SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cord Cutters thread of information
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cord Cutters thread of information Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Whats everyone using for an OTA antenna? I'd like to keep it small I'm in the city so distance isn't an issue for me? I'd love to get one small enough and have a magnetic base so I could mount it behind my TV on its wall mount.

Hint?

If you previously had satellite TV or cable, you might be able to use existing coax to connect an antenna in the attic. That's what I did. I found a small, no frills, $40 antenna at Home Depot that was well rated and approved for my distance from TV towers, and used the coax cable that DishTV had run in years past to make the connection. It was just a matter of unscrewing the coax in the attic from a splitter and screwing it to the new antenna. I zip-tied the antenna to a 2X4, and was done. Works perfectly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you have cut the cord and gone with a streaming box is there a way that you can record a show or sporting event? This is all new to me so will have a few questions before I make the jump. Thanks

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
After you have cut the cord and gone with a streaming box is there a way that you can record a show or sporting event? This is all new to me so will have a few questions before I make the jump. Thanks

There are different ways to record, so... yes. I use a TiVo bolt.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:

I have been researching, and this is what I've learned so far:

It depends on what you what you want to record, the streaming service you have, and even the streaming device you use (examples: Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV)

Check to see if your streaming service, (examples: PSVue, SlingTV, DirectTV Now) offers a "cloud DVR," and if their cloud DVR will work with your device. Cloud DVR is a service in its early stages of customer use - it's not well developed yet. You may not be able to use it with your device, or for some shows, like sporting events, and you may have to pay a little extra for it.

Some services offer some shows "on demand," at least for a limited time, so instead of recording them, you can just browse to them when you are ready to watch.

If you have an OTA antenna, you have the option of setting up a DVR (examples: Tivo, HD HomeRun) to record broadcast stuff from local channels.

Ideally streaming services will offer the ability to record any show on any channel, on any of the most popular devices, but we're not there yet from what I can tell, so you have to work around or live with the limitations, for now.

quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
There are different ways to record, so... yes. I use a TiVo bolt.

Dry-fly, does the Tivo record streamed stuff from services like PSVue and Sling?

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ To be honest, I dont know if my Bolt will record everything that goes through it or just the OTA feed. I need to test this, I suspect it wont “see” PlayStation Vue type programming...I’ll try and post back.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
BTW guys, the TiVo Bolt is a pretty sweet unit. It gives you recording capability (which I’m still learning) as well as direct access to HULU, Netflix, etc.

"Access to," but you still have to pay for those services, no? Near as I've been able to tell: All the $15/mo. recurring fee gives you is a channel guide and a maintenance contract?

Can you record streamed content? (My guess is you cannot.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys seem to be confused about recording streamed shows. The recording happens on the sourced end at Netflix, Hulu, whatever.

You watch half a streamed show, leave it for a week or more and next time you call it up it comes on where you left off. Or you can return to the beginning. That's what streaming is all about. You don't need to record streamed content.

I use a TIVO Bolt for OTA recording. It's worth the monthly fee for the menus. It keeps Momma happy.

My antenna is a Channel Master Smartenna -
https://www.channelmaster.com/...enna_p/cm-3000hd.htm

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
Some of you guys seem to be confused about recording streamed shows. The recording happens on the sourced end at Netflix, Hulu, whatever.

You watch half a streamed show, leave it for a week or more and next time you call it up it comes on where you left off. Or you can return to the beginning. That's what streaming is all about. You don't need to record streamed content.

I use a TIVO Bolt for OTA recording. It's worth the monthly fee for the menus. It keeps Momma happy.

My antenna is a Channel Master Smartenna -
https://www.channelmaster.com/...enna_p/cm-3000hd.htm

No confusion on my part, I don't think. I use the term "stream" to also describe services like PSVue, SlingTV, and DirectTV Now. You can't just watch any show you want any time on all of those services. Hence the need for a DVR or DVR-like service, a.k.a. "cloud DVR."

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a Tivo Bolt and love it. You can prepay the $12/month charge, or buy a Bolt with the service prepaid. You can run an OTA through it and record anything that comes through the OTA; I'm pretty sure you can't record streaming programs, but what would be the point?

I still have cable, Spectrum now, and it's only a little over a hundred a month for TV, fast internet, and phone. If they raise the price much I'll drop cable.
We watch Fox News, C-Span, and PBS. I wouldn't pay $40-50 a month just for FNC.

I like Tivo for its TV guide and built-in access to streaming Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't just watch any show you want any time on all of those services. Hence the need for a DVR or DVR-like service, a.k.a. "cloud DVR."

Ah, I see. I guess one needs to choose their 'services' wisely to coincide with their own viewing habits. Still, I'm happy I dumped cable.

We occasionally pay extra for something special we want to see but after that we're back to OTA, Netflix, Amazon and whatever else is part of the TIVO software.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ PSVue, DirectTV Now, SlingTV, etc., give you access to "cable channels" such as AMC, Nat Geo, A&E, FX, BBC USA, Fox News, etc. via internet stream. Their DVR-like services are in the early stages, for the most part. In time you'll be able to pause/rewind/ff live TV and record most anything on demand, but we're not to that point yet. That's the gap some of us are trying to find a fill for.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ PSVue, DirectTV Now, SlingTV, etc., give you access to "cable channels" such as AMC, Nat Geo, A&E, FX, BBC USA, Fox News, etc. via internet stream. Their DVR-like services are in the early stages, for the most part. In time you'll be able to pause/rewind/ff live TV and record most anything on demand, but we're not to that point yet. That's the gap some of us are trying to find a fill for.
Yep. DirectTV Now is currently in Beta with their Cloud DVR, which they claim will be out this fall. I found this video of an early review of the Cloud DVR service that offers some insight into what the product should look and feel like. Looks pretty cool, and since its being released specifically for Fire TV (my streaming choice), its looking like it might be my personal solution.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
For the "cable channel" streaming services such as PSVue, DirectTV Now, Sling, do they provide the most recent episodes at their normal viewing times? Or are the episodes a day or two old?

