SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OBD II scanners-what to look for, recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OBD II scanners-what to look for, recommendations? Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
I'd like to purchase a scanner to have on hand for those times when it is needed.

I know little (little means I know I plug them into a port) about them as far as options and capabilities. This is for personal use, not commercial, and more so I can track what is happening and fix what I can.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I had a Scan Gauge II that worked really well, plus you get all kinds of sensor readout data. That was for my old truck. For my new truck I bought the Carista dongle that connects to my phone. I get the codes, readings, and can also change some funtions on the computer.

It let me shut off that damn seatbelt chime.

What vehicle do you have?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I bought the cheapest I could find to just pull the code and be able to "erase" the check engine light.

Most codes are a google search away, save for specialty cars like BMW/Mini and the like.

YMMV

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use this one which was about fifteen bucks. This one uses wifi; it works a lot better than the bluetooth, those units kept failing to pair. This connects with my Android device. I use the free Torque app and the combo works wonderfully.

The unit I linked isn't currently available but there are several other wireless units in that price range. Just pick one with good reviews.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use BAFX Products' OBDII Diagnostic interface module that plugs into and resides in the vehicle's port when needed. It then Bluetooths to the TORQUE OBDII app in my cellphone. Obviously, it will also pair with my laptop but that arrangement is a little more cumbersome than my cell phone, especially going down the road. It works extremely well and if you use it in a wi-fi-covered area, it will go to the internet and gather additional info on any failure codes if you wish. The module is about 2/3 the length and width and about the same thickness of a pack of cigarettes.

The unit has a feature-rich menu and its performance has been absolutely flawless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...search/result?q=obd2
?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight has multiple models. I got one of their better ones, but if you just want to read and erase codes pretty much anyone will do that.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I had a Scan Gauge II that worked really well, plus you get all kinds of sensor readout data. That was for my old truck. For my new truck I bought the Carista dongle that connects to my phone. I get the codes, readings, and can also change some funtions on the computer.

It would be used on multiple vehicles. Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have an ELM 327, got it online for 11 bucks a while back on Amazon I think. I've used it on multiple vehicles over the last few years. I connect it to my phone via Bluetooth. I think today's models have the wifi option. I use the torque app also. I was using the free app then upgraded to the 1.99 app, might be wrong on the price, it's been a while. The ELM 327 just plugs into the OBDII port. If your port is somewhere where you cant bump it with your knee, you can leave it plugged up and monitor everything via simulated gauges on your phone or tablet. Works well to impress chicks!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I too use an ELM 327 wifi device (iCar III) off ebay (wifi=apple ios, Bluetooth=android and windows). I connect to an iPad using two different apps - OBD Fusion and Dash Command. They are set up as gauges and for data gathering. They both have a diagnostic mode to read codes and reset them. You can set up different vehicles. They have specific downloads for brand/year if you want to go beyond collecting the SAE parameters - these get you the brand specific PIDs for the years (e.g. Ford 2012, Ford 2013, Chevy X.) I also got the OBD manuals from Ford online for each year (no cost). You gotta like to tinker and set up the gauges you want to monitor - but you get to see what your engine management system is doing and can record sessions and replay them - if you like to know what your fuel air ratio, cat temps, air temps, barometric pressure, O2 sensors, boost, spark advance and all that stuff is doing. These do not have any control of the ABS system. If you don't already have an ipad or a phone obviously the cost of this is way more than a specific scan tool. Not counting the ipad, I am probably around $100 for the wifi device, the two apps and 3 different years of extra PID's I loaded. Obviously would be cheaper to pick one app but I wanted to see if either was any better.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

It would be used on multiple vehicles. Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi...

The ScanGauge should work with any OBDII port. The Carista site has a vehicle compatibility list. They didn't list my 2016 Tacoma, but it still works great.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Here's what I bought:

Autel AL 519

Reasonably priced and reasonably capable...and helped troubleshoot my problem with my Tundra. Probably will save money going forward.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My father has a fairly expensive one and all we ever do with it is simple code reading and clearing. I keep meaning to get another cheapie to leave in the car because apparently I don't need a good one. lol

Although... I've wanted to add an actual temperature gauge but can't find a free spot to add a sending unit. I've been thinking about a bluetooth reader that would give me that info live. (I'm not really looking for it all the time, just on long roar trips, especially in the summer)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
For cheap you can get an ELM327 plugin and use your phone to read engine and transmission codes and reset codes. For app I have used Dashcmd and Enginelink. Dashboss is a nice combo too for a little more money. If you want to read other codes like SRS you need something like an Autel as posted above. Most of the cheap models use the same basic Chinese software. For $200-$300 you can read and reset most codes including abs and airbag. If you want to spend about $700 EASE software has a great package for domestic makers you use with a laptop and a plugin.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I use autoenginuity and love it. It's a very powerful program and unless you are planning on using it for true diagnostics you can get by with just a simple code reader from pretty much any manufacturer.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I bought the cheapest I could find to just pull the code and be able to "erase" the check engine light.

Most codes are a google search away, save for specialty cars like BMW/Mini and the like.

YMMV

Don't read past this, unless you plan to diag and fix the car yourself. I have the snap on solis, and modis, as well as a few super expensive oem diag tools. I use a $30 obd2 scanner More than all of them.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post