SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looks.like my wife totaled her turbo Fusion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks.like my wife totaled her turbo Fusion Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Last week she barely clipped a pole while in a gas station. She hit it just right with the right front fender. She probably was not going faster the 10 mph if that much. She did twist her thumb in the wheel and bruise it, luckly thats all. The damage is localised with the hood, left front fender, facia and grill. The problem is, the rightside curtains popped and the drivers foot and steering wheel bags popped. I had problems with the tow company (another Story) so I just tucked the freaking air bags and drove the thing home. It drive like the car was still new. It's a 16 with 32k on it. I thought about 6k in damage, I had it towed to the dealership and they said 9k. This was last week. This evening we get a call from the USAA adjuster who said he looked at it and called it totaled with 13k in damage. They valued the car at 15 and a half. She owes 24 on the car. I knew she'd be racking up mileage so I talked her into purchasing gap when she bought it. Ford has zero percent financing, I get a military discount, and incentives, I also get X plan through Mustang Club Of America and since her car was still under the factory warranty and her extended was intact it looks like we can walk to a new one and transfer the warranty. We found a 17 that was similar to her 16 except it's blue instead of black. Id like to buy her old car for the interior and put it in my 93 Fox body Mustang somehow, but they probably want too much. I could part the rest of it out.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That's insane.

I think about this and wonder...I guess the insurance companies save so much money not paying hospital bills thanks to the improved safety, that totalling out a car for $24,000 is no issue at all.

A wreck with real injuries probably starts out at $100,000, and quickly goes up to the policy maximums.
My theory make sense?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that since they know we have gap, they could set the value of the car as low as they could and the other company would eat the difference. Their payout would be less and snickering would do us no good in this situation. At least I won't have to deal with dimiished value on top of my premium going up.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I was thinking that since they know we have gap, they could set the value of the car as low as they could and the other company would eat the difference. Their payout would be less and snickering would do us no good in this situation. At least I won't have to deal with dimiished value on top of my premium going up.

If they are totaling it, an almost new vehicle, I'd expect the value would be more concrete, no?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One of our cars has a 'salvage' title, 2009 Vibe. It was 'totaled' early in life, at 3000 miles, rear ended.

We bought it with 9k miles, it's been a most excellent vehicle, 87,000 miles.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pain in the butt.

I sure am glad we don't have poles that move around here.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
That's insane.

I think about this and wonder...I guess the insurance companies save so much money not paying hospital bills thanks to the improved safety, that totalling out a car for $24,000 is no issue at all.

A wreck with real injuries probably starts out at $100,000, and quickly goes up to the policy maximums.
My theory make sense?

My buddy's wife hit a Tesla a few weeks back. The insurance company has called and said they are at policy limits. He's still waiting for call on how much he's personally going to owe. He will likely have to sell his house or go into bankruptcy. He has since raised his coverage, to late for this one though.

DO NOT CARRY STATE MINIUMS FOR CAR INSURANCE! I carry 100/300/100k, I'm thinking about upping it.

Always buy gap insurance for first 2-3 years. It's cheap. Thank God Tommydogg your wife had it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It's getting crazy. I've seen similar things happen up here probably due the cost of OEM replacements parts and labor. The bags deploying at a 10 mph crash didn't help.

Glad the wife is OK.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
My theory make sense?

Kinda sorta. The two aren't necessarily mutually inclusive. Regardless of how safe the car is, if it looks like it is going to cost more to repair the car than it's worth, it's easier and cheaper to just total it out.

And to get $100k you have to have had some sort of surgery or more.

And the insurance company won't care about the GAP coverage. The value of the vehicle is the value of the vehicle, they're not going to play games with the numbers to save a few bucks. It's unethical and a bad faith violation.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What is "GAP?"

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gap insurance is an optional insurance coverage for newer cars that can be added to your collision insurance policy. It may pay the difference between the balance of a lease or loan due on a vehicle and what your insurance company pays if the car is considered a covered total loss.
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What is "GAP?"

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is "GAP?"

Something that people who pay cash for cars have never heard of. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
It's getting crazy. I've seen similar things happen up here probably due the cost of OEM replacements parts and labor. The bags deploying at a 10 mph crash didn't help.
Glad the wife is OK.

It is crazy. I'm all for safety, but unnecessary airbag deployment is a huge problem. Cars are almost always totaled, even when the engine if fine and body damage is minimal. It's hugely expensive, and we all pay, even though we don't immediately realize it, through higher insurance premiums.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's insane.

My theory make sense?

It's very much an issue for insurance companies. A mirror that you used to be able to buy at autozone for $30 now costs $3000 due to all the sensors, etc.. So the severity of injury due to accidents is down, the total cost of accidents is up due to every car on the road being an overpriced disposable dixie cup.

Edit to add: incidents are also up for the first time in decades because texting.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Id like to buy her old car for the interior and put it in my 93 Fox body Mustang somehow, but they probably want too much.

Go here: https://www.copart.com/locationsList/

Visit the locations in Florida and search the results of vehicles similar to yours. Watch what they sell for. Your insurance company knows what it will really sell for due to past auction results, so you can use that information to negotiate with them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
That's insane.

My theory make sense?

It's very much an issue for insurance companies. A mirror that you used to be able to buy at autozone for $30 now costs $3000 due to all the sensors, etc.. So the severity of injury due to accidents is down, the total cost of accidents is up due to every car on the road being an overpriced disposable dixie cup.

Edit to add: incidents are also up for the first time in decades because texting.

This! Vehicle insurance rates are going to start sky rocketing. Mine got raised 10% a few months back for no reason given by us.
I have had insurance for almost 20 years now and NEVER have my rates increased outside of an upgraded vehicle.
So I went and spoke with my agent. Total losses are at an all time high because of all these crazy expensive parts and sensors.
He said he has been in vehicle insurance for 30 years and prior to this last year he saw on average 2 total losses a month for his customers.
Over the past year and a half he is averaging 4 total losses a WEEK.

Wife got in a very minor collision. Only damage to the headlight on her car nothing to the other car. $3200 to replace 1 headlight.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Bumper covers that used to cost a couple hundred bucks now cost $1000 plus due to all of the backup sensors in them. $50 tail lights are now multiple hundreds of dollars due to integrated leds. Auto dimming/aiming headlights. Mirrors with heat, turn signals and blind spot sensors. All this stuff causes fender benders to turn into multiple thousand dollar claims.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Repair costs are crazy.

Our cat sitter scraped the right side of the LS430 on the garage. It's a 2004. The repair estimate was close to $3k. Scheduling the repair was a problem, 6 weeks wait. A friend of mine who is a long time used car impresario said he could handle it. It took a couple of hours and $125.

That same car was involved in a very slight ding situation to the right headlight area when a dingbat changed lanes in the middle of a left turn in Coronado years ago. Her insurance estimated, and sent a check for $1,100. Body Medics in San Diego made it good as new for less than $200.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
wonder what that turbo motor would look/sound like in a street rod??

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Id like to buy her old car for the interior and put it in my 93 Fox body Mustang somehow, but they probably want too much.

Go here: https://www.copart.com/locationsList/

Visit the locations in Florida and search the results of vehicles similar to yours. Watch what they sell for. Your insurance company knows what it will really sell for due to past auction results, so you can use that information to negotiate with them.

I talked to the body shop manager about the salvage and he said the same thing. The whole picture is clearer now. With what they would pay to repair it vs what they pay in settlement on factored in with what they make off the salvage, it's a win win for the insurance company and they get a rate increase on top of that! In the good ole days, you got first dibs and you could purchase the carcass for next to nothing!

Beth Greene