SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woke up Thursday feeling lite headed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woke up Thursday feeling lite headed Login/Join 
posted
Went to bed Wednesday night in great shape. When I woke up my head was swimming, disoriented. My daughter called in the morning to check on my wife and I told her how I felt. She rushed over and took my BP. 77/45 pulse of 36. Off to the VA ER. Got right in and placed in the ICU. Long story short they placed a pace maker in my chest noon Friday and home Saturday. My problem is I cannot raise my left arm higher than my chest or the wires going to my heart will come loose.

Any one have a similar experience and need helpful ideas how to handle this situation?

All I can say is that the treatment I got at the VA was great and I was surprised that the treatment was so great and the people so helpful. Never expected it with all the things I have read in the media. Three cheers for the VA.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Good to hear your VA is squared away. We love our VA here in New England. It's unfortunate that some facilities can't get their shit together. Leads me to believe that bad facilities are a local problem with bad management as opposed to a systemic problem.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No advice other than get well soon. Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet there for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Wow, scary stuff! Glad you're OK.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Is that restriction on your left arm permanent or only until the operation heals?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get well soon sir, I'm glad you caught it before it was too late.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flashguy, the docs said my chest would build up scar tissue around the heart and wires over a time. Cannot raise arm higher then chest now. Arm in a sling when walking, etc. Have to get used to not raising arm up and keep forgetting that and my bride keeps on my ass about forgetting. Don't know if I can fire a rifle again, pistols? Sucks big time!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest easy...my wife had a similar event last Sep and is doing great with no real limitations. The left arm limitation is only temporary. Expect to use the sling for a few weeks. Docs may make adjustments to pacemaker functions in a few months after leads have been secured. You will forget you have it in there. As far as shooting, this is a non-issue. She was practicing with my 45 in Jan with no issues at all. Guessing you had a right bundle branch block. Relax and just be thankful you live in these times when we have a fix for this.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep shooting, try Bullseye. They only use one hand.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you got taken care of pretty fast and that someone checked up on you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked the company tech when he checked the pace maker before the hospital kicked me out how long the battery lasted, buy at Home Depot?, he said the company guaranteed it for 5 years. But at this usage about 7 years. So I said at 81 could he get me the 5 for sure!

Officers lives matter!

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A good, permanent fix. No drugs, no side effects.
I call that a win.

Glad you're ok.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi ArLEOlet,

Dr. Goodheart here.
When your blood pressure is that low, your heart rate should be high, not low. You most likely had what is called "heart block" when there is no electrical connection between the upper part of the heart (the atria) where the normal pacemaker part of your heart is located, and the lower part, the ventricles; the ventricles have their own intrinsic rate in the 30's.

The restriction on movement of your left arm is only temporary, until the leads (wires) going to your heart have tissue grow around them that will fix them in place. I presume you're right-handed? Then the pacemaker will not affect your ability to shoot rifle or shotgun once the healing is over. When I was sending patients for a pacemaker I would always ask whether they were right or left-handed, and if they were shooters which shoulder they used to mount a shotgun or rifle.

Your problem is taken care of, the pacemaker will likely last about 10 years and then you'll need another operation to replace the "box", but the leads will probably not require further work.

You will likely get a home monitoring setup that will send data about your heart and your pacemaker to the pacemaker company, which will send that to your cardiologist. That will cut down on the number of visits you need to make to the cardiologist to have the pacemaker checked.

Congratulations! One big problem taken care of for good!

When I was working at the VA in Salem Virginia, I had a vet of the 101st Airborne; he was 83, and went to Mongolia every year to hunt wolves! One year we had to have him not go so he could get his pacemaker put in (there was a problem with it and he had to have it re-done, which happens occasionally). He was able to go next year. I understand he was inquiring about me after I left, but that was 9 years ago. Hope he's still hunting!

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it was caught in time.
Prayers for healing sent.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a story! Glad you got your pacemaker!

I can only hope if it happens to me I'll be around people who care enough to get me the same treatment!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I had a pacemaker put in 5 1/2 yrs ago and have no limitations at all with how I move my left arm.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Dr. Good heart, thank you for your detailed information. The information I received from the cardiologist was that there was a blockage between the upper and lower chambers and each was doing their own thing. Feel better today and started driving again. Operation was accomplished Friday afternoon so it's been a few days. Again thank to you and all the 'troops' for writing.

Officers lives matter!

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Here's offering up some prayer your way for health and healing. Good to hear that you got the attention you need, pretty scary stuff.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better... stronger... faster.

Wink

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post