SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you love bacon. With apologies to sjtill and the other docs on the forum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you love bacon. With apologies to sjtill and the other docs on the forum Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Just found a new form of crack. Candied bacon. The wife and I had some running around to do today. Stopped by Bob Evans for late lunch/early dinner. Saw candied bacon on the menu. Damn good. Nice and crunchy. Just regular bacon baked in brown sugar. Wanted to order some more but declined seeing as how the wife was giving me that look over her glasses. Ever in a Bob Evans, I highly suggest you try some. Even if you only try once or twice a month. Wink

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
good stuff, and easy to make in your own oven.
In addition to the dark brown sugar, I add a healthy portion of freshly ground black pepper.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
good stuff, and easy to make in your own oven.
In addition to the dark brown sugar, I add a healthy portion of freshly ground black pepper.

and a pinch of Rib Rub. We use this for BLT's at casa de Sweden....never had leftovers. Smile

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27942 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
You had me at bacon Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's Jacques Pepin. (He was chef to Charles de Gaulle and turned down JFKs offer to be the White House chef.)

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNYL9mLAFyY

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Damn. I need to get out more culinary wise. Wink

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I like bacon well enough (taken to mean that I can take it or leave it), but that sounds really good. Just be sure to take some extra niacin and you'll be fine.

I prefer sausage myself. Easier to cook, less messy, and much tastier.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You can do the same thing with thin strips of salmon or steelhead. Yum.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We drizzle maple syrup on each slice, sprinkle with brown sugar and black pepper. Good stuff.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I like bacon well enough (taken to mean that I can take it or leave it), but that sounds really good. Just be sure to take some extra niacin and you'll be fine.

I prefer sausage myself. Easier to cook, less messy, and much tastier.

You are dead to me. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had it numerous times as an hors d'oeuvre. I have to admit, it's hard to pass up.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'm here getting my insulin pen ready for my shot tonight.

There is nothing in the culinary world I'd be less willing to change, than screwing with my bacon with something like these.....condiments......*sputter*sputter*

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is good, damn good - Smoked bourbon pig candy (aka bacon w/ brown sugar, bourbon, maple syrup, honey, and a rub)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I had some at Bob Evans and it was decent.
Then I had some candied bacon at 12 Bones in Asheville, NC and it was absolutely the most delictable, unctuous, and tantalizing thing I've ever shoved into my mouth.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
There's a place in Vegas called "Stacks and Yolks" that has something similar called "Bacon from Heaven". Basically the same thing as the candied bacon but 2" thick and so soft you can cut it with a spoon.

Truth in advertising Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, Cliff, now that you've brought it to my attention...I gotta get me some!! Big Grin

BTW really enjoyed meeting up with you in DC!

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Stan, I enjoyed it as well. Too bad the job got in the way. By the way, did not get home till 1130 that night.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Mom started making chocolate covered bacon for us at Christmas time 11-12 years ago.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this tonight -

13 Ways People eat Bacon around the World

http://www.msn.com/en-us/fooda...s-AAnoBcM?li=BBnb7Kz

One of them - Hungary, sounds different - bacon brined in garlic saline for 5 days, then dry-cured in salt, coated with beef blood and paprika, then smoked to burn off the salt-blood coating.

The last one, for England, is a bit what I remember from my visits there - a bit more lean, but LOTS of flavor.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post