SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey, Hey, LBJ! I FINALLY Got An Accutron today!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, Hey, LBJ! I FINALLY Got An Accutron today! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Found this on a junk for sale site for $120!

I have coveted your Space View ever since you posted it up.

The girl's grandfather had it, let the battery go dead, removed the battery, set it aside, bought a Rolex and forgot about it for 40+ years.

She took it with the box to a jewelry store to have the battery changed and they said that it couldn't be changed out and offered her $20 for it.

Now it's at a home where it will be loved for a VERY long time!

It's not a Spaceview, but it was made in 1967.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Very cool. A good friend wore one that he bought when he returned from Vietnam. Forgot all about them. Nice find!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Very cool watch. Totally Space Age.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Very nice vintage Bulova Accutron with the 218 case.
The story/history on it makes it more special IMO.

My 214 Spaceview with the diamond is the one I have a history on.
To keep it running, it needed a lot parts over the years including the back plate.
It began life the hard way as a soldier's watch in Vietnam.

Your 218 looks very original.

I wouldn't wear it at night because the humming sound can heard through my pillow.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember well when Accutrons came out. I was amazed at the accuracy they promised (one minute a month, if I recall); much better than the common wind-ups or even automatics. I wanted one!

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, they don't typically get that kind of accuracy anymore because they were designed to run on mercury 1.35v batteries.
Today's batteries are silver oxide at 1.55v.
The best one I have for keeping time is about 1.5 seconds a day. Usually they do somewhere between 6 on 10 seconds a day.

You can adjust the watch somewhat to account for the voltage change but they usually run a little fast.
If you take an old 218 or 214 that was never adjusted to the increase in voltage, the 1.55v batteries make them run super fast, even by several minutes a day.

I am interested if this is the case with Mars 218. If it runs super fast, then it is super original.

I stopped collecting 2 years ago because of my illness.
I think I am up to 23 or something.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice 218. As LBJ said, they can be modified to run reliably on silver batteries if yours does not. You cab also get special batteries. I have a few that just need cleaning, but I have not found anyone excited to work on the 218s. Let me know if you do.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like those beads of rice bands. I thought only Omega had them.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It's very similar in size and weight to my Rolex Zephyr.

New that watch was $135. That's over $900 in todays money!
So a Bulova was NOT a cheap watch!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I can hear it singing on my wrist. Big Grin

I guess getting this in 1967 was the equivalent of getting an iWatch?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in the Navy middle 60's bought one. Spent a whole months pay on it and had one of those Spidel twist-o-flex bands added to it. He was left handed and wore it on his left wrist. Was eating an apple and threw the core off back of ship he was on. He said he watched the apple core fly through the air with his Accutron w/twist-o-flex band right behind it.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Is there a good place to have them serviced? Mine needs a battery and a good cleaning and oiling.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
He said he watched the apple core fly through the air with his Accutron w/twist-o-flex band right behind it.

I can't help it, but that visual gave me a good laugh. What a shame though to lose a beautiful watch like that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
These are the models I remember.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:I wouldn't wear it at night because the humming sound can heard through my pillow.

I had one in the late '60's and when I took it off at night I had to be careful to place it on a soft cloth on my dresser. If I put it down on the glass top, the humming could be heard all over the room, apparently using the dresser as a sounding board.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Love my acutron, only wear it on special occasions, I also have a spare tuning fork or what ever you call it in my first that was in my first, it quit running, took it to the repair man, he said it was not worth repairing and sold me a used accutron that is still running, with annual battery changes.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The bracelet as a vintage Spidel piece is stupid expensive now.

A vintage one in that shape is $150! Eek

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post

This is a 1966 Spaceview that I inherited from my father. I remember how amazed we were as little kids when we saw it.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
A friend of mine in the Navy middle 60's bought one. Spent a whole months pay on it and had one of those Spidel twist-o-flex bands added to it. He was left handed and wore it on his left wrist. Was eating an apple and threw the core off back of ship he was on. He said he watched the apple core fly through the air with his Accutron w/twist-o-flex band right behind it.

When I was a teenager my father gave me his watch, I believe a Timex, that had a flexible band. We took out one or two links but the watch would ride up my hand. I don't recall that it ever flew off.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:

This is a 1966 Spaceview that I inherited from my father. I remember how amazed we were as little kids when we saw it.

My father had the stainless version of that watch he got as a 25 year service award from Bell South. Stretchy Spidel band and everything.

I too was beyond fascinated by the humming space watch.

It was destroyed in 1994 when our home was flooded.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!