SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garden critters/deer fencing recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garden critters/deer fencing recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I need to fence an area which will probably end up 14'x10' at most to protect against critters/deer. I was planning to use T-posts and welded wire fencing but someone recommended this polypropylene deer barrier instead. It would end up being much less expensive and would probably be easier to work with as well.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have close to 1,000' of 5' high fence here.

Deer go over it whenever they want, fortunately not often. We feed ~20 deer out front. Otherwise they might be hopping the fence more often to get at the "salad bar."

You need at least 6', pretty sturdy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The guys around here start with 6 1/2' field fence, add one smooth wire (usually stretched at the bottom to show where the posts need to go, then lifted up), and a top wire of barb wire. One ends up with a 7' high fence with barbed wire on top. I've seen deer go over it, but typically only when there is higher terrain they were jumping from.

For the size you are talking about, it would be a bear to stretch wire fence. Going with the plastic you are looking at probably makes good sense. If it isn't tall enough you could always make two passes, overlapping or burying some. You may find critters digging under a problem if the fencing just goes down to the ground. Good luck with your project!

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
How about liberally applying fox urine around the external perimeter.
Human hair clippings, in the same area, may also deter the deer.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a motion-activated sprinkler from Amazon. Worked a lot better than fences, human hair, and deer-be-gone, but it isn't a perimeter defense.

Posts: 6448 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep deer away, simply sprinkle some mothballs around. They can't smell anything, but them and will avoid the area like the plague.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I happen to be an expert on the subject. The linked fencing you posted in the OP will work great...until they decide to go through it. Razz

There are two keys to keeping deer out of gardens (or any area for that matter): High fencing or not allowing them to see what is on the other side. You'll need at least seven feet of height if going for the former.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Gustofer is right. I had the fencing you posted and the first time a neighbor's dog was chasing the deer, it got ripped out.

The fencing from Deer Busters is good to go. Mine has been up since 1997 and is still good.

https://www.deerbusters.com/

If I had it to do over, I would use 1x2 inch by 3 foot high wire fence with four feet of deer fence added for a total height of seven feet. The squirrels, raccoons, rabbits and ground hogs will chew the plastic fence to get through.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you didn't say where you are, deer very a lot in size. At least in NE where I live its all about height. Deer easily jump 6' horse fencing in my pastures. For realistic protection you need 8' and 10 is better, the actual material doesn't matter too much.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. They certainly give me a number of options to consider.

JALLEN, you must have your hands full maintaining 1000' of fence! Fox urine and mothballs both sound worth a try in conjunction with some sort of fencing. I also like the idea of a motion-activated sprinkler but won't have water available in the area 24/7 for some time yet.

Gustofer, I don't have the option of not letting them see what's on the other side as that would essentially block out sunlight so I guess I'm stuck with a 6-7 ft. fence.

So far, most of the deer I've seen seem to be around 70-85 lbs. I'm liking 41's idea of a combo fence. Maybe something like this on the bottom and then some sort of poly deer fencing above that. Since it's only 16 ga., it should be much easier to work with than the 14 ga. taller fencing I was considering initially.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
In the beginning, I used chicken wire along the bottom but it will rust out in 10 years or so.

I replaced it with the 1x2 inch that is 2 feet high. Here is the same fence in a 5 foot height using 14 gauge which should last a long time:

https://www.ruralking.com/red-...-14-gauge-77467.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Gustofer, I don't have the option of not letting them see what's on the other side as that would essentially block out sunlight so I guess I'm stuck with a 6-7 ft. fence.

So far, most of the deer I've seen seem to be around 70-85 lbs. I'm liking 41's idea of a combo fence. Maybe something like this on the bottom and then some sort of poly deer fencing above that. Since it's only 16 ga., it should be much easier to work with than the 14 ga. taller fencing I was considering initially.

I'm in the same boat just given my latitude. Even though the area I've constructed is roughly 40'X40', the shade would not be too conducive to good gardening. I'm using 6' welded wire with a foot or so of lattice on top of that. I've got quite a bit of time and money sunk into it, but I wanted something quality, so....

Another option for you that a buddy of mine did was using cattle panels ( like these) around the bottom and then the poly fencing above that. He claims to have good luck with it. They're premade in 8' lengths so pretty easy to install.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I tried your linked fabric, it was so sheer the deer couldn't see it and tore it down jumping in.
Deer haven't gotten used to the idea that my garden is my property and not theirs.
What I topped my fence line with was 4' construction safety fencing, not one deer got in last summer.
You can see the fence in the background in this picture. The total height with fence and fabric is 8'

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've seen deer jump 6ft fences with ease.

Tall is what you want, no matter the material.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Electric fence right at nose level. Once they touch it, jumping over it will be the last thing on their mind.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Electric fence right at nose level. Once they touch it, jumping over it will be the last thing on their mind.

Used to have a neighbor who swore by that method. Then they lost their entire garden literally overnight. The following year he built a fortress not unlike the one I'm building.

A motivated deer will go under, over, or through an electric fence.

posted Hide Post
I am surrounded by agriculture fields. Hundreds and hundreds of acres. At night you'll hear the faint crack of a 22Rf. That's what the farmers use in this area. The deer don't seem to be diminished as in hunting season you are allowed (5)deer per tag. I allow hunting by permission on our property which is basically hardwoods. I've had individuals max out their tags.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good active dog

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:

I have used this for years. Train them early by putting a dab of peanut butter on the wire and hang flagging tape to remind them where the wires are. You need two strands to keep the fawns out.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1323 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
A friend got tired of deer in his garden. He dropped 16' telephone poles in the ground as fence posts and has two rows (one above the other) of what he described as 'horse fence.' I think the height comes out about 8 feet. He can add one additional row of horse fence if he needs to. He used cattle gates at the entrance - again one above the other. I think he fenced in 2 - 3 acres.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post