SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS Group Admission
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS Group Admission Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I've thought about this before, but Jim Shugart's SCOTUS visit thread (and jhe888's comment) got me thinking that maybe it's actually a good idea.

We have an ever-expanding SigForum Bar Association and I suspect there may be more members than jhe888 who are not admitted to SCOTUS.

I am, and I would be happy to sponsor and move for any SigForum Bar Association member's admission.

IIRC, two SCOTUS member sponsors are needed, so perhaps there's another SFBA member (already admitted) that could jump in here with me and be the second sponsor?

Also, if we can coordinate schedules, it's actually quite a good time to participate in their "Small Group Admission" days, which includes breakfast in the dining room followed by admission prior to whatever oral arguments are on the docket. Max group size is 12, but I don't think that would be a problem given our geographic spread (although you're certainly all welcome to come to D.C. for the day to participate).

Regardless, no appearance is necessary, but I'm happy to coordinate the group admission and/or just sponsor and/or move for your admissions.

Reply to this thread or shoot me an e-mail if you're interested and we'll see if this goes anywhere.

Requirements are two sponsors, a certificate of good standing, and $200. Comes with a very nice certificate of admission, suitable for framing.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Rob, you said "reply to this thread or ... email."

I am not a lawyer (my younger step-son is), but unless a forum member has a personal reason to keep it private, I would really like to see the replies here in this thread.

Vicarious appreciation of other forum members' achievements. Sort of like following Maya-the-Archer.

ps: Hey, ArtieS -- are we going to hear from you?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a SCOTUS member and be happy to sponsor a Sig Forum member.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Southflorida-law!

That takes care of sponsors.

Who's in?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'd be cheating! I don't practice courtroom law and haven't been in court as a lawyer since my army days in 1995.

Sure, as a lawyer I am eligible for admission and if I practiced some form of litigation, I would absolutely go for this, but it just doesn't fit my practice.

Very generous offer, however, and I appreciate the thought.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I feel like I'd be cheating! I don't practice courtroom law and haven't been in court as a lawyer since my army days in 1995.

Sure, as a lawyer I am eligible for admission and if I practiced some form of litigation, I would absolutely go for this, but it just doesn't fit my practice.

But you have to be admitted before one of more state Supreme Courts whether you litigate, or even practice law. There is no requirement, or even inference, that you actually are going to litigate cases before the Supreme Court.

That said, there is no particular advantage or disadvantage either way. If you are handling a case headed for the Supreme Court, becoming admitted is the least of your worries.

I toyed with the idea for many years. Being a master of procrastination, I never did it. Now there is no point in it, and being inactive, I probably am not even eligible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will tell you that the only reason I did it was I thought it was kind of cool. Face it, becoming a lawyer in your state is a whole hell of a lot harder than finding 2 people to sign off and paying 200 bucks!

I have been a member since 2004, I have the certificate in a cheap black frame on my office wall, last month I have a client in the office and as he is leaving he makes mention of how impressed he was that I was a member of the SCOTUS bar! I did not tell him how easy it was to obtain.....

When I become a member of the Southern District Fed bar, you had to take a test and be admitted to the trial bar, the certificate looks like it came from Kinkos! I busted my ass for that one. The Fed 11th circuit court of appeals is beautiful, cost me 20 bucks! (FYI -11th now costs $200)

Do it!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come on, dude, do it.

Think of how cool the certificate will look on your wall.

I would be able to impress the heck out of people, including my prosecuting attorney step-son, by telling them that I occasionally go shooting with, or flying with, or beer-drinking with, a SCOTUS-admitted mouthpiece!

Yeah, do it.

We'll even make a special place card for you at the table, for those quarterly hot-dog / burger lunches at the airport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Probably not for a trip to Washington, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Since I'm guessing nobody wants to make the trip to do the group thing, here's a link to the application in a convenient fillable .pdf

https://www.supremecourt.gov/bar/barapplication.pdf

Happy to provide my info for the Sponsor/Movant section on your e-mail request.

-Rob

A=A

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
man, I was in DC for a visit last month. I really should have thought of this. Would have been a cool thing to do.

I'll probably save my admission to the SCOTUS for later on the down the road when I can make the trip to DC again.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the offer, but as someone who's admitted in three states and in front of a bunch of federal courts, I'm starting to limit things using "will this make me happy or make me money" test. It doesn't qualify for either for me.

However, thanks very much to the OP for his very generous offer of assistance.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post