SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Army Squads Getting New Marksman Rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Army Squads Getting New Marksman Rifles Login/Join 
posted
This in by Popular Mechanics...

Another new one? Weighs in at 15 lbs., and only approx. $12000.00 ea., why so expensive??

No mention in the article of it being a piston gun. The shape of things to come.

https://www.popularmechanics.c...new-marksman-rifles/

HK Website

https://www.heckler-koch.com/e...-a2-13/overview.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It is piston operated.

Keep in mind that the weight and the price tag both include the scope. As mentioned at the end of the article, at least ~$4k of that price tag is the scope alone.

Its predecessors, the M14 EBR and M110, both weighed around 15 pounds with magazine, scope, and bipod.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
That forend looks heavy.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me they're getting the "special government price" on those 1.5 moa rifles.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
why so expensive??

Because HK.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
why so expensive??

Because HK.

Combine that with government contract, aka someone is getting some kick back, and that's how the price tag is so high.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It’s piston operated.

It’s expensive because the military normally buys the whole “kit”, to include training materials, etc.

Of course it’s far superior to a PSA hobby 308.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rpm2010
"Another new one? Weighs in at 15 lbs., and only approx. $12000.00 ea., why so expensive??"

The rifles are free,that is the cost of the HK magazine.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
waste of time and money...the M14 in the sage chassis and tuned is just as effective...

and Uncle Sam ALREADY owns the M14's...and is ALREADY paying the armorers.

we had some M14's in the CG that the rotor heads used to shoot boat engines...they were plenty accurate and the 7.62NATO round (and others) does what the report requires....

someone is going to make a buncha money off this.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For those of us who don't regularly argue the merits of "sniper" gear, what would a realistic cost figure be for a setup suitable to the task? What MOA would a top-level sniper be striving for? And what would this Bob Lee Swagger fellow choose if budget were no impediment?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many precision rifles shoot 1/4 moa, at least bolt action rifles do. Typically would cost $4,500 or so plus a $4,000 scope for very high end.

POF rifles, which are piston driven, are about 1/2 moa in my experience.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
That forend looks heavy.

Military authorities apparently have been concerned that the off hands of their troops were simply not getting enough exercise. Roll Eyes

Yeah...hold a civilian MR556A1 and it's clear that HK is intent of dampening the wicked, nefarious evil of muzzle flip.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm all for the best equipment, but extensive training doesn't take the place of cool gear.

How many of our enemies are using an AK-47 that is rusted almost shut, with no scope or red dot?

Yes we should have superior firepower, but the person behind the trigger is equally important.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just some background info for folks who weren't Army Infantry.

There are theoretically officially Sniper-trained soldiers in every Infantry battalion (a battalion is ~700 men). But they are assigned to the Scout Platoon of the Headquarters Company and report / serve as a Battalion asset. They are not in the line platoons unless 'tasked-down' in support of normal platoon / company operations. That could happen but not usually as the scouts-snipers serve as an asset to the Battalion Commander and they perform a very important function as the 'eyes and ears' of the commander.

So this rifle is an attempt to bridge the gap between 'avarage-Joe' with an M4 and the high-speed Sniper at the Battalion level who there are a very select few of. Maybe ~10 in a Battalion of 700+ men.

The thing I wonder about is what soldiers in the Infantry squad are skilled enough to employ this more advanced weapon system? And what level of training will they get to maximize its effectiveness?

Why do I ask this? Because typically the more experienced soldiers in an Infantry squad get the M203 grenade launchers and the m249 belt-fed LMGs. Your 'new-guy' is the only one with 'just' an M4. So now the question becomes - what weapon system is going to be relegated to the newest / least experienced soldier?

The M203 grenade launcher requires additional training and specialization to master.
The M249 is a belt-fed and requires different / additional training to master.
The new DRM weapon will require additional training to master and employ most effectively.

So the 'new guy' private - head still spinning - 18 / 19 year-old fresh out of basic training used to get 'just' an M4 to be able to acclimate.

I'm all for new / better gear that makes us more lethal but without thoughtful planning and execution PLUS additional sufficient training its not going to be employed anywhere near its full effectiveness.

My time in the Infantry is long-passed but I can foresee employment issues. Any current Infantrymen who could educate us?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The British Army and Royal Marines bought the exceptionally fine LMT rifle in 7.62x51 calibre, stuck a decent bipod on it and a mid-range S&B scope on it.

Everybody I've ever spoken to about it says the same thing - what a GREAT piece of machinery it is!

I've only ever handled it - here in UK we are not allowed to shoot it, just fondle it - but I have to agree that it is, indeed, a very fine item. Only the little matter of the lack of just over $5800 prevents me from having a straight-pull version of my own.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
waste of time and money...the M14 in the sage chassis and tuned is just as effective...

Eek

The EBR is a 15lb rifle and that's without the scope, ammo, bipod...fun times on patrol.
The upper receiver couldn't hold zero and various scopes had mount issues.
20" barrel made patrolling in MOUT environment difficult.
20" barrel with suppressor is problematic and overly awkward for any patrolling.
Parts and magazines became hard to come by as the supply chain became stretched due the rifle being non-standard inventory.
The Joe's going downrange had to get retrained as they all were familiar with the M16/M4 family of weapons. Not difficult but just another box to check.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

The new DRM weapon will require additional training to master and employ most effectively.

So the 'new guy' private - head still spinning - 18 / 19 year-old fresh out of basic training used to get 'just' an M4 to be able to acclimate.

I'm all for new / better gear that makes us more lethal but without thoughtful planning and execution PLUS additional sufficient training its not going to be employed anywhere near its full effectiveness.

My time in the Infantry is long-passed but I can foresee employment issues. Any current Infantrymen who could educate us?

I'm not a veteran, so hopefully I'm not going too far outside my lane, but from what I've read there's a designated marksman course that covers that training. I believe it's a 2-week course that covers more advanced marksmanship skills, out to longer ranges, and training on the DMR. The course is for the designated marksmen in each unit.

Whether or not every designated marksmen gets that training, or how effective/practical it is in the real world, I can't say.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post