SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man killed by rattlesnake he was trying to save
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man killed by rattlesnake he was trying to save Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Large timber rattler lying defenseless in the road?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I was on the south side of San Antonio and a similar situation occurred, the poor snake was striking at passing cars, until a cowboy pulled over with a shovel and scooped him up and got him off to the side of the road.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Non rattling rattlers:https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=216924322

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone
Oh we have plenty of those. Even crown a King and Queen.

This one was just about a week ago.

2018 Okeene Rattlesnake Hunt Winners!

Local Division
1st Place - Ron Thompson, Longdale, 65"
2nd Place - Randy Denham, Hitchcock, 62 3/4"
3rd Place - Dick Bernhardt, Okeene, 58"

Professional Division:
1st Place - Mike Meek, Waynoka, 75 1/4"
2nd Place - Pat Meek, Lyman Redgate, Braden Meek, Waynoka, 74 1/2"
3rd Place - Stan Bouse, Rick Caywood, Sand Springs, 68"
4th Place- Stan Bouse, Rick Caywood, Sand Springs, 66 3/4"

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
My takeaway from this:

Don't ever try to save a rattlesnake.

Okay. Got it. I won't.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Non rattling rattlers:https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=216924322

I have talked to some conservation folks in Florida that noted the same thing in the Eastern Diamondback native to these parts.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

There's a lesson for ya: You'd think over the years, you and this snake had gotten to be good friends and then one day ... Wham!

Big Grin

Wonder if he named it "Brad"...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only if they had leggs to help them move quicker across the road...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The Timber Rattler is probably the most deadly due to amount and type of venom. We see lots of Diamondbacks bites around here. The only fatal bite I have heard of locally was from a Timber Rattler.

Nope that title belongs to the Mojave Rattler found in the southwestern US. They have 2 types of venom; a near toxin and a hero toxin. Not only that, they've got an attitude.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I don't guess it ever occurred to me that there are people who don't automatically kill poisonous snakes when they encounter them.

I grew up on a working farm, and had several close calls. There was never, ever, any question. See a poisonous snake, kill it ASAP.

See a good snake, OTOH, leave him be, so he could keep the bad ones chased off. Unless he was eating your eggs (or your chickens!), then move him far away.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
while driving last Sunday, I saw a copperhead enjoying the warmth of the blacktop on my street. I adjusted course and ran him over, then backed up and did it again. It was nice to see that a feathered friend was enjoying a nice grilled snake lunch when I returned home.

I like snakes, but poisonous ones will be exterminated with prejudice. A baby copperhead bit my dog last year and my wife almost stepped on one right by our back door.

came home one day to a rattlesnake taking in the sun on my driveway. drove around it and let it be. hope he doesn't kill me some day while i'm putzing around in the yard.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We encounter Eastern Diamondbacks, mocasins, copperheads, and pygmies on the farm. We also have 9 grandkids and prized dogs. The key to poisonous snake survival is to avoid the homestead.

But the real question here is, why did the rattlesnake cross the road?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The snake advocates will be glad to know I let them be now, Garter snakes & ‘copper bellies’, maybe rarely a green grass snake of sorts. As a young’un I didn’t care for most any snake. I actually show the kids now then let them go.

I was out Prairie dogging years ago in SD. While driving down the drivel road here’s a snake. The ranch owner gets out and unloads a few rounds with his handgun. I think I still have the dried rattle.

Virtually no harmful snakes around here. If I lived where there were any, I’d make them into buzzard bait.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not a snake advocate. I'm a sentient being advocate. I will not intentionally kill any thing that I cannot eat or wear or that doesn't pose a harm to me or other people, and if I am in a position to make an effort to assist some creature in avoiding a premature death, I will do so. It should go without saying that I would not place myself in jeopardy, like manhandling poisonous snakes, but you get the idea.
When I walk across my driveway, I try to avoid stepping on bugs, believe it or not. In my book, everybody and every thing gets a chance. I'm sure this sounds silly to some of you, but it's the truth. Putting the brakes on a living thing is no small deal to me and I won't be party to such if I can avoid it and if the death serves no purpose.

Life is short enough as it is.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

There's a lesson for ya: You'd think over the years, you and this snake had gotten to be good friends and then one day ... Wham!

Big Grin

Wonder if he named it "Brad"...

Brad totaled him.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm not a snake advocate. I'm a sentient being advocate. I will not intentionally kill any thing that I cannot eat or wear or that doesn't pose a harm to me or other people, and if I am in a position to make an effort to assist some creature in avoiding a premature death, I will do so. It should go without saying that I would not place myself in jeopardy, like manhandling poisonous snakes, but you get the idea.
When I walk across my driveway, I try to avoid stepping on bugs, believe it or not. In my book, everybody and every thing gets a chance. I'm sure this sounds silly to some of you, but it's the truth. Putting the brakes on a living thing is no small deal to me and I won't be party to such if I can avoid it and if the death serves no purpose.

That's a good way to live and I agree with it.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I am much the same way as you Para in this regard. As I get older even more so. I do not intentionally kill anything any more. Sometimes I feel bad catching fish and watching them in their death throes in a bucket or laying on the ice while ice fishing. To circumvent some of that I bought a live well when I go ice fishing. The fish I catch go into a live well. If I don’t catch enough by the end of the day I release what I caught. I never waste the life.
We’ve had black bears roaming around the house every year.
I have express permission to shoot them anytime they are on my premises from the DNR. Only in extreme cases would I shoot one. They usually run at first sight of anyone or the dog.

If they don’t any noise or a shout will usually do it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The German philosopher Arthur Schopenauer posed the question of why a person would risk their life for another and concluded that the reason is that we realize that you and they are one.

When this subject has come up over the years in this forum, I always point to the 1982 Air Florida crash in D.C.

Go to the one minute mark and you will see what Schopenauer meant. Simply diving into that water was very dangerous. He could have become paralyzed by the frigid water before he even attempted the rescue. He was safe and dry, standing on solid ground. Why did he do this? Because he could not stand by and watch the death of another, because he and they were one.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

This sums up my own behavior as well. I won't even step on an ant, to the best of my ability, while out walking. It's a philosophical matter, I suppose. Everything has its right to life unless it's been forfeited by bad actions. Humans fall into this category much more than the other inhabitants of the planet, but that's another thread.

Here is a little guy my wife & I recently helped across the road up to the cabin:

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I don't guess it ever occurred to me that there are people who don't automatically kill poisonous snakes when they encounter them.

I grew up on a working farm, and had several close calls. There was never, ever, any question. See a poisonous snake, kill it ASAP.

See a good snake, OTOH, leave him be, so he could keep the bad ones chased off. Unless he was eating your eggs (or your chickens!), then move him far away.

this,

grandparents preached this religiously,

in fact, they were known to relocate black (King) snakes from the yard and chicken coop to the corn crib and dairy barn to keep down the mice and rats,

I'll live and let be most snakes,

water moccassins in the area can be aggressive,

kilt a big one when he coiled up and struck at my truck tire one day where I used to live,

he was headed towards the neighbors yard (and creek behind it) and she had little kids in the yard,

squished that one,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post