SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions on Medical Alert Systems for People
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on Medical Alert Systems for People Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
We think my mother in law is at that point to where she may need one of those medic alert systems. She is in her mid 70’s going on 90 and lives alone with no relatives nearby.

Having no experience with them, my wife has done some research but is confused. Apparently she is looking for one that covers mobile and home and can be carried on the wrist instead of the necklace type.

Is there more out there than the Life Alert or is that really it. Any comments good or bad would be helpful.

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re in the same boat with my 85 year old independent mother. I need the same info that you are looking for and would to be schooled here, as well. Any and all input will be welcomed!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these people that need the device really going to use them? Think my cousin had two. Didn’t activate either one.

Make sure they want it and will use it. Otherwise it wastes time and money.

As his executor I also had to go through the hassle of deactivating and returning the devices. They were not “purchased”, he did not own either one.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
The only advice I can give is to NOT get one that is worn on the wrist. I don't recall who made that recommendation to me , but they were in that industry, they said frequently the elderly would fall and end up trapping an arm under them. If it's the arm the device is worn on they may not be able to manually activate it. They said from their experience the necklace was the best option available.

Some of the ones I was researching had fall sensors, panic buttons for medical and Police/fire, two way voice communications, and other cool stuff.

Sory I couldn't be of more help.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I know the money may not be an issue for you; the potential aggravation may be.

You need to determine your MIL's receptivity to using one. It's based on my personal experience with my mother.

First is the attitude towards the device, then it's getting them to make it a habit of having the device on them, lastly is the training part of getting them to know how to use the device.

I wish you better luck than what I had with my mother.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Mobile Help. You can get a pendant necklace with a wristwatch device as well as a mouse sized fob that you can carry with you, besides the home unit.

https://www.mobilehelp.com/lan...e6L:20180415194158:s

So far their service has saved my mom's life once.

Absolutely the key is that they have to wear the device. Mom had fallen and cut her head open on the brick door facing, and could not get up.

Luckily she had the pendant on at the time.

Plus I thought they had the best pricing when I was comparing.

Highly recommended. They bill quarterly.

I did not buy the fall recognition service just the basic service with the items described.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe older people won't use them, but isn't there an app for a cell phone that does the same thing? I'm thinking a five buck app would be preferable. iPhones have a lot of features, such as the five push emergency activation.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mother-In-Law had a neck pendant type deal. Turns out they don’t do any good when you leave them hung on the bedroom doorknob.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Making sure that that the individual will wear the device is important. Compliance is a real problem when it comes to taking medication at the right times.
Think of how many things that have been given to you that you do not use. It has to become a habit.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Before my parents were willing to move out of their home of 50+ years they both had the pendant type. They were very helpful to them on many occasions with one exception. That being
my Mom had just picked up the mail from the mail box and there was one large heavy envelope.

That large heavy envelope from her insurance carrier tipped over her walker as she was making her way up the one step to the front porch. She fell forwards on top of her pendant. She shouted for my Dad who was sound asleep in the bedroom. A FEW HOURS LATER a neighbor saw her still bleeding on the front porch and called 911.

So bear in mind neither the wrist or the necklace pendants are completely reliable.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Another major factor that needs to be considered is whether the person for whom the device is intended is still capable mentally...

My ex is suffering from dementia, which has destroyed her ability to operate even the simplest items, such as a cell phone, or alarm clock. I have serious doubts that she would be able to obtain assistance when needed.

My heartfelt advice is to not base your decision on something to hopefully help in an emergency based on historic capabilities, as these will be constantly changing and diminishing in many cases!

I am sorry for your situation.

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post