SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are those awful bugs...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are those awful bugs... Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
...with like 40 million legs that move 90 mph across the floor or the wall???

We've had a bunch of them in the house lately, including some real huge ones and what look like babies.

What are they and how best can I rid myself of this scourge? Remedies other than killing it with fire?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
That Benelli M4.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean these...house centipedes...

Just spray them with insecticide soap takes care of them for me.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I see you're in PA too?

I've been seeing a lot of them too in my house, I'm wondering if it's related to the unprecedented amount of rain we've received this summer?

This has been the wettest, rainiest summer I've ever seen in my 45 years on this planet.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had a wet summer here too and I've killed a few more this year than usual...

They like to live in the crawl spaces under the house...that's why they are called "crawl spaces" Big Grin...

Seriously...good info on the " many legs of death" here...

https://www.orkin.com/other/ce...des/house-centipede/

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
That was my thought too. We live in a remodeled bungalow so our bedrooms are in the basement level. I haven't seen any of them upstairs, just in the bedrooms/downstairs bathroom. I think they are creeping in, at least in part, from the gaps around the plumbing that runs through the slab and/or the weeping system.

At the beginning of the summer there were none, now they're everywhere after all this rain.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly they eat insects and spiders. Harmless to people. Unless one scares the shit out of you and you hurt yourself.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
That was my thought too. We live in a remodeled bungalow so our bedrooms are in the basement level. I haven't seen any of them upstairs, just in the bedrooms/downstairs bathroom. I think they are creeping in, at least in part, from the gaps around the plumbing that runs through the slab and/or the weeping system.

At the beginning of the summer there were none, now they're everywhere after all this rain.

The brand "Great Stuff" of expanding spray foam actually makes a product specifically for blocking pests from entry around plumbing penetrations. It's called "Pestblock."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
I have killer 3-4 in the last 2 months. I have lived in this house for 12 years and have never seen them before.
They absolutely freak my wife out. So far the only place I have seen them is the bathroom, the baseboard is sealed so I am puzzled where they are coming from, drains?

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe millipedes…

https://www.pestworld.org/pest...invaders/millipedes/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
house centipedes, I remember having really quite large ones, but they did eat every other bug, and each other.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

AZ's centipede:

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you like other more detrimental household pests, by all means kill them. Or, drop a Tupperware over them, slide a piece of paper under, then relocate outside.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
My solution to this problem is simple.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Harmless to people. Unless one scares the shit out of you and you hurt yourself.
Or they crawl up your nose while you're sleeping.

Yep. Think about that one for a second.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Did it look like one of these? House centipedes on Bing Images Last week I had one, probably 3-4 inches long, crawling on my wall, much scarier than any spider. I sucked it up in my vacuum cleaner.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Lots of them here in MO also. I read they kill spiders and stuff, so if I catch one I just throw outside in the mulch.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

AZ's centipede:

We had those in our old rock house in the hills near Kerrville. My bride killed a big one like that with the little ash shovel from the fireplace. I was so proud of her.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) area of PA those are called "thousandleggers".

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post