SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sweet score at Goodwill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet score at Goodwill Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I stop by the local Goodwill every week or three to look for goodies. I saw a well used frying pan that was covered in buildup; when set on the floor, it showed no signs of warping. I also noticed some familiar markings trying to claw through the thick black coating. The price was $6

upload images for free

I took it home and put it through the oven cleaning process. After 5 seasoning cycles, this is the final result.

No cracks, only some slight dings and lines from use. The interior is slick and glassy feeling and ready to cook. Near as I can tell from perusing various sites, this pan was produced some time between 1939 and 1957.

Lately, it seems Goodwill has been researching things better. I saw a really warped Griswold with a $30 price on it not long ago. I’m glad this one was illegible. I’m feeling extremely fortunate at the moment...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That’s an excellent find - congrats!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice find and good job on the refurb

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Great Score!

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Right place, right time.

Nice find and restoration.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
KARMA...it found YOU (and YOU rescued it from a fate worse than death)...well done!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, $6! What a deal.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I know this is not the place but as I am from Erie I would gladly pay you for this.....

if interested my email is in my profile

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Nice score, I have been on the search for a Griswold or Wagner to save for years now.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
“I took it home and put it through the oven cleaning process. After 5 seasoning cycles, this is the final result.”

You put it in the oven and set the oven to “Self Clean” mode?
Is that correct.
Is there a book for Dummies which describes this process you used?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
“I took it home and put it through the oven cleaning process. After 5 seasoning cycles, this is the final result.”

You put it in the oven and set the oven to “Self Clean” mode?
Is that correct.
Is there a book for Dummies which describes this process you used?

Here's a great demonstration...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Nice, good pick

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Nice find !

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Excellent find! My wife, TSM11, a good friend of ours and I went to the Lakeland gun show last weekend. We saw several Griswold frying pans around that size going for upwards of $300.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nice!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice score you just never know what you will find at Goodwill.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have one identical to that size and era!

It was my grandmother’s and was passed on to her so it may be even older.

Why are the old ones so nice and smooth while the new pans are rough?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I have one identical to that size and era!

It was my grandmother’s and was passed on to her so it may be even older.

Why are the old ones so nice and smooth while the new pans are rough?

I haven’t seen smooth pans since Wagner and I’ve no idea why not. It would just take a minute long (or less) smoothing step. It truly makes all the difference in the world.

I put the Griswold to the test and cooked my deer meat burrito mix. It did great and cleaned up with warm water and a paper towel. I’m tempted to follow the above vid to the letter. That black gloss look is so much better looking.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding find.

My wife loves Goodwill. She goes to the Goodwill in the ritzy part of the NWA Metroplex, where she routinely finds pairs of $100+ designer women's jeans for around $6-$7 apiece.

Her last trip, she came home with 8 pairs of name-brand women's jeans, about ~$800 at retail, for under $50. (Women's jeans retail pricing is a racket anyway, but that's a whole 'nother thread.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll give you $10 for it. Cash money. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post