SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    7-11 employee on smoke break, smokes would be robber.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-11 employee on smoke break, smokes would be robber. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
She wasn't unscathed, but she was in better shape than the criminal.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...b8-5043e2247013.html

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Well, they're right smoking can kill Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
She wasn't unscathed, but she was in better shape than the criminal.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...b8-5043e2247013.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sweet

hope she recovers without a limp

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess armed robbery is more unhealthy than cigarettes.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The store was open for business about two hours later.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Hope she doesn't get fired (no pun intended).

Didn't a similar thing happen just a couple of months ago, where the employee was outside the store?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Anyone care to post the article in the body of thread so I can read it? I wish I could get adblock for my phone. I know the purpose of journalism is to sell advertising and brainwash your readers. How am I supposed to be influenced by your media bias if you make it so freaking hard to read your crap. (General rant, I didn't get to read enough before it crashed browser three times to actually know if there was any bias).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
7-Eleven worker on smoke break kills would-be robber in shootout at St. Louis store

By Christine Byers and Nassim Benchaabane St. Louis Post-Dispatch 4 hrs ago

ST. LOUIS • The night after a 7-Eleven employee found herself in a fatal early morning shootout with an armed robber Monday, a worker in his first day on the job at the same store swore he would never work the wee hours there.

“I want to feel safe,” Davon Dodson said. “I let them (the 7-Eleven operators) know I would never work overnight. No way.”

Homicide detectives were at the scene at 509 Bates Street after the 3:50 a.m. shooting, in the city’s Carondelet neighborhood a few blocks west of Interstate 55.

The female worker involved in the shootout had stepped out for a smoke break when an armed man tried to rob her. She pulled out a gun and exchanged fire with the would-be robber, killing him.

The robber, 30, was shot in the chest, arm and thigh, police said. He died from his injuries at St. Louis University Hospital.

The woman, 35, whom police have not identified, was shot twice in the leg. Police said she was conscious and breathing when she was taken to a hospital, where she was stable. Her medical condition was unavailable.

The store was open for business about two hours after the shooting.

Employees said Monday evening that the woman involved in the shooting had worked at the store for years.

A man who had been working with her at the time of the shootout quit later that morning, employees said.

Brian Richardson, another worker, spent the morning answering messages and calls from friends who heard about the shooting and wanted to know what happened and to check that he was OK.

“My phone was blowing up,” Richardson, 44, said.

The safety risks of working at night are not worth the pay, said Richardson, who has worked day shifts at the store since November.

“We need a security guard — you can quote me on that,” he said.

The owner of the store had been by to check on the workers, Richardson said.

He said the store had been robbed before, but this was the first time he knew of anyone getting hurt there.

Richardson said he didn’t know the woman who shot the robber owned a gun.

“But I think anybody would defend themselves if they were in her position,” he said.

Dodson, the worker on his first day, said he has worked overnight shifts in past jobs but only if his employers kept him “locked in” a safe building without public access, he said.

He said he’d been at the Bates Street 7-Eleven often in the past and found it to be busy most days. Many of the customers lived nearby and were friends with the employees, he said.

“There aren’t too many other stores around here,” he said, “so we get a lot of people stopping in.”

He said the area was generally safe.

“We have some trouble, but it’s generally pretty quiet,” he said. “If you’re looking for trouble, though, you may find it.”

Dodson said he would talk to the worker involved in the shooting when he would stop by the store to grab pizza after getting off work at past jobs at night, he said. She was easy to talk to, he said.

“I was glad she protected herself,” he said. “We’re calling her a she-ro.”

Shane Mack lives around the corner from the store. He said Monday evening that just after the shooting he heard a woman screaming, and he assumed it was the worker. He walked over to the store and found it taped off by police.

Mack didn't know the employee very well but knew that she was a mother who worked hard and was nice to customers. He said the would-be robber "deserved to get what he got" for pointing a gun at her.

"It's unfair," he said. "She ain't done anything wrong. She was just taking a break and he attacked."

Chad Laforce, 35, of the Bevo Mill neighborhood said he comes to the store "every now and then" to buy a drink while he's working. Laforce has worked in the area surrounding the store for several years as a delivery driver.

Laforce was the target of two attempted robberies last year, he said. In one attempt, he was making a delivery when a car pulled up in front of the house and someone pulled a gun on him, but the gunman left when the person at the home called police. Two cars he was driving to make deliveries were stolen.

"It's sad, man," he said of the robbery attempt at the 7-Eleven. "This area has been getting rougher lately. I hear too many sirens and gunshots at night."

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
technically, if she was on a break, can she apply for workmans compensation ?

if and when I win the giant power ball , there will be a fund set up for people who end a bad guy(s)
at least $2,500.00 ,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
It being 7-11 there is a good chance she will be fired. They have a strict no firearms policy.

Not too long ago, a local 7-11 was robbed at gunpoint, the perp took the clerk out to her car to retrieve her personal money. She retrieved her firearm instead and perforated the guy. IIRC she lost her job.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It's sad, man," he said of the robbery attempt at the 7-Eleven. "This area has been getting rougher lately. I hear too many sirens and gunshots at night."

My little brother used to live around the corner from there... that's why he moved out.

quote:
It being 7-11 there is a good chance she will be fired. They have a strict no firearms policy.

That would be foolish. They'd might as well just close the store.
No sane person would work overnight in that location without being armed. One other worker has quit already.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

Not too long ago, a local 7-11 was robbed at gunpoint, the perp took the clerk out to her car to retrieve her personal money. She retrieved her firearm instead and perforated the guy. IIRC she lost her job.

7/11 are a franchise. My semi-local one is owned by this really quiet Asian guy, he bent over to pick up a box of cigs for me and exposed his G19, I asked him about it and he told me to stop in at 3am and tell me if I would work there at that time without a gun.. I patted my hip and said "I won't come in here at noon unarmed" we both laughed.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
7-11 has a history of firing employees who have defended themselves with firearms. There have been several cases where their zero tolerance policy has resulted in people getting canned.

And "she-ro"? Really?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well written story. It's a shame she was shot, but I'm glad she is alive.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Thank you, come again! [/Apu]

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Thank you, come again! [/Apu]

More like: Bang! Don't come again!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post