SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder: Always wear glasses when shooting!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminder: Always wear glasses when shooting! Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I had a reminder this weekend. Messing around with a Walther PPQ in 22LR. Was shooting suppressed pew, pew, pew, BANG!!!

Either had a over charged round or it fired out of battery. The 2nd is my guess. But my face got sprayed with burnt powder and debris. I was just standing in my folks backyard plinking at some old coffee cans. I was wearing safety glasses. It was a reminder on why I was.

Reminder guys: Don't take your vision for granted. Wear some safety glasses just in case.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. Have seen 'bounce back' shrapnel break the skin on shooters numerous times.

If those particles hit an eyeball it would be very damaging if not blinding to the eye.

Can never over-stress this. I am always on my wife to wear eye-pro when doing powered yard work also...

Great PSA-

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I am always on my wife to wear eye-pro when doing powered yard work also...

I was reminded of this the other day while weed-whacking. Took numerous hits to the glasses that would have, if not much worse, hurt like a mother.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I am always on my wife to wear eye-pro when doing powered yard work also...

I was reminded of this the other day while weed-whacking. Took numerous hits to the glasses that would have, if not much worse, hurt like a mother.

Absolutely. Line trimmers are the worst. I won't use them unless I'm wearing long pants, too.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And ensure your 'protective eye-wear' is actually protective.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lab...ting-glasses-review/

I have Smith Optics Aegis Arc / Arc Compact for all my family members. Someplace had a blowout sale on them last year for @$20 a pair.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Several years I was shooting steel, from the bench at 100 yds, with an 03 A3, 30.06, using milsurp fmj ammo.
Heard a round hit the gong and felt an impact on my nose.
Round hit the steel, richeocht cut my nose and made three deep scratches in my shooting glasses.
Keep the glasses in my range bag and relate this incident to any shooting buddies who choose not to wear eye protection.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Several years I was shooting steel, from the bench at 100 yds, with an 03 A3, 30.06, using milsurp fmj ammo.
Heard a round hit the gong and felt an impact on my nose.
Round hit the steel, ricochet cut my nose and made three deep scratches in my shooting glasses.
Keep the glasses in my range bag and relate this incident to any shooting buddies who choose not to wear eye protection.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
They can make pretty good rubber noses, even ears, but so far making a functioning rubber eyeball has eluded them......

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post