SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kinesiology Tape Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kinesiology Tape Update Login/Join 
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted
A while back I posted asking about Kinesiology Tape and if anyone had any success with it. I figured I would post a quick update about it since I've started using it and the results I've had with it. I was pretty skeptical about using it and put off trying it.

A little background; after having a horse flip over on top of me several years ago I began having chronic back issues later diagnosed as Spinal Stenosis. At it's best I have chronic mild lower back pain, at it's worst I deal with sciatic nerve pain, multiple other pinched nerves, numbness, tingling, a shooting heat feeling which makes parts of my body feel like they are on fire, and random sharp pains. The pain is not isolated to just my back, my legs receive the worst of it, but it also at times goes up to my shoulder and neck as well. I've tried to help relieve the pain with PT, stretching, working out to build core strength, icing, heating pads, etc. Some would offer temporary relief but it seemed the more horses I rode during the day, the quicker it would come back. The doctor keeps offering to do steroid injections into my spine, but honestly that just freaks me out, so I'm avoiding it like the plague.

So several weeks ago after riding in a clinic, I found the next day I could barely move, let alone ride. I decided to give it a try and finally bought some. Bamajeepster taped me that night. I didn't feel anything that night or the next morning and figured it wasn't going to work. I was lifting and moving jumps all day and was still hurting pretty bad. Figured I had wasted my money. And then I rode. NO PAIN. None. Over the next few days, ALL the pain slowly went away. The tape stays on for several days and I immediately replace it when it starts to come loose. I have been completely PAIN FREE for the last few weeks. It even passed the horse show test, which usually about cripples me by the end of the weekend, but I had no problems.

I don't know how, or why this stuff works, but it does. I went from questioning whether I could even continue riding professionally or not, to feeling the best I have in years while riding (resulting in way better rides too), and in my day to day activities. This stuff is literally changing my life.

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Have to admit, I figured it was new-age hooey, but it does seem to be working...Who'da thunk it?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it works exactly, but taping was invaluable when I was getting over a really bad case of plantar fasciitis many years ago.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
You know how when you stub your toe the first thing most people will do is grab it and squeeze it with their hand? This is the principle that the tape works on.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1272 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have been working with an awesome PT on some shoulder issues. When she taped it, it was magic - it supported and stabilized the shoulder making it feel MUCH better. The only problem was it felt too much better and I overdid it thinking I was cured. I'm certainly a believer!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I've used it on my calves and shins when running. It definitely works for me. I don't know why, but it does.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
it say on the package why it works compression, increased blood flow, and mild heat. Like the stub your toe deal. it works quite while. Used it when I sprained my ankle and it acted like a brace that was less invasive.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post