SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hollywood upset about low ratings about the Oscars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollywood upset about low ratings about the Oscars Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Kobe Bryant now has the same number of Oscars as Dicaprio.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimmel flat out admits why they make the stupid shit they do...

Kimmel: We Make Films 'To Upset Mike Pence.' That's True, And It's An Important Admission.
Ben Shapiro
Link
On Sunday evening, ABC late night host Jimmy Kimmel dropped an absolute stinker of a performance — bland, flat, and politically correct. But he did drop one joke that landed: a joke targeting Vice President Mike Pence, but accidentally exposing Hollywood for what it is. Noting that many of the nominated films were seen by virtually no one, Kimmel stated, “That’s not the point. We don’t make films like Call Me By Your Name for money. We make them to upset Mike Pence.” Call Me By Your Name is a gay seduction story between a 24-year-old and a 17-year-old.
When I wrote Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story Of How The Left Took Over Your TVback in 2011, I interviewed dozens of Hollywood insiders — show creators, writers, producers, and executives. Many of them admitted outright that they purposefully stacked their shows with leftist messages; a few even said that they openly discriminated against conservatives in their business. But nearly all of them excused such discrimination by claiming that they were responding to the market — they explained that their leftist content is what Americans wanted to watch, and that their ratings were evidence that they weren’t just propagandists.
That wasn’t true then, and it’s not true now.
Hollywood simply does not make “message” films from the Right. They mock such films. In fact, films that carry any non-leftist message are trashed by the critics, derided as fascistic and simplistic. So Death Wish (both the original and the remake) become “problematic,” but stories of fish sex become tales of heroism and beauty. And Death Wish was intended to be big budget — it was meant to drive ticket sales, which is how it was made in the first place. Nobody thinks The Shape of Water was going to bust the cash register, but it got made because it’s chock full of symbolism about the evils of “repressive” America.
Kimmel told the truth, which is why his joke landed. Hollywood does greenlight films so that its creators can brag to each other at cocktail parties about how much they ticked off Mike Pence. The dirty little secret is that the more they tick off Mike Pence, the fewer Americans overall bother watching the messages they’re so eager to dispense.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's really telling is this bit from the VF article: Perhaps more alarming than the ratings decline is the fact that social chatter surrounding the event dipped this year as well. According to Fizziology, social conversation dropped 28 percent compared to last year—although it’s likely that this discrepancy can be attributed to last year’s best picture flub...

They try to play it off that there wasn't controversy to talk about, but hint at the fact that no one gives a shit unless there's manufactured drama. So just like the StupidBowl people are sick and tired of the left wing political hijacking of TV and sporting events. Let them keep digging their graves I say.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
At least Variety doesn't get it- "But whatever the reason for the Oscars’ ratings decline, it was not lack of interest in Hollywood and the nominated films more broadly."

More broadly? Get Out, was prominently featured in the Oscars. In my opinion it shouldn't have been even nominated for Best Picture or best actor. It was some half baked horror movie and just doesn't belong in the top films of the year but we have to have "inclusion."

Hollyweird, instead of just focusing on making good films and stories with good cinematography, acting, directing, etc, is hell bent on inclusion, diversity and all this other PC crap rather than focusing on making good film. I've watched the Oscars for 30-35 years and it was never this politically charged. MeToo, Time's UP (which I do support), inclusion, diversity, all were big sticking points for them to get their political messages across. This year, particularly it was the women. The Academy knee jerked, which most of the people behind the mic saying "Women AND men" instead of the other way around. Lots of digs that more women weren't doing X, like say directing, or cinematography. It was a classless Oscars and my bet is the ratings suffered because many of us tried to watch but it was so over the top political, we switched it off. It was like millenials crying for free stuff. Hunger Games, Divergent, Red Sparrow, Atomic Blonde, Underworld, Wonder Woman, we are seeing a lot of female lead big budget films. The tide is turning for women without all the crying at the Oscars by them. What Weinstein did and some others is terrible, unforgivable, and is indeed Time Up for all that bs. But the audience watching the Oscars didn't do all that shit. Punish everyone for the sin of a few?

