SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new gunsmith.... (near Raleigh)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new gunsmith.... (near Raleigh) Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Just found out my gunsmith has retired and I need a CZ 17 caliber barrel rifle threaded the same as an AR (I have a can that fits my AR and I want to use it on this too, 1/2 x28 tpi)

Anyone know where I can drive the rifle to and get it worked on? Near Raleigh.

Do we have someone here who is a gunsmith? I'd rather give my money to someone I know than just some guy I just met....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, Granville Gun Works just up Hwy 50 in Creedmoor can do it. Jimmy Minor is the owner/gunsmith.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weird Al is
My Hero
Picture of mini68rt
posted Hide Post
I have had good work done by Ogburn gun repair. Looks like he has partnered with Triangle Shooting Academy.

No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip.
The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip.

Posts: 858 | Location: Way Too Close to UNC , NC | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
It's a bit of a drive but John at Shooters in Fayetteville is excellent.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Ogburn is hit or miss. IMO, more complaints than compliments. Long story but immediately after he returned a carry gun (small revolver) I showed it to my FFL who discovered what could have been a fatal flaw. Obviously, I would not let him within 100 yards of one of my firearms. Lots of bad reviews on local gun bbs.

The guys I use stay busy are really not looking for a lot of new customers. Email inbound with names.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Mike,

Ogburn is hit or miss. IMO, more complaints than compliments. Long story but immediately after he returned a carry gun (small revolver) I showed it to my FFL who discovered what could have been a fatal flaw. Obviously, I would not let him within 100 yards of one of my firearms. Lots of bad reviews on local gun bbs.

The guys I use stay busy are really not looking for a lot of new customers. Email inbound with names.

Good to know, thanks

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Got it done at ECSI in Wendell.

I spoke to an acquaintance at Perrys Gun Shop and she and several others recommended Tom at ECSI just down the street from them.

I saw online he had two bad reviews and no others....but I get why he may come across as curt by the people who might begin to tell a professional how to do their job...

The transaction was flawless.

He was personable and even recessed the muzzle so I wouldn't damage the muzzle.

Price was very reasonable.

Dropped it off on Thursday around 1530..he called me at 0930 Friday morning saying it was done.