SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospital dropped the ball sons MIL is dead...Update page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospital dropped the ball sons MIL is dead...Update page 3 Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Update! The hospital did a autopsy unbeknownst to my DIL and son. The doctor signed off on it but the medical examiner put a hold on the death certificate pending whatever. no one seems to know any more than that right now.

The kids found out about it at the funeral home when my daughter in law noticed what apparently were scalpel cuts on her moms body. She asked the funeral director and said a autopsy had apparently been performed and that he had just then learned the medical examiner had a hold on the death certificate.

I advised my son to consult a mal practice attorney as soon as they possibly can. Hopefully they will but things are chaotic for them right now so who knows what his wife will want to do.

Is this typical the hospital would just perform a autopsy without any notification to anyone? Are they trying to cover their tracks here or what?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The law may vary from state to state, and there are experts here on SF. My recollection is that unexplained/unexpected deaths in the hospital are reported to the coroner who can decide whether it appears death was due to natural causes or not.

The death of a 56-year-old just admitted to a rehab unit should definitely trigger an autopsy, IMO, and the coroner’s office would then do an investigation.

I have had one case involving a death in the cath lab—while my catheter was in the patient. Autopsy showed that death was due to rupture of the heart, due to previous heart attack, and not to my procedure. Needless to say a huge relief for me; very sad for the family who probably sued the doctors and hospital where he was prior to transfer to ours.

Just mentioning this to show that an unexpected in-hospital death is taken very seriously, or should be.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think the autopsy shows they are taking it seriously (or being forced to take is seriously) and if the medical examiner wants to do one, I don't think anyone can stop it.

But honestly, the best bet is for someone in the family to at least consult with a legal professional who deals with wrongful death in the state she died in.

Everything else is just noise IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Update! The hospital did a autopsy unbeknownst to my DIL and son. The doctor signed off on it but the medical examiner put a hold on the death certificate pending whatever. no one seems to know any more than that right now.

The kids found out about it at the funeral home when my daughter in law noticed what apparently were scalpel cuts on her moms body. She asked the funeral director and said a autopsy had apparently been performed and that he had just then learned the medical examiner had a hold on the death certificate.

I advised my son to consult a mal practice attorney as soon as they possibly can. Hopefully they will but things are chaotic for them right now so who knows what his wife will want to do.

Is this typical the hospital would just perform a autopsy without any notification to anyone? Are they trying to cover their tracks here or what?

A pending DC is issued prior to the final determination of cause of death, and is typical as a result of an autopsy. It is going to require that the ME review the autopsy and situation surrounding the death and then make a determination as to the actual cause.

It doesn't automatically mean foul play or malpractice it is most likely SOP in cases like this in order to properly determine the cause, that is the purpose of the process.

You will wait somewhere between 60 to 90 days for the DC to be issued a supplemental DC which will have the actual cause.

Pending isn't necessarily an indication of anything nefarious, and most likely the hospital is doing this as SOP.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this typical the hospital would just perform a autopsy without any notification to anyone?

Yes, it is not required that anyone in the family be notified

quote:
Are they trying to cover their tracks here or what?

They are usually trying to uncovered the cause of death

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
How heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers to your family. Did this happen in MN? I’d be curious as to which hospital, if you feel comfortable sharing - or if you could send to my email (I’m in MN, too, and thinking about having a heart procedure done in the near future, so it’s not just random curiosity).
I remember a guy I work with telling me how embarrassed he was when his gmil ended up in the hospital, and his wife’s family was constant and specific in their questions to the nursing and dr staff (they all had medical backgrounds). I’d told him he should be grateful to have married into such a family, because if anything happened to him, they’d be damned if anything got past them. And it shouldn’t have to be. I’m so sorry.

This particular hospital is out state Minnesota about 150 miles north of Mpls./St. Paul. If your in that area please feel free to email me and I will give you specific information. Your friends family is a good example. You are always your own best advocate. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you clearly understand the answers.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post