SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Paratroopers based in Italy put on restriction after brawl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Paratroopers based in Italy put on restriction after brawl Login/Join 
posted
Not good.
Whether it's mouthy locals or, our Joe's not understanding the concept of being a guest-representatives, gotta stay out of trouble.
American soldiers banned from Italian main street after vicious brawl
quote:
Around 2,000 US Army soldiers have been banned from one of the main streets in the Italian city of Vicenza after a brawl between soldiers and locals.

The temporary ban, which affects members of the 173rd Airborne Brigade stationed in the city, involves the quaint via Contra' Pescherie Vecchie, where two young Vicenza men say they were surrounded and beaten by several soldiers after a verbal exchange just outside a popular watering hole for off duty combat paratroopers.

“This is not my face. I was not like this before,” Riccardo Passaro, 21, told La Repubblica from the hospital where he is recovering from reconstructive facial surgery after his jaw was shattered. City authorities are studying CCTV images to identify the culprits of the latest violent episode, which prompted Mayor Francesco Rucco to request special restrictive measures from the base commander.

Col. Kenneth Burgess issued a memo warning that personnel caught entering the restricted zone during the 45-day ban faced disciplinary sanctions.

“It is a decree without precedent in Vicenza and for this we thank the American authorities," Mayor Rucco said. The US military presence in Vicenza has been expanding for the last decade, with construction of the large Del Din annex north of the historic Ederle garrison to help lodge US Africa Command and the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, which conducts contingency response and NATO ally training in Europe.

Vicenza's 113,000 inhabitants now intermingle, mostly peacefully, with more than 12,000 Americans, including military family members and employees of the two bases bookending the city.

But an uptick in problems related to heavy drinking, violence and public disorder since the expansion has exasperated locals.

In 2014, several rape investigations and a car crash in the city centre involving three pedestrians made headlines. In 2016 and 2017 there were bloody brawls involving injuries and property damage. And in 2018, police intervened 550 times in violent incidents involving Americans, prompting new joint night patrols this year by U.S. military police and Italian Carabinieri.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
During the 9 years I was stationed in Germany, I do not remember a single such incident. But that was way back, starting in 1956-1960, and 1962-1968. Even fights between US military personnel were rare, on base or off base.

Edited to add:

And the COs of those involved should be figuring out the maximum damage control, and how to make sure it does not happen again!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well John Wayne got into a few in his movies. It seemed to be a natural sequence in the film where the marines got into some sort of brawl. I think these altercations happen fairly frequently, but not on such a large scale. These sorts of things happen here with some regularity and certain clubs are off limits to military personnel. I would say the frequency has remained about the same of the years and generally involve women, alcohol and drugs in some fashion.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in W. Germany back in the mid-late 80's, we had several brawls that got ugly. The MP's pretty much stayed busy, I guess. I don't recall any groups of us jumping one or two locals, though. It usually didn't take that many of us. Maybe these were Air Force guys in the story?? Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Fighting in self defense or to defend your buddies is one thing. Minor dustups happen from time to time. But there was a breakdown in discipline here. Some officers and senior NCO's need to have their asses handed to them. The sad thing is the innocent guys will be punished right along with the thugs. Hollywood likes to make light of these brawls but fails to depict the serious injuries and other effects of drunken behavior, like GI's choking on their own puke, being robbed or stabbed, wrecking their cars and motorcycles, etc, not to mention the embarrassment to our country. In 2019 there is no excuse for our troops behaving like drunken assholes no matter where they are.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May or may not have bearing on the situation:
When I was at Aviano, the 173rd used to come up for training. Their deuce and a half's pulled the large utility combat trailer. Which was filled beer and ice.
Quite the drinkers, the 173rd.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
And in 2018, police intervened 550 times in violent incidents involving Americans,

An isolated incident where couple of guys worked over some mouthy Italians is one thing, but the quote above is a problem. If I was a cop (or resident for that matter) in that town, this would piss me off. We're guests there, and our guys should conduct themselves with that in mind. 550 in a year is almost two fights per day, off base, in Italian jurisdiction...that's unacceptable.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
And in 2018, police intervened 550 times in violent incidents involving Americans,

An isolated incident where couple of guys worked over some mouthy Italians is one thing, but the quote above is a problem. If I was a cop (or resident for that matter) in that town, this would piss me off. We're guests there, and our guys should conduct themselves with that in mind. 550 in a year is almost two fights per day, off base, in Italian jurisdiction...that's unacceptable.