I was at a small get together on Saturday night. Some of these subjects were brought up by a matriarch. I let her know that I'm in full support of Time's Up as I'm tired of women being harassed in any way in our society as I highly respect them. But I was quick to remind her of the double standard that exists and how many women are hypocrites. They need to change also. They need to ask men out, come pick them up, take them on a date, pay for the night, go to work, pay bills, etc. You can't have it both ways or you are a hypocrite. I don't expect you to clean, make sammiches, or anything traditional, but if you want to be treated equal, then honey that means money too. This cherry picking needs to stop.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t watch the shit show. Haven’t been to a movie in, what 10 or 15 years. Besides NCIS was on!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the leftist rhetoric, the movies themselves are horrible. I like what one reviewer had to say (https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/oscars-become-mediocre-awards-show-best-anti-human-propaganda.html):
So, what did win the major awards?
A bestiality movie attacking traditional American values and promoting abuse. A movie about a 24-year-old graduate intern abusively seducing a 17-year-old boy who himself is fornicating with a teenage girl his own age. A movie from Chile about a man, who’s undergone one of those mythical “sex change” operations and who becomes a better woman than any other woman, including the ex-wife of his dead lover. A horror movie about an old white man and his white friends trying to put his brain inside the body of a young black man. A story about a rape and murder that occurred in a small Missouri town where a bunch of small-minded people live. A movie about an Olympic ice skater with a terrible mother and even more terrible friends who decide to break the leg of her closest competitor.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Kobe Bryant now has the same number of Oscars as Dicaprio.

And Gary Oldman. Oh, and Kobe may be a rapist. There's that, too.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I have always loved movies and still do. I think I've been to five so far this year and except for the shit-show starwars fail (a deals a deal, my wife went with me to see Dead Pool, so...) they have been pretty good. the Darkest Hour is fabulous, Hostiles is epic, it's going to stay among my favorite shoot-em-ups.

With that, I'd like to say that you couldn't pay me to watch the oscars for all the reasons listed here except that movies suck. Fact is you could pay me to watch, but the price would be steep and I'd never tell anyone about the shameful conduct I had to engage in to get a new F150 King Ranch.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
In 2014 there were 43.7 million viewers for the Oscars telecast.

Every year from 2014 to this year, TV viewership has been in a descent.

This year—26.5 million, an almost 40% drop in 4 years. Well earned

26.5 million adds up to less than 1% of americans watched, and most of them were probably Liberals on both coasts.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
26.5 million adds up to less than 1% of americans watched, and most of them were probably Liberals on both coasts.

Well.... < 10% anyway.... Wink
Population = 323.1 million (2016)

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Self congratulatory bullshit.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I love movies. and I love watching the Oscars. I have always wanted to go back in time to see Ben Hur win all those awards. My wife and I watched Titanic as newlyweds and then watched the Oscars that year as well. But I told her this year that the Academy Awards was on and she wanted to watch something else.

Somewhere around 2010 it really started to die on us, we didn't watch last year, and didn't watch this year. Hollywood makes movies I love, still. I buy them, I watch them on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and RedBox,etc. But the awards show is a farce now. Maybe it always has been, I don't know.

AS for going to movies, mostly I do not. Not because of the movies but because of people. people talking, on their phones, being assholes. So I have a nice 3D HD 65" and a badass surround system and I just wait for the Bluray. when two tickets, popcorn and drinks is $50-60 I paid back myself for the system in just a few months.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Movies these days don't generally get nominated unless the serve the liberal agenda in some way.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I stopped being interested in the awards when it became apparent to me that only movies I wouldn't bother to see were usually the winners. That point occurred long before the current political situation arose.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I love movies and watch hundreds of them every year, at home. Some of them deserve a big screen and better sound system so I occasinally visit the theaters.
A lot of movies turn out to be a total waste of time and one wonders why are they even been made?

The Oscars hasn't been about movies or their industry in years.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post