SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospital dropped the ball sons MIL is dead...Update page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospital dropped the ball sons MIL is dead...Update page 3 Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Bad deal. Inexcusable.

My condolences.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on what you have said about the situation, it does seem that it would be common sense to have closely monitored her breathing while in the re-hab unit.
My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My advice is to pay for an independent autopsy. The hospital will likely just have a doctor sign off on a death certificate without an autopsy being performed.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
IANAL but will give this advice as a father to a son that was damaged during surgery and we ended up in a lawsuit... as previously stated make notes of everything you remember being said, by whom and list anyone that witnessed that conversation.

From my understanding of the medical world of it is not written down it didn't happen. Therefore, request all of her medical records from the hospital and any outside/out of network/3rd party provider. Once you have all these records compare them. Sometimes, records are "corrected" (read CYA attempt). That "correction" is what happened in my son's case amd the ability to prove that is what won the case. Contact me offline (Rotndad@Gmail) if you want more specifics than that.

Prayers for all involved.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sympathies and prayers sent. I know this and future holiday seasons will be difficult times.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
My condolences on your families loss. I would strongly suggest seeking out the best malpractice attorney you can find.

My own experience with a "Rehab" facility was not good. They do not do very well in terms of monitoring patients. My experience was similar but I did not know I had sleep apnea. My wife had difficulty waking me up one morning and the nurse told her I was ok. After ten minutes trying to wake me she called our doctor and got me sent back to the hospital. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and put on CPAP. I refused rehab and went home.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Time after to deal with any potential legal issues.

Now just deal with the family.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I am sorry.

Contact a lawyer, but don't jump to any conclusions about fault. Those things can be incredibly complicated.

My condolences for your loss.

As for the possible legal considerations, I’ll echo what jhe888 said.

Do contact a medical malpractice attorney. Most med mal attorneys ONLY do med mal. The rest of us mostly refer med mal cases to those that do. There’s a reason for that.

Contact a med mal attorney now and let them advise you as to how any investigation should proceed and give you their initial impressions based on your state law and their professional experience.

It may seem straightforward from where you’re sitting, but meeting the legal threshold required to prevail in a med mal action can be extremely difficult.

Good luck and best wishes as your family goes through this.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I ‘m a physician and have seen my share of cases of true malpractice, this might well be one.
You will not be able to get records, arrange for autopsy, or negotiate with the hospital on your own. So I’d recommend following jhe88’s advice (in this case). The family needs advice from a malpractice attorney.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
No question, this is tragic story. My heart goes out to the family.

My first thoughts would not be legal, but under the circumstances perhaps warranted, at least a compitent consultation... However, should they choose not to go that route, its perfectly understandable. Again, thoughts and prayers...

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is such a sticky situation. My DIL and son are dealing with all the things one needs to deal with after such a event. Going after the hospital is not even on their radar and I don't think it's my place to tell them what they need to do at least not right now.

I asked my son last night when we were at his house if there would be a autopsy. He said no and I asked him to think about doing one. Before we could talk any further the pastor and my DIL came into the room and we broke off the conversation.

My daughter has two friends who are respitory therapists one in the hospital where she died and the one in a different hospital. They both told my daughter nearly identical statements. They said it's procedure that when a patients oxygen level drops anytime below 89 they provide oxygen and monitor that patient.

From what we know the sons MIL oxygen level dropped below 60 at one point during a sleep apnea episode while she was being monitored.

My wife is telling me hands off as long as the kids are trying to put this behind them so should we. I'm hoping I can find some time to talk to my son in confidence the next day or so. The funeral is Friday after which time she will be cremated.

I'm kind of hoping the insurance company attorneys will step in but I fear by the time this hits their radar she will be cremated.

And thanks to everyone for all the condolences and well wishes and advice.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss to your family. Best wishes for your daughter in-law and son for their healing. I think I can add a bit that may be helpful.

It would not surprise me if the hospital had no record of the apnea -- or at least, no record of it in the rehab unit.