It all depends on what they call a "violent incident". I read something the other day that said there where 385 mass shootings from Jan 1 to Dec 1. in 2019.

I don't believe that but if you call any shooting, even gang-related where two or more people are shot as mass shooting your get that number.

All in how they are defining something.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 I did a 5 day TDY to Vicenza from Turkey for a competition. Late one evening as I was leaving a local watering hole I watched a soldier ride up to the bar on a bicycle. He got off the bike next to a large light pole in the street outside the bar. With calm conviction of purpose, he picked up the bike by the back wheel and swung it like a baseball bat over and over against the light pole until it was sufficiently destroyed. Then he just dropped the bike and walked away like nothing interesting had happened.

My takeaway? Them boys weren't right.

AIRBORNE!

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Who do they think they are, Firemen? Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Year after year, American's top tourism destination is Italy. The last 20 years have seen new passport applications, resulting in over 40% of the US population in possession of a passport. American's have gotten better at traveling off the beaten track and exploring areas where the usual outsiders were Germans, Aussies or, Kiwis.

These guys, based in N.Italy, not far from Venice, Padova and Verona, have nothing better to do than get pissed-drunk and get into repeated fights? Roll Eyes

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
During the 9 years I was stationed in Germany, I do not remember a single such incident. But that was way back, starting in 1956-1960, and 1962-1968. Even fights between US military personnel were rare, on base or off base.

Edited to add:

And the COs of those involved should be figuring out the maximum damage control, and how to make sure it does not happen again!

I was an MP in Kaiserslautern, worked downtown every weekend pretty much going from club to club and waiting for the bouncers to toss out Americans fighting.
I think it’s a combination of being drunk and stupid and Germans knowing it doesn’t take much to start something they can’t finish, but the Germans sure as hell aren’t innocent. The Turks were more of the problem.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was at Aviano, the 173rd used to come up for training. Their deuce and a half's pulled the large utility combat trailer. Which was filled beer and ice.

That's a failure of leadership right there. I've seen my share of alcoholic units, but alcohol in any part of a tactical vehicle was a major no-no.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Year after year, American's top tourism destination is Italy. The last 20 years have seen new passport applications, resulting in over 40% of the US population in possession of a passport. American's have gotten better at traveling off the beaten track and exploring areas where the usual outsiders were Germans, Aussies or, Kiwis.

These guys, based in N.Italy, not far from Venice, Padova and Verona, have nothing better to do than get pissed-drunk and get into repeated fights? Roll Eyes

Mine may be a simplistic view, but if I were the commanding officer of that unit, there would be some serious discipline administered, starting with the COs of the knotheads involved such shenanigans.

As in bad efficiency reports. That conduct by troops says to me that discipline is lacking! Bust a few of them down a grade or two and it will most likely slow it substantially. Or just restrict the whole outfit to base for a while.

On my first tour in Germany we had a few assholes who decided to cause some havoc in the small town where we were stationed. MPs arrived, arrested a few of them and turned them over to their COs.

AIR, there were 3 companies involved. All 3 companies were restricted to base for 2 weeks for other than official duty. The troops in those companies handled it from there.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

That's a failure of leadership right there. I've seen my share of alcoholic units, but alcohol in any part of a tactical vehicle was a major no-no.

And that tells me that there was/is a severe failure in the command structure.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Sounds like down range at Camp Casey, that's where I learned (through observation) not to piss off female MPs

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been many years since I was at Aviano and saw the 173rd. My interaction with them at the time left me with the impression that a TDY or training exercise at an AF base was a vacation of sorts.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Airborne

That's all you gotta know about these guys who think they are God's gift to the world. Roll Eyes

I'm in a FB group called US Army WTF Memes and they love to poke fun at them, like this one:

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, during my deployment to the oil spill, aka “Operation Enduring Per Diem” the Admiral put the entire city of New Orleans OFF LIMITS to any personnel without written orders after the third DWI was earned in the city.

It continued until the end of the spill response....

There are things a CO can do that will get the attention of the men.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Airborne

That's all you gotta know about these guys who think they are God's gift to the world. Roll Eyes

you mean they're not ?? Big Grin

lol to be fair -- we should start a list of similar 'useless' military capabilities:

when was the last time we :

used a Marine division to establish a beach head

dropped a nuke on an enemy

engaged in jet dog fights with peer enemies

etc

it's all about 'what if' capability and Airborne forces - just like Marine forces - give you a heck of a capability

all that aside -- I agree the 173rd needs to tighten that crap up

------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post