SIGforum
So what is your investment strategy in these apocalyptic times?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1820018674

November 20, 2020, 04:32 PM
az4783054
So what is your investment strategy in these apocalyptic times?
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I'm wondering about real estate. Not in a city or even suburb, but acreage outside of town a ways. 5 acres or so.

Properties in the cities destroyed by antifa and blm might be a good long term investment if you're willing to wait a few years. That is unless the politicians don't grab it up first. Razz
November 20, 2020, 06:22 PM
muzzleloader
Same as always, 60:40 Total Stock Market Index : Total Bond index. At Vanguard mostly with some Fidelity mixed in. Stay the course.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
November 20, 2020, 06:27 PM
Skins2881
I'm considering moving everything to cash for three months. Only problem, I'm lazy. I have three retirement accounts I need to roll over and leave in cash. Just keep forgetting to get around to it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 20, 2020, 07:22 PM
muzzleloader
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm considering moving everything to cash for three months. Only problem, I'm lazy. I have three retirement accounts I need to roll over and leave in cash. Just keep forgetting to get around to it.

I may be disremembering, but I think it was Jack Bogle who said "don't just do something, sit there". Sometimes it's better to do nothing (market timing and all that).

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
November 20, 2020, 07:39 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I may be disremembering, but I think it was Jack Bogle who said "don't just do something, sit there". Sometimes it's better to do nothing (market timing and all that).

We are nearing all time highs, I'm willing to risk losing out on the Biden stock market bump. The market is up on the house/senate results not the presidential results.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 20, 2020, 07:55 PM
wreckdiver
We are heavily invested in rental property in our area, so far so good. Hoping it lasts!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton
November 20, 2020, 08:13 PM
2PAK
Staying the course. No bonds. All equities and cash and cash savings. No gold ETF's.

Doing some pruning of individual equities into cash but those are overdue for trimming. In this case, the pruning allows more cash into a 'settled cash' position so I can buy on the next dip or two.

Vanguard is my choice for funds or ETF's including MGK, VGT, VYM, VDGIX, and VPMCX. A non Vanguard ETF I have is ARKK to add some spice. I sold out of Oil too soon.
November 20, 2020, 09:20 PM
armedprof
I ask self directed investors this question:

Do you have the Will, Skill, Time, and Access to Information needed to be successful managing your money EVERY SINGLE DAY?

If you can't honestly answer yes to all four items, you need to pay a professional.

I have been studying the market since the early 1990s when I was an undergrad. Will = Yes

I work for a Fortune 100 financial services company, have 20 years experience in the industry, a Masters degree in Finance, and more financial planning acumen than 99.9% of the US population. Skill = Yes

I work 50+ hours a week leading Wealth Management Advisors. I have a family I like to spend time with. I like reading SigForum. I like playing guitar. I like shooting guns. I like playing golf. Time = No

I have access to information because I work with Portfolio Managers and industry leading Investment Management research teams. I have to report every trade I make to ensure I am not participating in insider trading... Access to Information = better than most so Yes

It should come as no surprise that my investments are managed daily by a Portfolio Manager. He buys and sells whenever it makes sense and he only buys the "best" stuff. He keeps my risk constant and manages my investments to ensure a good return in all markets with tax sensitivity for my taxable accounts.

I can't imagine hiring an amateur to manage my net worth.

So the short answer is, my investment strategy is to pay someone a little bit of money to do a lot better than I could possibly do on my own.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.
November 20, 2020, 09:24 PM
Bassamatic
At my age (73) the volatility got too unnerving so I got out about a year ago and put most everything into Govt bonds (FGMNX). We have done pretty decent.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
November 20, 2020, 10:17 PM
jimmy123x
I believe the market jumped up this week based on reports of 2 different Covid vaccines (Pfizer and the other company). I think if Biden wins the market is going to start tanking, especially if he starts closing everything (lock down) all over again.
November 21, 2020, 12:46 AM
ElToro
The market loves political gridlock. If nothing wacky from a president bidet can get through then the better and the market probly thinks the GOP will keep the senate and the increase in the house is nice bonus. Plus the trillions of cash pumped in. Don’t fight the Fed. I have taken some off the table in my taxable account when it reaches new highs as we maybe want to trade this house for something else in the next year. Keeping my powder dry as it were. Still fully invested on the IRA/401k side and kids 529’s I’m at least 20 years to retirement and kids are 8-10+ years out from college
November 21, 2020, 06:04 AM
smlsig
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Do you have the Will, Skill, Time, and Access to Information needed to be successful managing your money EVERY SINGLE DAY?

If you can't honestly answer yes to all four items, you need to pay a professional.

