SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Familiar with Zoom online meeting collaboration?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Familiar with Zoom online meeting collaboration? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I’ve been tasked with finding a software that we can use to hold large meetings online. A couple Google searches have mentioned that zoom might be a good option.

Anybody familiar with it and used it?

The good bad and ugly?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My aikido dojo will be holding live online classes using this platform. I've already downloaded the app and signed up, but won't have any experience until next Tuesday when the first class goes live.

From what I see so far, it looks pretty good.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We use it and have had no issues. I think I like it better than WebEx.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My company uses Zoom. We switched from Skype after we switched from some other thing. Anyhow Zoom has been pretty good. But I don't know about setting it up or anything like that. Outlook lets me set up any meeting as a Zoom meeting. Audio and video work well, and options for both are available.

FWIW I work for the company that has the malaria drug now being tested on Covid 19, so not a small company.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As frayedends said it's pretty decent. Just make sure whoever is listed as the organizer of the meeting understands how to operate it. My last organization no one could figure out that as the meeting organizer you could mute everyone and then un-mute specific folks as needed. Thus the start of every meeting was "please make sure your phones are muted folks".

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
My son's high school here in NH (Pinkerton Academy) is using Zoom for the Remote Learning Program they rolled out this week for 3400 students. I have no personal experience using it, but from what I've seen, Zoom is very capable platform and the AV works well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Used them for my final MBA class. Worked pretty well on the user level, not sure about on the administrative level, though.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have used it perhaps a half dozen times to show a single presenter from a remote location to a large meeting of people using a large projection screen and audio system. It works fine, as long as the internet connections at BOTH ends are good. Better than Skype, IMO.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Kids online school uses it, easy peasy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have used bluejeans and zoom. They work fine. The meeting organizer should select the "mute upon entry" button so that when 20 people are in the meeting working from home you don't have to listen to crying kids and barking dogs and 20 different conversations going on in the background.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Zoom is a good tool, but they've been suffering big time of late trying to keep up with demand.

https://ww.9to5google.com/2020...eviews-coronavirus/#
https://downdetector.com/status/zoom/

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
My company uses it exclusively. Super easy to use and accommodates a pretty large group of people. In fact was on a several calls this week with zoom that had in excess of 500 people on.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
My wife used Zoom yesterday for a job interview and then to chat with her friends that night. She is pretty computer literate and didn't need my help to set up the client end. My company uses something else and I hadn't heard of Zoom until this week.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Very much appreciated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quattro_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Very much appreciated.

Probably late, but my company regularly uses Zoom for meetings. I was on one today with 200+ people, and it was dead solid.

Zoom will probably come out of this pandemic as a shining example of cloud based scalability.

"Sometimes Magic sounds like Tape" -- The Amazing Johnathan

Posts: 1208 | Location: Redmond,WA | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zoom will probably come out of this pandemic as a shining example of cloud based scalability.

Because most people appear to be asses, Zoom is/was getting slaughtered in online reviews because students were pissed that they had to use the website.

https://ww.9to5google.com/2020...eviews-coronavirus/#

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Because most people appear to be asses, Zoom is/was getting slaughtered in online reviews because students were pissed that they had to use the website.
Nobody in business gives a shit what they think. They should get back to drinking and screwing on spring break.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My large publicly traded company uses Zoom, without issue. It's easy and reliable. Can launch from a web browser, or app. Can dial in by phone too.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
If you use Google suite already, you could try Google Meet.

We're using that, but we're already on Google and Google has made pretty much all its features free for educators.

It's working out fine. I only ever used Zoom once for a meeting and it was less intuitive to get into than Google is, IMO.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zoom, BlueJeans and WebEx are generally fine. Expect some hiccups this week or so when the demand spikes and they get their feet back. We had a WebEx call today with close to 500.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post