For example, my mom will be coming to help with child care a couple days a week. She has requested we get cable so she can "watch her shows" such as the Today show on NBC. I already have an Amazon Fire TV box, so if I add PSVue or DirectTV Now can she continue watching the most recent episodes just like it was her normal cable feed at home?

We cut the cable probably 8 years ago and have been plenty happy with just Amazon Prime and Netflix so I'm not real familiar with how these other services work.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
For the "cable channel" streaming services such as PSVue, DirectTV Now, Sling, do they provide the most recent episodes at their normal viewing times? Or are the episodes a day or two old?

These services are essentially just another form of live TV. It's like having cable or satellite, but you can get fewer channels, at a lower price, with no contract. It's not as well developed and polished as cable or sat TV, yet, but for many of us, it's good enough.

Cable/sat TV providers could eliminate the need for such services by simply offering smaller, cheaper packages that include popular channels, but they've made the choice keep milking what customers they can with bloated, expensive packages. This is a guess on my part, but it could be that current agreements they have with channel owners also impact what channels/packages they can offer over the traditional modes, i.e., cable/sat broadcast, as opposed to "streaming."

SlingTV is owned by Dish, and Direct TV Now by, obviously, Direct TV. They're just trying to win back or keep cord cutters as customers.

As far as your mother being able to watch her shows, you'll need to know exactly what channels, and if she's going to require a DVR or DVR-like service, or if she's OK with watching live and without the ability to pause/rewind/ff. It might also be possible through her existing cable/sat subscription for her to watch stuff at your house via a streaming app/web browser, I think.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

These services are essentially just another form of live TV. It's like having cable or satellite, but you can get fewer channels, at a lower price, with no contract. It's not as well developed and polished as cable or sat TV, yet, but for many of us, it's good enough.

Cable/sat TV providers could eliminate the need for such services by simply offering smaller, cheaper packages that include popular channels, but they've made the choice keep milking what customers they can with bloated, expensive packages. This is a guess on my part, but it could be that current agreements they have with channel owners also impact what channels/packages they can offer over the traditional modes, i.e., cable/sat broadcast, as opposed to "streaming."

SlingTV is owned by Dish, and Direct TV Now by, obviously, Direct TV. They're just trying to win back or keep cord cutters as customers.

As far as your mother being able to watch her shows, you'll need to know exactly what channels, and if she's going to require a DVR or DVR-like service, or if she's OK with watching live and without the ability to pause/rewind/ff. It might also be possible through her existing cable/sat subscription for her to watch stuff at your house via a streaming app/web browser, I think.

I have had PSVUE for a year now. I get ALL of the channels I did with Comcast, and I mean all of them for $55 a month which is half the price of Comcast. Or you can get a smaller plan for even less. I have the plan that has every channel except for HBO and Showtime.

The Roku is not the best interface to use with PSVUE as you don't get the TV guide function, you do get it with an apple tv, amazon fire, or playstation 4.

I can pause or rewind a live show, but it's kind of funky and can only rewind a little bit.

With a DVR show you can rewind, pause, fast forward most all of them (some channels don't let you fast forward through commercials even on Comcast or regular cable).

With PSVUE DVR, you can favorite your favorite shows and automatically watch the last 3-4 episodes of that show, at anytime, some of them even more.

Once in a while it will pause for a few seconds and buffer on a live show, but it's rather rare. I cannot comment on the others but I've been very happy with PSVUE. Also the $30 or 40 or $55 price on the website for each plan IS THE PRICE. You don't get a million other charges like your cell phone or cable bill.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that answered my questions.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that 20 channels or 250, one basic truth (at least for me) is there is usually nothing to watch! Smile

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
This may be here nor there, you may be driven CRAZY by watching the same commercials over and over again while watching shows. I guess it is the price you pay for cutting TV/internet cost in half.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
This may be here nor there, you may be driven CRAZY by watching the same commercials over and over again while watching shows. I guess it is the price you pay for cutting TV/internet cost in half.

Yep. Some services have some channels that allow you to skip commercials, but it's really hit or miss, at best.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to start another thread while this one has so much information as it has posters. I've finally had my fill with AT&T and especially my recent price negotiations. As so often, they say one thing (after handing off to several reps') and do another. My actual bill was even higher than what was negotiated by almost $70. This is business as usual with them, and I've been doing these negotiations and re-negotiations for many years now.

I've finally decided to cut the chord. After reading thru this thread a couple of times and reviewing Youtube topics for several days, I've pretty much settled on ROKU and HULU to get me within my normal interests and a plan that allows me similar flexibility as I had before with U-Verse.

My question that remains is, for those who have been cutter's for a few years now, have you noticed any pricing increases like AT&T historically does when their current price negotiations term expires? With keeping my current internet AT&T which I'm good with, speed and modem have just recently been upgraded, with adding the ROKU/HULU puts me price wise just where I need to be. I have read that there are no hidden monthly fee's and costs, but I just want to confirm that high price creeps like AT&T won't occur.

Of course, it's only natural that over the years the price packages will change and get a little more expensive, and I see that without contracts I'll have that flexibility to alter packages or swap streaming services if needed. But I just don't want to go back to the AT&T pricing mentality, and certainly have had my full of calling and speaking to their rep's and that merry-go-round. Thanks.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post