SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    photographers/camera gurus..come on in
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

photographers/camera gurus..come on in Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
LOL, so we read this and were like..NO WEDDINGS lol..I offered to send her to a local comm college photo class, she has a KNACK but no knowledge or skill..we need to sharpen those..

will her Fuji XA 1 work to start with ?? as far as teaching her the mechanics of how to use a camera or is it to outdated??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Most of the posts answered the "what". Some of them addressed the "how". I'd like to stress that.

It's a pretty steep learning curve from an iPhone camera to a "real" camera. There's much more than having an "eye" for it. You really need to understand your gear. To the point of being able to work it without looking at it. Know when to use a large vs. small aperture. Fast vs. slow shutter speeds. High vs. low ISOs. Different focusing modes. Different metering modes. And once you know these, then know how to adjust and work, without looking.

Then there's post-processing. Lightroom definitely, if for no other reason than it's database functions, although most people don't use that part of it enough. Lightroom for editing. Then the plug-ins, like DxO, Portrait Plus. And Photoshop. This requires not just the software, but a computer with enough horsepower to run it.

Don't forget about backups. We've discussed that here a lot. Primary, secondary, tertiary. Rotation. Off-site and/ or cloud.

To do it well is a significant investment of money and time.

And as JHE said,

quote:
And, forgive me, but if she is going to go into professional photography, she should know pretty exactly what she wants and needs. If she doesn't know, she isn't ready to start this business and needs to learn more.

I'm not trying to discourage her, but I'd like to set some realistic expectations. It can be very rewarding, but it will take a lot of work.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
Will her Fuji XA 1 work to start with ?? as far as teaching her the mechanics of how to use a camera or is it to outdated??

It will help her learn the fundamentals. Aperture, shutter, ISO, focusing, metering. Mastering these, or at least having a very good understanding, are essential.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
To chime in again, others have said it, but here it goes again...experience Experience EXPERIENCE!!! Some of the biggies coming out of that are timing, composition, lighting, muscle memory knowledge of camera/lens controls, intimate knowledge of the three kings - shutter speed, focal ratio and white balance, and then you need to know the capabilities, strengths and weaknesses of different lenses.

After the technical side, then you have to deal with the people and weather side of it. This includes the business side, which can be difficult because many people don't want to pay or pay in full as per the contract - some citing that they just weren't happy the product. Many see photographers' work as not actual work so they can rationalize non-payment of services.

Let's see someone taking 1,000 to 1,500 images at a single wedding and then having to go through each one, classifying and processing each one AND not calling that work!

Good wedding photographers have a lot on their plate, and getting 'THE' shot becomes easier with experience. Also, good photogs need to be able to inspire, direct and have a detailed eye. Again, that directing charisma to be able to compose and heard cats is a HUGE plus!

I've mentioned that after the images and videos are taken, then they have to be classified and processed. Processing digital images is an entire art in itself to master. Photographers need a good working knowledge of Lightroom and Photoshop. After experience, a personal workflow emerges for efficiency. Personally, I don't use Adobe products so I use high end camera company Phase One's image editing software - Capture One.

And as I had mentioned above, then comes the business side. This is where a lot of photogs aren't able to keep up. There is just way too much to elaborate on this topic.

So in a nutshell, get experience with the equipment, get experience imaging and taking video, be good at dealing with people and the business side is a big challenge to many.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will she have wranglers?

Will she have a printed schedule ?

Is there a minimum and maximum persons edict?

I've only seen three weddings being shot,
What a logistics nightmare.

Even with a Wrangler or two,
Getting people where they are supposed to be ,seems like it should be simple.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mirrorless is the present. And the future.

Sony is a great camera.

I would never want to shoot a wedding. I do enjoy shooting architecture, landscape, and animals.

You may want to join a "meetup group" for photography in your city. These folks are the best local free sources of info, critiques, and places to shoot. Don't start a business without spending time with the real enthusiasts. You'll see what it takes to do great photos, and sell them.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Weddings have four venues (average). Where the bride is getting ready, where the groom is getting ready, the funeral wedding, and the reception.

