SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    YZF R1 first extended ride and thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YZF R1 first extended ride and thoughts Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I got my Yamaha R1 completely fixed and went for a ride today. I can happily report that the tranny issues are gone! It's shifting perfectly and running VERY good. I can't believe a spring costing less than $2.00 could cause all those shifting issues but it did!

I got on the throttle in a remote area of the country where I like to braaap my CB-1. I twisted the throttle a bit in second and third then I glanced down at my speedo and was shocked to see three digits indicated. Eek This damn thing is fast. I absolutely cannot ride this bike like my CB-1 and SV650 if I expect to keep my license.

The wind protection is pretty bad. Yeah, I'm aware it is missing 75% of its fairings but the windscreen is too low to tuck in and expect to get much wind protection. While riding in the neighborhood I was surprised how hot the frame got. The fairings probably would keep my leg from hitting that part of the frame.

The ergos are not too bad. I'm still getting used to the feel of the bike but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. This R1 has a very nice seat. The tank feels kinda weird and it feels fat but I'm coming from a V twin and small 400cc sportbike so I guess I should expect the R1 to feel a bit wider.

All in all it's damn cool bike. It needs a double bubble windscreen and some work on the rear brakes but overall I really like this Yamaha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've used the power to get out of sticky situations multiple times. Sometimes 'on the throttle' is a faster 'out' than breaking when someone is moving over on you. If breaking, got time to check your 6?

Just get familiar w/ it and get used to leaning into the wind. After a while you don't even notice it. I don't tuck way down unless I'm doing 90+.
I can't imagine being w/o a full faced helmet.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I use the power every single ride. Nothing better than a 2nd gear corner then wfo right after the apex, still leaned over, hammering it through 3rd, 4th, then letting the throttle go to get back to legal ish speeds.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I can absolutely see how people get hurt by these supersports. It is insane how fast this bike will accelerate and it's an 18 year old bike.

The current crop of superbikes must be mind blowing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I use the power every single ride. Nothing better than a 2nd gear corner then wfo right after the apex, still leaned over, hammering it through 3rd, 4th, then letting the throttle go to get back to legal ish speeds.

I was feeling froggy the other day and did that on the FJ. My shit-eating grin faded a bit when I looked down and saw 3 digits on the speedo when shifting out of 4th and I was still a good 3000 rpm short of redline...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, the saying about how it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow has quite a bit of merit.

I have a Yamaha DT50 which is a 49cc dual sport with a 6 speed. Technically it falls into the moped category but (and I know this is going to sound lame) I actually have quite a bit of fun wringing the absolute snot out of that little bike. I can take it up to redline in the fist four gears and be doing about the speed limit when I leave my neighborhood. If I rode the R1 like I do my DT50 I'd already be dead.

I have a friend in Virginia who recently found two Aprilia RS50 bikes being sold as a package deal. I'm actually considering buying them. 50cc, a 6 speed and sport bike looks along with street legal status sounds like a ton of fun. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I can absolutely see how people get hurt by these supersports. It is insane how fast this bike will accelerate and it's an 18 year old bike.

The current crop of superbikes must be mind blowing.

My 17 years old busa will hit 3 digits in second gear if your red line at first.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dsiets:
I've used the power to get out of sticky situations multiple times. Sometimes 'on the throttle' is a faster 'out' than breaking when someone is moving over on you. If breaking, got time to check your 6? {QUOTE]

The throttle and counter steering has saved my ass more than brakes by far and that's on a cruiser, not a sport bike. One time when a pickup pulled in front of me when I was doing 45, if I'd hit the brakes I would have broad sided him at 30 for sure. Instead I counter steered behind him and missed his rear bumper by a good foot. I can't stress enough how important practicing using the throttle and counter steering often until it becomes second nature.

Stickman, I'm happy you got the bugs worked out on the R1. Have fun and be safe.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Stick

Yeah, the R1 has ungodly power to get you in trouble.
But the grin factor sure makes you young, doesn't it?
Big Grin

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rainman,

Absolutely. The first time I rode it I could not stop smiling and laughing and I only had first gear. The power, punch and tendency of the front wheel to lift under a bit of throttle was wild.

It's definitely a fun bike. Scary fast but still loads of fun. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be that fast. When I finally got to let it stretch its legs, bang through the gears and then glanced down at the speedo I had a holy fuck moment. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I was feeling froggy the other day and did that on the FJ. My shit-eating grin faded a bit when I looked down and saw 3 digits on the speedo when shifting out of 4th and I was still a good 3000 rpm short of redline...

Many years ago, I was riding my FJ going down an on ramp getting on a freeway shifting gears. I went to shift again and realized I was already in fifth, doing 130 and hadn't even reached the merge part of the on ramp yet. Back in those days, FJs had five gears, were air cooled, and the fancy electronics consisted of a digital LCD clock.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Who do you guys like when it comes to steering stabilizers? The front end on these bikes is known to get a little shaketastic at high speeds. I noticed it during my brief ride the other day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Who do you guys like when it comes to steering stabilizers? The front end on these bikes is known to get a little shaketastic at high speeds. I noticed it during my brief ride the other day.

What are your options for a bike of that vintage? Ohlins is best for everything, but there were a few other brands that performed as required, without breaking the bank

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with steering dampers, but I recall seeing Ohlins and Scotts on race bikes at the tracks. The Scotts was a unique design.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Öhlins and Scotts are two stabilizers that are available for my R1. There are also a few brands I am not as familiar with and some cheap options on ebay. I don't think I'm gonna go with a cheap stabalizer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Ohlins. But please don't try their forks or shock, you'll never go back.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Alright. Yeah. Rainman it absolutely makes me feel like a 17 year old squid again....riding a moto for the first time and falling head over heels in love with the experience! This bike is fucking incredible! I love it!!!!!!

I went for a ride today. I've gotten a little more comfortable with the ergos and power and I could not stop smiling, laughing, and cussing in jubilation. This R1 is perfect.

I'm a bit of a cuntly snowflake when it comes to change....I don't typically like it. Yeah it's a flaw of mine and I'm aware of it. I try to be open minded though. This R1, much like my beloved Honda CB-1 took a little time to get used to. I'm a little less intimidated by the R1 though I ABSOLUTELY respect it's power and speed. Today I glanced down at the speedo on a desolate open road in 2nd and yanked the throttle to full....I could not fricking believe how quickly those numbers climbed. Big Grin. It feels light, flickable, comfy and ungodly fast. I love it!

Did I mention I love this R1?! What a bike!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
The biggest different of the old sport bike and the newer generation sport bike is the brake, I can just jump on the S1000R and ride like a crazy mf, but with the busa I need extra underwear.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post