SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Tool Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Tool Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
I have an indoor storage unit in which I have many old cracked large plastic storage bins. I need to cut them up to fit them in my car trunk (I have a small sports coupe) so I can cart them off to the dump. I can't use power tools in the unit. Some kind of tin snips maybe? Please help Thanks

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't use power tools in the unit.

Confused Curious why not - noise? No electric outlets for a cord? A cordless reciprocating saw would make short work of something like that. For a single use, one from Harbor Freight is more than sufficient.

How thick is this plastic? Compound leverage snips with a slightly serrated edge - aka aviation snips - could cut it if it isn't too thick. Otherwise the jaws just slip off. Your hand will be worn out before long. Something else might be a woodworking saw, perhaps a backsaw as it is reinforced and won't bend.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Battery powered sawzall, carry the broken bin outside their fence, saw it, throw in trunk, rinse & repeat

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23250 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No outlets near my unit, but cordless sawzall
would work. You guy jogged my memory. Off to home depot to buy the Milwaukee Handzall one hand 18v cordless saw.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
If they are the flexible plastic bins, a utility knife will work. If they are the brittle, translucent type, a baseball bat might work.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Home Depot/Uhaul pickup truck rental.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
f its a one time job, there are places that will rent one to you or a day , or half day

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You shall burn it with fire...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
Agree that a sawzall is the tool for this job. My wife uses it all the time for cutting various things made of plastic, just like those bins.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
It might be easier to buy a angle grinder and put a cutting blade on it.

That will be less rattle and shake, and easier cutting so long as what your cutting isnt deep.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Large tin snips.
2. Small tree-limb loppers.
3. Axe.

(But, I never turn down an opportunity to buy a power tool.)

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Don't you have recyclable pickup where you live?
Plastics are recyclable.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
pick up a pair of safety glasses along with the saw. A lot of that plastic crap shatters.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Find a friend with a truck or SUV, donate and tote them to Goodwill, claim it on your taxes!!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post