At three places the photographer has to deal with the bride and her mother. At two places the photographer deals with people getting drunk, at one place dealing with drunks, and at all the places dealing with "I know how to take photos and will school you on it."

Tell your wife to pic her gigs wisely. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Fuji ecosystem is superb. I my opinion, there is no finer APS-C camera than a flagship Fuji XT series camera.

Fuji does not make a full-frame mirrorless. Instead, the next step up is Fuji's Medium Format cameras.

Your wife's X-A1 is fine to learn on. An older XT-2 will give her access to alot of "big kids" features that are available on "pro" cameras--physical dials and wheels to control ISO, Exposure Compensation, Shutter Speed, Aperture.

Find a well loved (used) Fujinon 35mm 1.4R and 23mm 1.4R, and start from there. A fast prime like the two mentioned will give her access to depth of field as a creative tool.

If she wants to continue doing portraits, the 90mm F2 would be next and so on. By then, she'll likely have a wishlist several thousand dollars deep for lenses that suit her skill and taste.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
I offered to send her to a local comm college photo class, she has a KNACK but no knowledge or skill..we need to sharpen those..

I guess I did not really consider this when I read your original post.

She needs to know the difference between a f2.8 aperture and f16 aperture and what that will do to her depth of field and her shutter speed.

She needs to know that with a 80-200 lens, and shooting at 150mm, what shutter speed can she set and handhold the camera? And if the lens is VR, then what can she handhold?

Etc, etc.

Think of it this way, she might be good with a rifle and have a steady finger and breathing. But if the rifle is zeroed at 100 meters, and you tell her to take a 300 meter shot, how much is she going to miss by? It's the same with all of the camera knowledge.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I have made my living with a camera since 1989 (with the exception of two years in the middle). I won't go into which gear, as that's been covered.

There is a wide, wide gulf between "like to take pictures" and "professional wedding photographer". Most of that difference is -yes- in terms of experience.

A lot of it is specifically in the knowledge and confidence that NO MATTER WHAT, you can make a good photograph in the given conditions. No light, low light, harsh daylight, mixed lighting sources, or a combination of all those conditions.

When you're paid to get the shot, you must be able to get the shot. Now. With weddings specifically, there are no do-overs. Working under that kind of pressure isn't for everybody.

My best advice for her would be to work as an assistant for an established wedding photographer and learn, learn, learn. Then learn some more. Take classes and learn how to make photographs completely in MANUAL mode (M) only and without the crutch of a LCD screen to immediately see what the photo looks like. You have to fully understand what your individual camera settings will lead to, blind.

Exposure, light qualities, light quantities, color temperature.

That depth of knowledge leads to the confidence to produce images that people will pay good money for.

Leaving it up to the camera can and will result in bad photos eventually.
You can count on it. Today's cameras are very good, but they can always be fooled quite easily.

Invest in some classes and some experience, first. It will pay great dividends in the long run.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Also, there are better education choices than what's available at a community college. You can find classes taught online (masterclass, etc) by truly talented photographers.

Also, she needs to learn Lightroom (and then Photoshop). Buy a subscription, watch some YouTube videos to get started, and then maybe buy a class.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Golddot,
Don't skimp on the lens quality. Don't be afraid to buy used from KEH, B&H Photo, or Adorama.

Look at the Pentax K1 or K1 mark 2 as they are full frame bodies, and will take any lens Pentax has ever made, even the screw mount lenses (using an adapter).

I shoot with the Pentax K1.

Yes even for portraits she will need two bodies as if one fails on a shoot you can set it down and grab the other body.

Weddings are not the place to start (trust me).

I do photography as a side business.

My gallery website is in my signature line.

Your wife will need a website to show her work, a good website will cost money (up to a couple hundred dollars a year). Have an attorney draw up contracts for your clients (a good contract that allows you to fill in names, dates, deposits, etc...).

