SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People that know Raptors....now the rest of the story.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People that know Raptors....now the rest of the story. Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
The last few weeks I've had a pair of doves that hang around the building i work in.

This morning i walked outside and one of them flew down and landed right next to me

A second later i see this raptor fly right over me and then fly up and land on my building

It stayed and watched for quite awhile before it flew away.

I think the dove was using me for protection.

What kind of raptor is it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: navyshooter,

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am going to say a Swainson's hawk.

Could be immature Cooper or Sharp shinned too

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
BTW im located in San Diego

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm a birder/wild bird photographer, and it looks like a peregrine falcon due to the dark cheeks and head...which resembles a helmet.

Just today, I was watching two Coopers following each other, trying to scare up some doves in the area, but I didn't see any kills today. Not for certain,but again, looks like a peregrine.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Eurasian collared dove

The raptor is likely a peregrine falcon, but it could also be a prairie falcon just hanging out.

Peregrine falcons are F cool and pretty adaptable. The coolest place I've seen one was at the top of the Palazzo hotel in Las Vegas.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'm going with peregrine. Yes, I'd say that dove was using you for protection Smile.

Peregrines have been known to hang out in cities, nest on tall bldgs, bridges, etc.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That is a falcon.

Yeah, the dove used you for cover.

See the side of its face, it has clown tears.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That dove is, like another post said, a Eurasian Collared Dove. It's an introduced species that is crowding out our native doves. You should have let the falcon have him. Wink

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I miss Borrego Springs

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54610 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That dove is, like another post said, a Eurasian Collared Dove. It's an introduced species that is crowding out our native doves. You should have let the falcon have him. Wink

I think the Falcon got the Doves mate......I found a bunch of dove feathers later in the day.

There's a mating pair of Red Tailed Hawks by my house that I like to watch hunt. They do a job on the local ground squirrel population. Smile

Montani Semper Liberi

Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I was out in the Hangar bay and saw the Dove fly by with the Falcon in hot pursuit.......I walked outside and saw breakfast was happening.

...I wonder if Falcons eat Seagulls Smile

Montani Semper Liberi

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Osprey eat doves. That second bird looks like an Osprey.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
BTW im located in San Diego

There's a dove hatching her eggs in a nest a few feet away from a staircase in my San Diego condo right now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54610 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Its an African no European .... ahhhhhaggggh..''!!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Its an African no European .... ahhhhhaggggh..''!!

Look, a 5oz bird cannot carry a 1 pound coconut!

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be a Ford thing. Big Grin

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
He's preparing to attack you too, starting with severing all the power!!!! Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The building that my wife works in has a pair of peregrine's that she enjoys watching when she goes outside at lunch time. One day she took a pair of binoculars to work with her in order to get a better look, and that of course drew a little attention, so they soon had a group of people staring up at them. She's telling me this, and starts laughing, so I asked what was so funny, aside from a bunch of people who had apparently never realized what they were before. She said that I should have been there to see the looks on people's faces when one of the peregrine's pounced on a "poor smaller bird". Guess they didn't know that peregrine's have to eat too.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post