The EMR (Electronic Medical Record) is the "memory" of the patient and care plan which would be shared across the dozen or more people mentioned earlier in this thread. Hospitals with fewer resources often have older, fragmented systems. Older systems often lacked modules pertaining to certain areas of care. Something recorded on the "problem list" in the ICU may not be in the system in the rehab because they might use a differed point-solution system from another vendor. Heck, they may even be on paper! In any case, when this happens, it's almost as if they are discharged from one facility to another even when they are in the same building.

And data flow between EMR systems is notoriously poor, though getting better finally. Vendors were very hesitant to cooperate with this objective for decades really. "If you want good data flow and lack of siloed data, just buy it all from us" was the gist.

It could be a contributing factor worth investigating.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
How heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers to your family. Did this happen in MN? I’d be curious as to which hospital, if you feel comfortable sharing - or if you could send to my email (I’m in MN, too, and thinking about having a heart procedure done in the near future, so it’s not just random curiosity).
I remember a guy I work with telling me how embarrassed he was when his gmil ended up in the hospital, and his wife’s family was constant and specific in their questions to the nursing and dr staff (they all had medical backgrounds). I’d told him he should be grateful to have married into such a family, because if anything happened to him, they’d be damned if anything got past them. And it shouldn’t have to be. I’m so sorry.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I do investigations for the (ME)medical examiner's office. This would actually be an ME case since a fall was involved, and would possibly require an autopsy!

My first question as an investigator, how or what made a 56 year old fall to where they are paralyzed?

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had similar happen ,

my FIL passed while in rehab,

he had cancer in the lung, local (and found out later crappy) hospital in a small town removed the lower lobe, and all was well,
then it wasn't , not sure what happened, but he went from surgery, to ICU , one overnight and back to surgery for something,

couple weeks in the hospital, and he went to rehab to get his strength back,

while there, they took him off the ventilator, but left the vent in,
he coughed up some phlegm and choked,
didn't kill him, but he was basically dead,

wife, sister and mom had to make that dreaded decision and have the plug pulled,

that was 25+ yrs ago, no one wanted to push the issue, since what was done, was done,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father died due to hospital error.
My mother died after cancer treatments were delayed due to misdiagnosis.

I work in an industry where we have "process controls" and "procedures"....and quality engineers roaming around to make sure everything is copacetic. Every time I go to a hospital, I am appalled that it just seems like no one is really coordinating anything....even the initial check-in process.
I once had to go in for a non-critical injury, so just as a test I went and stood right in front of the check-in window without saying anything, and no one even asked if they could help me or if I had a question or anything for a full 20 minutes.

I have noticed this phenomenon in other "educated" professions, because I didn't go back to school until well into adulthood. In normal businesses, where you have to deal with the public and/or create a product, there will be great emphasis on employee training and quality. But in the educated professions, they arrogantly and naively assume that "professionals" will act professionally....but they simply don't even know what that really means. They just got out of school and were thrown into the deep end. So there is just chaos and incompetence allowed to run amok.

@ lyman:
"that was 25+ yrs ago, no one wanted to push the issue, since what was done, was done"

Exactly the same with my father. We would have had a very easy malpractice suit. But my Father was dead, and that grief blotted out any other considerations for a long time.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
My father died due to hospital error.
My mother died after cancer treatments were delayed due to misdiagnosis.

I work in an industry where we have "process controls" and "procedures"....and quality engineers roaming around to make sure everything is copacetic. Every time I go to a hospital, I am appalled that it just seems like no one is really coordinating anything....even the initial check-in process.
I once had to go in for a non-critical injury, so just as a test I went and stood right in front of the check-in window without saying anything, and no one even asked if they could help me or if I had a question or anything for a full 20 minutes.

I have noticed this phenomenon in other "educated" professions, because I didn't go back to school until well into adulthood. In normal businesses, where you have to deal with the public and/or create a product, there will be great emphasis on employee training and quality. But in the educated professions, they arrogantly and naively assume that "professionals" will act professionally....but they simply don't even know what that really means. They just got out of school and were thrown into the deep end. So there is just chaos and incompetence allowed to run amok.

not to drift too far off , but the bolded part is correct,

seen it during many visits to the hospitals, (will admit that hospitals may have a different set of procedures and management than I am used too)
and law offices as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. I can offer no suggestions, only prayers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post