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Being a pro is tough these days. With today's cameras anyone with a pulse can take decent pictures, photographs, not so much. It's everything other than taking the pictures, like business and marketing skills, that are more important. I suggest your wife peruse the "Pro Digital Talk" forum on dpreview.com.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1014

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What everyone said (I have shot weddings, and knowing what I know now, was really lucky).

I think jhe888 had the best advice: If has to ask what kind of equipment she needs, she isn't ready to take on a professional job, especially one with as much at stake as a wedding.

I'd suggest spending some time on the Fred Miranda photography forums ( https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/) and get a feel for what kind of issues pros and serious amateurs are talking about.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't skimp on the lens quality. Don't be afraid to buy used from KEH

This. Lenses will outlast camera bodies all day long. I have several great used lenses from KEH. Their grading scale is spot on and normally the lenses are better then you expect.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice so far.

I'm a Nikon shooter, lots of great lenses etc. I've been doing it for years.

I cringe when someone says they are going to move from I-phone to a real camera and do weddings and such.

Your wife has a lot to learn about photography, beyond having an "eye" for it. Get her a used APSC camera (Nikon D7xxx series is excellent to learn on). Once she has a camera she needs to learn how to shoot in manual mode to really learn the exposure triangle.

At this point she can maybe do shoots for friends, but as others have said, weddings are for people with the knowledge/skill/equipment/insurance and thick enough skin to take on Bridezilla.

As for making it a thriving business, there are plenty of "photographers" out there that will offer products on the cheap. If she truly wants to make a business of it, she has to develop her own style and niche and then develop a client base. No easy task.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a professional photojournalist from 1976 to 2016. Retired now and shooting what I want. Gear is great and photo knowledge is essential, but to run a photo business, it helps to have the skills of an MBA, especially today. It's said that a pro photographer spends 10-20% of his time behind the camera and 80% in sales and marketing.

I used to know a guy who lived in Northern Arkansas who owned a studio and did work for the National Geographic. I mentioned to my boss at the time that Garry made a lot of money. My boss responded, "Well Garry's a good photographer, but he's a great marketer and salesman. He can sell iceboxes to Eskimos.

Your wife should look at a couple of organizations for beginning help. First would be WPPI, Wedding and Portrait Photographers International, and PPA, Professional Photographers of America. They both offer online tutorials and annual (maybe not during Covid times) meetings. They both provide photo technique help and business help.

Also, both Canon and Nikon offer live streaming of their professional photographers during the Photo Plus and CES shows.

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, so we read this and were like..NO WEDDINGS lol..I offered to send her to a local comm college photo class, she has a KNACK but no knowledge or skill..we need to sharpen those..

will her Fuji XA 1 work to start with ?? as far as teaching her the mechanics of how to use a camera or is it to outdated??

First get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This is an excellent foundation on the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, ISO and their interactions & influences on iamges.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I started weddings in 1976 as the "holder" for a pro. I did the darkroom stuff at the studio, so as the holder that was really what I did. I learned a lot however.
1. Learning with film, I made the shots count. Today with digital it's "spray and pray".
2. That was a time when 2 1/4 Hassy was king. 35mm was not for weddings or Sr portraits. People were willing to pay for a pro because of the 2 1/4 cameras.
3. Once every uncle Joe with a 35mm started making "snapshot weddings" it started going downhill.
4. A bride thinks nothing of spending $15K on a dress, $75K on a venue, cake & flowers. Photos? They want to spend as little as possible, because after all they can scan the proofs or now, get digital copies at Walmart.
5. iPhones are cute and every single person at the wedding will be snapping iPhotos.

Nope, Now I am too old for that kind of headache. For the hours you put in you will make more money slinging' burgers. Now, if you really love the pressure, cranky brides, drunk bridesmaids, pissy parents and survive food poisoning (really I had food poisoning once), then go for it!

Have fun!

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discussed this thread with my son, who is into photography. He recommended the site, www.borrowlenses.com , where apparently you can rent and try out equipment before commiting to buy.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post