SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does the USPS make no sense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does the USPS make no sense? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I ordered a product online that left the distribution center in Macon GA on the 26th, from there it went to Augusta GA, then Charlotte where I live, from Charlotte it was routed to West Palm Beach FL, then Opa Locka Florida and now it's headed back to Charlotte? No wonder the Post office loses so much money...they waste so much fuel Razz

Ps: this is not the first time I have noticed this happen

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I sent a package to an address that is 2-1/2 hours south in the Indy area. It first had to go to and is still at the Warrenville PA hub.

That's nearly 1000 miles east of me.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's the government and union. That just about explains all you need to know about efficiency and making sense. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
It's the government and union. That just about explains all you need to know about efficiency and making sense. Big Grin

You beat me to it!

Or the time I ordered a holster from a forum member. And, as I recall, it bounced around between 2 USPS sites for more than 2 weeks! Just back and forth between those sites.

It got to be an entertaining situation here on the forum.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that too.

UPS is very efficient. They do have an agreement with the USPS for local delivery for some items though which even that slows things down.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. A favorite topic of mine.

We used to ship videos USPS. I would place the videos in the Priority Mail bubble wrap mailers. I would go to the post office and ask for them and the clerk would look back and forth like it was a dope deal. She would then open a cabinet marked cleaning supplies, and pull out two mailers. I eventually asked what was up with that. She said that those free mailers were prohibited from being at the post office by postal regulations. Now, mind you, this is the same place that you get all the other free stuff to mail priority mail. I told her that made absolutely no sense. I can go online and order 1,000 for free but I can get two at the post office.

She said that postal regulations were as such that prohibiting them in post offices would force people to order them online, and then use the online service. So, I ordered them 100 at a time and delivered them to the post office.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I've noticed that too.

UPS is very efficient. They do have an agreement with the USPS for local delivery for some items though which even that slows things down.

May be efficient when they actually work. They do not work on the weekends since they went union. I paid extra for 2 day delivery of an item. Turned out that it would have required delivery on Saturday. I finally got it on the following Tuesday.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
I sell clothes online. Last week, I sent two pairs of jeans - one to coastal Washington state and the other to a suburb about 30 minutes outside Detroit. The packages were of equal size and weight, sent on the same day from Minneapolis, using the same priority mail service. My package arrived in Washington in two days and Michigan in three. Wut?

When I shipped to central Texas a few months back, my package bounced back to the same San Antonio destination facility three times before it was delivered.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a certified letter that USPS tracking said was to be deliered yesterday. The person I sent it to just e-mailed and said they didn't get anything yesterday even the USPS postcard that says we tried to deliver. I go online and all the tracking information says it that it was scheduled for delivery yesterday. Mad

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I live in a town of about 15000. We have a Post Office. If I mail a letter to my neighbor a block away, or next door, it goes to the local Post Office, then is trucked to a big mail sorting facility in the big city about a hundred miles away. After sorting, it is trucked back that hundred miles to the local Post Office, then delivered to the recipient here in town. USPS says it is more efficient this way. I guess it must be so if they say so, but it has always seemed rather amusing to me....

PS, I've seen items with tracking numbers take some pretty interesting circuitous routes tooWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Haha, it's pretty common. A first for me just happened. Had water filters from Amazon. Shipping UPS with USPS to deliver. They marked my package as delivered but nothing was actually delivered.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we mislabeled a package going out UPS,

dropped it off one afternoon, realized the error an hour or so later,,

called UPS to have it diverted back to us,

so they shipped it all the way to the address on the label, and then back to us,,,

at least with UPS they can get it back to you,,,, eventually

USPS has been very reliable for me, as far as deliveries,, (only lost one item in many years, and had a couple damaged,)
timeliness is iffy,

fedex fukks up more around here than they do right,, must be local management or hiring people,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had a Priority Mail package go from Texas to Maryland, the Colorado to Kansas to Indiana to Ohio to Pennsylvania to New Jersey to Pennsylvania to Maryland to me.

3-Day Priority took 2 weeks.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to slow down a package,pay a lot of money to send it registered priority. Big Grin

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ah, yes. A favorite topic of mine.

We used to ship videos USPS. I would place the videos in the Priority Mail bubble wrap mailers. I would go to the post office and ask for them and the clerk would look back and forth like it was a dope deal. She would then open a cabinet marked cleaning supplies, and pull out two mailers. I eventually asked what was up with that. She said that those free mailers were prohibited from being at the post office by postal regulations. Now, mind you, this is the same place that you get all the other free stuff to mail priority mail. I told her that made absolutely no sense. I can go online and order 1,000 for free but I can get two at the post office.

She said that postal regulations were as such that prohibiting them in post offices would force people to order them online, and then use the online service. So, I ordered them 100 at a time and delivered them to the post office.

Seems stupid, but they're trying to reduce the time the clerks take with each person (which is one of the biggest complaints). They want you to have your stuff ready to mail when you walk through the door and throw it on the counter. There are still people who bring things to ship, and expect the clerk to pack it up for them. This is also why if you print your labels at home, they're slightly cheaper.
I didn't say it made sense...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I sent a postal money order about 7 weeks back to a business, who claimed they never received it - even though tracking said they did. The Postal Service then had me fill out a form (for a fee) to track whether the money order was cashed, which starts an investigation that is supposed to last 2 months. Here's what I don't get: (1) why can't the postal service like a bank use a clearing system for near real-time verification (a PMO could be treated like a check) & if one doesn't exist, why not create such? (2) If the money order is known to be a part of the shipment, tracking should automatically verify receiver & (3) forget the investigative form if the postal service had previously verified the PMO was in a tracked package as that would narrow the investigative scope and they had the letter/package in their custody up to the supposed end delivery point.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
P226RN sent me a package probably about 5 years go and it's still not here.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Since they jacked up postal rates the service has suffered. I paid almost $20 so mail some boxes and the 2 to 3 day Priority Mail took over a week.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good service from them over the years.

I've shipped 1000's of items, all over the world even Macau. The only package the USPS ever lost was the one shipped the shortest distance- a mere 17 miles.

Redmond to Ballard.

They paid the insurance claim without issue.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you sell a lot of stuff online USPS is still the best option for two reasons:

Using bubble mailers or small boxes and PayPal's shipping app you get a discount on First Class over standard counter rates and can mail up to 15 oz (13 oz. max at counter). There is also a significant discount on Priority using the PayPal app.

Regional Flat Rate boxes that you order online have saved me a bunch of money over the standard Flat Rate boxes. You will need an account at USPS online to print the necessary labels.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post