SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Financial/banker experts opinion: gloom and doom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financial/banker experts opinion: gloom and doom Login/Join 
posted
Was wondering what the opinions would be if things get bad with this Coronavirus here in the states(we pray it doesn't take off). If things start "shutting down" like during a major hurricane coming to a coastal area, supplies,etc., do you recommend taking most of your cash out from the banks, credit unions, etc. they might bar the doors due to the emergency. Thinking about withdrawing my "cash" out.
This is just a survey opinion.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As someone who lives in hurricane central Smile I would always recommend people keep some cash at home for emergencies. How much depends on you. I usually keep like $1,500 or so in my gun safe year round, just in case. I would not recommend pulling 'all' your money out of the bank. Conditions will eventually stabilize and the banks will reopen (assuming the local branches are still standing).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you have concerns about any type of disease or disaster, you could consider having a cash reserve. My guess is that things would ramp up in price as availability diminishes. Shortages create panic and that's when the rodeo starts.

Why not build a reserve now of food, cash, guns, ammo, fuel, water, etc. so if/when the "shutting down" occurs, you are covered. Costco sells dehydrated cans of food for a reasonable price. Most mixes with water to create life sustaining meals.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When something like this emerges, there's a strong instinct in the health care community and government to try to stop it by containment. There becomes a point where that becomes impossible. China is probably already there. We're not there yet, but might get to that point.

At some point China is going to have to let it burn it's way throughome it's population until a vaccine is developed. They can only keep large parts of their country on lock down for so long. This disease, while serious, isn't anywhere near a slate wipe like Ebola looked like it could be (90% fatality rate.) Thus mat end up being like the flue, something they try to prevent, treat what they can, and deal with the consequences.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Keep $1000-$2000 cash, in small bills.
Six months of non perishable food, water, and necessary meds.
Can't have too much ammo on hand either.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a typical media over reaction. In a week you'll be asking "Corona what?" Unless I'm wrong and it's the start of the Zombie Apocalypse I've been planning for!

Posts: 2464 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
If you have concerns about any type of disease or disaster, you could consider having a cash reserve. My guess is that things would ramp up in price as availability diminishes. Shortages create panic and that's when the rodeo starts.

Why not build a reserve now of food, cash, guns, ammo, fuel, water, etc. so if/when the "shutting down" occurs, you are covered. Costco sells dehydrated cans of food for a reasonable price. Most mixes with water to create life sustaining meals.

+1
A cash reserve is just one component of being prepared for any number of things which could disrupt the supply of goods/services.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is a greater danger of shortages in US due to Chinese factory closures and shipping disruptions vs outbreak of the virus in US.

Posts: 1175 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What good is cash going to do if everything is shut down and everyone is on mandatory home quarantine?

Better buy your supplies now if you fear a shutdown is coming.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
This is a typical media over reaction. In a week you'll be asking "Corona what?" Unless I'm wrong and it's the start of the Zombie Apocalypse I've been planning for!

If you want to worry about something check out the numbers for influenza this season in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
If you want to worry about something check out the numbers for influenza this season in the US.

Other than the Flu vaccine, the precautions one should take for Wuhan are exactly the same as you would take to avoid the flu. So who cares what name is that people worry about?

Wash hands. Don't touch your face. Wear a mask if sick or if hanging around sick people. Don't hang around sick people. Use hand sanitizer.

100% effective? No.

Buy bourbon and Spam.

Cash on hand is for buying what you forgot to buy enough of.
Like more bourbon and Spam.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17458 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the preps. Zombies, don't come close. Don't drink and hate spam.
I just don't want the government shutting down banks where we can't get our money out.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Don't drink and hate spam.

So? Both last forever and make great trade goods.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17458 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got the preps. Zombies, don't come close. Don't drink and hate spam.
I just don't want the government shutting down banks where we can't get our money out.

I have gotten to the point where I use a lot less cash on a day to day basis. Credit cards are just too easy, have rewards, and if you pay in full at the end of the month don’t cost anything. That said, I still carry cash and I keep enough of a cash reserve on hand that I suspect we could get by for 2-3 months if needed. It is just common sense. However, as stated by others, having food and water on hand is probably more important than cash.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

do you recommend taking most of your cash out from the banks, credit unions, etc. they might bar the doors due to the emergency. Thinking about withdrawing my "cash" out.

I think you need to relax a little. This is not in the future because of this virus.

For fun though I think you should go and withdraw all your money. Big Grin

Seriously though having some cash on hand is always good. So if you don't have a couple hundred to a thousand in cash go ahead and take that out. Put it in a safe.

I wouldn't cash out my accounts be any means.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16372 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
What good is cash going to do if everything is shut down and everyone is on mandatory home quarantine?

Better buy your supplies now if you fear a shutdown is coming.

After going through several hurricanes. There is always some place open.....but after hurricanes with phone lines severed, no internet and cell phone data down to 3G if at all, CASH is always king. After a hurricane or natural disaster, nobody wants an I OWE YOU or a check from someone they don't know. I would always recommend people keep a comfortable amount of cash on hand for ANY emergency.

You can pretty much do all of your banking on the internet from depositing checks to paying bills (if you have internet) even if the branches are closed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Guess its time to reconsider my opinion. I'm actually agreeing with Jimmy. I do waste a bunch of money each month. And those are the months without gun shows. Cash is king. Even for large purchases (not homes or cars). Its even fun at gun shows when some rube (unwashed city feller) sees a gun he wants and tries to pay with plastic.

There is a problem when you have "too much" and the wrong person sees. Then you've got to shootify them. Maybe 20 years ago I even went to American Express Travelers Checks. People who know you will take them, like other gun show vendors. Practically no one refuses crisp new $100 bills. One of the tricks is to make a batch of 10 of them and put a staple in one end. Just like the old girls used to have a staple in her navel in all the magazines. Smile

But in this discussion, you pretty much can't buy a loaf of bread with a hundred. And you can't buy a nice old Winchester with $20s (or $5s) Every one knows but usually doesn't talk about where to keep the stash. Its usually in the gun safe, for those rich enough to have one.

Before Katrina, I was having a discussion with Charlie Sherill. Most here know him as a deputy Sheriff down in lower Mississippi. He was worried about the big blow, and it taking his house. There is an easy outdoor answer. You put your money in a waterproof container. Maybe a tupperware tub you picked off at a yard sale or whatever. Or even a quart Ball jar. Then you store it underground. Seriously, in a grave works OK. The trick is finding the grave after the 2 day 100 mile an hour wind. Its where you need a grave stone. You dig a hole and put the container in it, then place the stone on the hole. Normally, wind won't blow stones on flat lands. Water won't wash them away, either. Or you can figure out another immovable object, like a corner of your foundation. It takes a pretty strong tornado to move them (even slabs). You just go 4' north and then 4' west from there. Yeah, a lot of trouble but not more than having all your money in a stupid bank that isn't open and might not be for a few weeks.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18381 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the government shuts the banks, stores will likely close to.

There's way too much concern over corona. In general, the Chinese have worse medical care, fewer immunizations, a poorer diet, and work MUCH harder than we do physically. Viruses are like other predators in that they find the young, the old, and the weak to take down. Maintain, wash your hands, don't touch your face, and statistics are in your favor.

I'm a little more careful because I'm immune-compromised with diabetes.

And bourbon and spam-hell, I'm always prepared on that front.

Posts: 17112 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post