SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sweet score at Goodwill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet score at Goodwill Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Wow. What a great find. Can't beat a Griswold.

Just don't go on vacation with one!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i just have lodge. It gets a bad wrap by some. Mine is working great. USA made. I rarely do anything to it other than scrape a bit and wipe it out with a paper towel with a bit of oil while warm. <snip>

I think you’re right about the Lodge getting a bad rap. In this video a guy peels the sticker off of a new Lodge skillet, then immediately fries an egg in it, and it doesn’t stick. At least not so much that he can’t gently and cleanly peel it up with a spatula.

https://youtu.be/Uy5UF__XcIQ

The Lodge is a bit heavy though – its sides are too thick IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
This one is even more impressive: frying an egg over easy on a dry Lodge skillet. The guy was very pessimistic about the outcome of this experiment, but the result was excellent.

https://youtu.be/DbJry2Q3KBA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Looked at my mother's cast iron tonight. Griswold no. 8 skillet, Griswold no. 919 waffle iron, Griswold no. 273 corn muffin mold, a small skillet that seems to be pre-Griswold, and an unmarked corn muffin mold. This has been a handy thread, and congrats to the GH on the score.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Found another crazy Goodwill deal- a very nice, rare Wagner 12” pan; this one looks like it’s ready to cook after a light cleaning. The seasoning seems tight. $12!

The amazing thing is judging from what I could glean online, this pan was made between 1895 and 1920. The newest it could be is just a few months shy of a century, but could be as old as 124 years old. One of my neatest thrift store finds to date.

large gif hosting

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Found another crazy Goodwill deal- a very nice, rare Wagner 12” pan; this one looks like it’s ready to cook after a light cleaning. The seasoning seems tight. $12!

The amazing thing is judging from what I could glean online, this pan was made between 1895 and 1920. The newest it could be is just a few months shy of a century, but could be as old as 124 years old. One of my neatest thrift store finds to date.

large gif hosting

Nice ! I’ll be over for bacon and eggs in the morning...

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

large gif hosting

Nice ! I’ll be over for bacon and eggs in the morning...

Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man, another great deal. Congrats!

I routinely checked out the local second hand shops, antique stores and Goodwill this summer and the prices they were asking for cast iron pans were absurd. The consignment antique store I like is easily the worst in that regard, everyone thinks their stuff is worth $50 to start with the tiny pans, ranging up to $200 for some of the bigger pieces. Yeah, you can keep it for those kinda bucks.

I don't know who sets the prices for the local Goodwill, but they must have gotten the word on the resurgence of cast iron for cookwear. I've seen pans there that were warped that they wanted $30 for. Not exactly a stellar deal, especially when I picked up a virtually unused Noritake serving platter with the wedding china pattern my wife and I picked out for $10, that was unused and we didn't get originally because it was well over $100 new. They also had a ten count of matching coffee cups and saucers for $12 that I passed on because we aren't coffee drinkers and never host anything where we'd serve it.

I guess it's like anything else, you gotta keep checking regularly for the good deals because they don't hang around that long. When I was going to the antique store every other day, I was finding awesome deals on vintage razors. Pared it back to every few weeks and I haven't seen anything in a few months.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post