SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cord Cutters thread of information
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cord Cutters thread of information Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys see this: http://bgr.com/2017/10/07/home...contract-price-2017/

Has me worried. They know what's going on and will ensure they'll profit from it.

But they've brought it upon themselves by charging high prices for channel packages filled with junk stations. I'd still prefer to pick channels a la carte!

Posts: 62 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Does anybody with a Roku use TitanTV for program listings? What I'd like to know is there a channel (official or unofficial) to view the guide on the TV rather than going back-and-forth between to the computer.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmpl:

Has me worried. They know what's going on and will ensure they'll profit from it.

But they've brought it upon themselves by charging high prices for channel packages filled with junk stations. I'd still prefer to pick channels a la carte!

I think this will definitely happen. Not enough competition to provide internet services. For most of us we only have one choice for high speed internet.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Digital antenna in attic, to a Tablo OTA on the second floor. WiFi to two Roku sticks (upstairs and downstairs TVs.) Excluding the home-shopping and soul-saving channels, we're getting a few dozen OTA channels.

We kept Comcast Internet ($88/mo, averages 90-100mbps down) for the wife's work, but run Netflix also. Throw in a Matricom Android box and we can watch, record, or stream basically anything. If we watched it before "cutting," we still do... and picked up a number of new regulars.

We bid farewell to Comcast (except for the internet) in August 2016. The cost savings paid for all the new equipment by January 2017. I actually don't have much heartache over the internet charges, once the BS fees and charges accompanying the TV service went away.

Total outlay was just under $500.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been reading about this cord cutting but I just dont get it. Are you doing this just to save money? Are you still getting the major networks?

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dumped Comcast for cable in August and kept the internet.

I now use Sling with Apple TV.

I noticed some performance issues when streaming - only to discover the Comcast was buffering my speed by 40%. When I called them they denied it even after I sent them 7 speed reports all taken at different times of the day.

Unfortunately I am stuck as they are the only internet provider in the area. (true definition of a monopoly)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
Are you doing this just to save money?

Money savings was my primary objective because I was spending $110/month on cable and watched MAYBE 4 channels. When it's hockey season, I'm on hockey pretty much all the time. Secondarily, I begged and pleaded with Comcast/Xfinity to introduce ala carte pricing, e.g., pick 10 channels for say $3-5 per channel. They don't want to hear ANYTHING about that. Sooooo...."EFF" them!

quote:
Are you still getting the major networks?

I get major networks/local programming with my UHF/VHF OTA antenna.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmpl:

I’m sure it will happen...and I’m sure it will end them. As people left cable for dishes and streaming, they jacked up the prices on their remaining customers like me. That only served to drive me away too. They’ll continue to do it.

The cable companies are going to go away. Google Fiber is $70/month for gigabit transfer; insanely fast. 5G cellular networks are coming that are also gigabit transfer. Traditional cable companies simply cannot match those speeds with their current infrasteucture. They’ve waited too long to invest and are now behind. How do they upgrade their infrastructure while they’re losing paying customers? I don’t think they’ll survive.

Just as we’re buying our TV from huge companies like Amazon, Netflix and Sony, we will be buying our internet access from huge companies like Google, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. These companies have no contracts, and no equipment that we have to “rent” monthly.

IMO, cable companies are run by old dudes who just don’t get it.

That’s a long way of saying, fear not, your cable company will raise their rates and slit their own throats in the process. Gigabit transfer will be available soon and will replace your old slower, more expensive, contract driven internet access.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been reading about this cord cutting but I just dont get it. Are you doing this just to save money? Are you still getting the major networks?

I was wondering the same thing about a year ago. I cut my cable/internet bill roughly in half, I still have all the channels I had before and now I can watch my tv on any device. I have one TV with an AppleTV Velcro’s to the back that I can take to back porch, the garage, where ever I have a power outlet and watch tv just like in my living room. Or I can my channels on my phone or iPad or computer while in the bathroom brushing my teeth.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just use the rabbit ears and saved $$$$.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Cut the cord over a dozen years ago and never got into the new TVs. When I want to see a game I head to the gym or a bar.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Any TWD fans cut the cord and still able to watch it live?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
amc.com

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Just go ahead and give up the idea that ala carte channels will save you any money, even if they were offered, unless the only channels you care about are obscure shit no one else wants. All of the good channels are super expensive from the sources themselves.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
for me, cutting the cord means cutting the cord. no tv. no antennaes, no sat dishes, no tv programs. one half of our household is already there.

What's holding you up?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I dropped cable (Frontier FIOS) last winter and bought a Roku box. Dropping cable reduced my Frontier bill from $160 to $65 (internet and landline). I pay $8/mo for Netflix and $20/mo for Sling, the latter only from September through December for football season. I also have Amazon Prime, but a lot of the cost of that is offset by shipping savings.

I do miss the DVR that came with Frontier cable, and I get a little aggravated now and then that a lot of the movies I want to watch on Amazon are PPV. Other than that, the only I can't get now is my Doctor Who fix.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
IMHO, Roku is the best "first thing to buy" when cord cutting. I've gotten so much use out of the Roku. It offers so much more than the Fire-Stick or the TV's built in apps.

I'll have to agree with this. We never had a "cord" to cut, but we did ditch the DirecTV dish, and its bill. We now have an OTA antenna that picks up all of the Phoenix broadcast stations, plus a Roku box for Amazon Prime streaming. This is all we need. Wife doesn't even watch it, it's most me with Prime video. She's on Facebook.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m turning into a big Roku fan as well. I have the Ultra model as well as
Apple TV boxes. The two kinda overlap where one has a gap.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Check out the PSVUE tv, they blow sling away and have packages starting at $30 per month (all in). Up to 5 devices, free DVR. I hear the DTV streaming TV is good too. I have the $55 per month and it includes ALL channels Comcast had in HD, $75 gets you all channels and HBO and Showtime. Can also purchase the NFL ticket for it for like $35.

Only problem with ps vue is you can only watch it at your home location. We use the roku boxes and I have sling, Netflix and Amazon prime. I can watch at home or my camper at the river. My kids across 3 states also watch them on my accounts and they only pay for their internet. We saved between 4 households over $600 a month.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m turning into a big Roku fan as well. I have the Ultra model as well as
Apple TV boxes. The two kinda overlap where one has a gap.

what gaps have you found?

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post