The logical end of helicopter parenting is that there is no logical end.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a prediction based on all these stories of the millenials acting like children. I believe adult thumb sucking will become a thing. We already have adult coloring books and safe spaces etc. I think it is a logical extension of all the craziness we see.

If it doesn't happen I may have to make up my own fake news press release extolling the virtues of adult thumb sucking. Just think of the untapped market for adult pacifiers. Although I wouldn't be surprised if adult pacifiers already exist.

I am only mildly kidding...

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of such a thing. Seems like that would be the last thing you would ever ask HR when seeking a position. Quite puzzling.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
As a millenial by 2 years, who was raised more like a genx'r all I am seeing is opportunity.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thank God your mammy died givin' birth. If she'd have seen you, she'd have died o' shame.

(Oh, lament for days gone...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post