SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I bring mommy and daddy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I bring mommy and daddy? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
And how did all these people get this way?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
re, a friend of hers, an HR executive with one of the resort companies here in Florida, was also visiting and they were talking shop. The HR executive woman shared that she'd 'once again' had a couple applicants for open entry level positions ask if they could have their parents participate in the interview process. Apparently the 'youth' applying for these positions wanted mommy and daddy to see where they were applying, and thought they could provide the HR staff with feedback on their character and qualifications. And when I asked if she was serious, she told me this happens on a semi-regular basis.

what age group is considered millenial? I'm 31 and can't relate to ANYTHING these people do. My first job was at a pharmacy when I was 14.. they hired me as a check out guy but ended up using me as a pharmacy tech haha, and I walked to and from work after school every day. My parents are both attorneys that make good livings, so I didnt NEED a job, they made me get one though to build character, learn about money, learn about responsibility, etc.

If you have to ask what age group millenials are, you are one. Big Grin

Just giving you a good natured ribbing.

But, yes, you are a millenial.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I helped my son for his first "career" job by giving him mock interviews. That's where my support ended.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
For those in HR, is it appropriate to say "yes, but only your mother, and only if she is really hot..."

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There's no way, *no* way that you came from *my* loins. Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My wife's cousin's husband is a VP for a certain banking institution and he hires/fires employees as part of his job. Last year, he told me that a number of 20-somethings attempted to bring one of their parents into the interview process, and he refused entry for each one, sitting them outside in the lobby. And needless to say, he crosses these idiots off his list.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Actually, we'll be interviewing as a team!"

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I retired I had a young lady working for me who lived and died by her cell phone, she would stop waiting on a patient to look at her latest text message (this is a pharmacy intern) so I told her to turn off her phone while at work. Then she started having to go to the restroom several times a day. Turned out she would go to check her phone messages. So I fired her. Then I get a call from her mother (helicopter parent) raising hell at me for firing her snowflake. No wonder the kids today still live with their parents.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what age group is considered millenial? I'm 31 and can't relate to ANYTHING these people do. My first job was at a pharmacy when I was 14.. they hired me as a check out guy but ended up using me as a pharmacy tech haha, and I walked to and from work after school every day. My parents are both attorneys that make good livings, so I didnt NEED a job, they made me get one though to build character, learn about money, learn about responsibility, etc.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good for you and your work ethic. There is diversity in the millenial age group. I am reminded of when baby boomers took to Twitter to try and humiliate your age group with pics of rotary dial phones, mimeograph machines etc. I believe the title was how to fool a Millenial. It did not work out well for the boomers. Using the favorite platform employed by millenials was kind of stupid. I have found that not every millenial is an entitled idiot. In my opinion it all starts with good parenting and a good school system that supports the proper values.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading through this thread, I was wondering if anyone brought their parents here (I almost don't want to know):

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's a parenting failure which leads to failed children. And we wonder why society is the way it is now?

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
I have a prediction based on all these stories of the millenials acting like children. I believe adult thumb sucking will become a thing. We already have adult coloring books and safe spaces etc. I think it is a logical extension of all the craziness we see.

If it doesn't happen I may have to make up my own fake news press release extolling the virtues of adult thumb sucking. Just think of the untapped market for adult pacifiers. Although I wouldn't be surprised if adult pacifiers already exist.

I am only mildly kidding...
The other evening on "Watter's World" one of the guys being interviewed was sucking on a pacifier. (He was dumber than a box of rocks, too.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
That application would immediately hit the can.

Ain't runnin' no day care.

Funny this has happened at my ex-wife's business and she sends them packing. The funny part is she is running a day care. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other evening on "Watter's World" one of the guys being interviewed was sucking on a pacifier. (He was dumber than a box of rocks, too.)

Probably protecting his teeth from bruxism caused by too much Molly.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post