SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fiberglass boat repair
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass boat repair Login/Join 
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
http://www.bbcboards.net/forum.php
Has allot of info on the boat repair board.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like West Systems. They have some nice small project kits with everything you need except sandpaper.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
The polyester vs epoxy argument been going on as long as they have been building glass boats. I keep both in stock as they both have their merits. Epoxy's main benefit is it's adhesive properties. Polyester's benefits are mostly economical as it's cheaper and cures faster. For cored hulls with thin laminates, I would choose epoxy. For thicker laminates or gouges that are slightly more than cosmetic, I would go with polyester. Fact is, there "professionals" that would repair your boat with nothing more than bondo and gelcoat and still charge you $500-$1000.

I think your plan is good and it is a good skill to develope for a boat owner. The most challenging part of any repair is color matching. Unless the boat is almost new and I have the original gelcoat, my only guaranty is it won't match. What color is your boat? Whites and off whites are not bad, darker colors are a PIA. You are fortunate that the repair is on the bottom and not very visible.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Fred

It's an off-white. I ordered yellow, brown, and black pigments to color the white gelcoat with.

I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but I'd sure like "close enough", and hospital-sterile bright white is not it. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post