I have been studying the market since the early 1990s when I was an undergrad. Will = Yes

I work for a Fortune 100 financial services company, have 20 years experience in the industry, a Masters degree in Finance, and more financial planning acumen than 99.9% of the US population. Skill = Yes

I work 50+ hours a week leading Wealth Management Advisors. I have a family I like to spend time with. I like reading SigForum. I like playing guitar. I like shooting guns. I like playing golf. Time = No

I have access to information because I work with Portfolio Managers and industry leading Investment Management research teams. I have to report every trade I make to ensure I am not participating in insider trading... Access to Information = better than most so Yes

It should come as no surprise that my investments are managed daily by a Portfolio Manager. He buys and sells whenever it makes sense and he only buys the "best" stuff. He keeps my risk constant and manages my investments to ensure a good return in all markets with tax sensitivity for my taxable accounts.

So the short answer is, my investment strategy is to pay someone a little bit of money to do a lot better than I could possibly do on my own.

And while all that may be true and I’m happy for you a full 75% of “Professional Money Managers” can’t beat their benchmark indexes. Think about that for a minute and you’ll quickly realize that low cost index funds should be a large part of your portfolio.

I have a 7 figure sub-portfolio managed by Fidelity’s Private Client Group and over the last 3 years I have been able to beat their performance by more than 2% on average while my Beta is actually lower than theirs...

My Masters degree is not in finance but I started my own business 37 years ago and was moderately successful with it allowing me to retire early. If you take a long term approach and are patient you can be relatively successful...

JMHO.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
November 21, 2020, 06:49 AM
Sig209
small tweak here or there

no major changes though -- still heavily invested in equities

millions and millions of people wake up every day, go to work to make a buck(s) in a very low interest environment

'temporary' conditions don't change that

look at coronavirus -- big loss in the market for a few months now back at pretty much all time highs

moving in and out abbsolutely crushes your potential for long-term gains

we have seen this over and over: dot com, Sep 11th, financial crisis, COVID, etc

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
November 21, 2020, 08:44 AM
yucaipa
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Dollar cost averaging in no load mutual funds such as Vanguard.

Thought I would just say that again.

And again.

One more time. #2 Don't take financial advice off an internet chat board.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

November 21, 2020, 08:53 AM
Kranky
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Don’t tell me what you think, tell me what you have in your portfolio -- TALEB.

--K
November 21, 2020, 11:07 AM
White Phosphorus
I'm one of those guys who genuinely LIKES trading the markets. It's a great hobby that never really gets boring or unfulfilling for me. There are few professional investors or traders I can't beat.

I don't say these things with pride or a cavalier attitude. Most of my performance is based on continuous learning and fact based experimentation. I really like the subject and don't mind spending time with it.

That's really the rub; how much time do you want to dedicate? If you have a good career, social obligations, etc, you many not want to get into this - you simply won't be able to dedicate the time.

Then again, if you want a hobby that you'll feel proud of later in life, this is it. Be patient, be honest, be fact oriented, be open minded and do some reading and the world will turn.

I post in a Glock oriented forum and participate in many financial threads. I've been able to accurately predict what's going to happen in the markets during this pandemic. Folks don't believe it, even with the evidence sitting right in front of them. Historical performance record in the public domain.

What's happening now? There has been a real reluctance to letting the market drop below 27.000 to 27,500 on the DJIA. Letting it trend below this point would be a sign of trouble to those who make decisions. Think of selling positions, short positions and short selling.

What we are doing right now is getting ready for a move over 30,000 on the DJIA. That's the magic point that everyone is looking at. Problems with the election are causing hesitation but that is what everyone is working towards. Trending above 30,000 is a buy signal.

These are scary times to anyone with any common sense. Even so, you follow your system, even if the world is on fire. Blood in the streets and all that. It's the nature of the endeavor.

Politics? The historical fact is that the market generally does better under Democrats than Republicans. It's a huge horse pill to swallow but it's just one more example of accepting facts over preferences. The operative question is "why"?

I could type for hours......

And so it goes,

V.
November 21, 2020, 11:27 AM
2PAK
What White Phosphorus said above is true.
November 21, 2020, 11:38 AM
Keystoner
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
What's happening now? There has been a real reluctance to letting the market drop below 27.000 to 27,500 on the DJIA. Letting it trend below this point would be a sign of trouble to those who make decisions. Think of selling positions, short positions and short selling.

What we are doing right now is getting ready for a move over 30,000 on the DJIA. That's the magic point that everyone is looking at. Problems with the election are causing hesitation but that is what everyone is working towards. Trending above 30,000 is a buy signal.

I've noticed a reluctance to reach 30k, even just before Covid, and this whole year since. Every time we get close, it pulls back.

Year V
November 21, 2020, 12:12 PM
BBMW
This is what I'm doing. But I do it remote. Can't get income with what the purchase prices are around here.

quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
We are heavily invested in rental property in our area, so far so good. Hoping it lasts!!

November 21, 2020, 12:30 PM
msfzoe
I continue to dollar cost average with DRPS in MSFT, WMT, JNJ, MCD, VZ, PG, LOW, HD and ABBV.