SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA has IRS troubles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA has IRS troubles Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, now the IRS determines what “excessive” is?

How do you get a bunch of conservatives to cheer on the IRS? Have them investigate the NRA.

Which works great until the IRS arbitrarily decides your return is excessive.

IRS rules succinctly state how much administrative expenses are allowed for 501C entities, as well as other topics. These items have been adjudicated and are sufficiently applicable throughout.

Hardly arbitrary.

I can't argue. But I also can't forget Lois Lerner of the IRS targeting conservative non profits, the FBI said she did nothing wrong.

Word.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

IRS rules succinctly state how much administrative expenses are allowed for 501C entities, as well as other topics. These items have been adjudicated and are sufficiently applicable throughout.

Hardly arbitrary.

That is sad to hear. I'm not surprised at the overreach by the government, but I am still disgusted by it.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If one thing is correct, there is nothing arbitrary about how the IRS operates.

They are weaponized against conservatives.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Not a penny to the NRA until Wayne and his crew are long gone and an independent forensic accountant report is made public.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
This Benefactor Member agrees with you 100%!

as an Endowment Member, I concur.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Fuck that guy. He's the reason I haven't joined the NRA. I did join the Gun Owners of America though.

Exactly what I did. When I was deciding which foundation to join/support, I looked up who got the Heller case to the Supreme Court and became a life member.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
Not a penny to the NRA until Wayne and his crew are long gone and an independent forensic accountant report is made public.

I am on the same page.

I do read the account as the NRA filed the return, financial and tax people employed by the NRA determined the expenses were not in compliance with IRS regulations. Based on the news from the NRA and the shenanigans over the past few years, this isn't a surprise. The reluctance of the NRA board to conduct a third party audit speaks volumes. FOAC and GOA are the recipients of my donations until the NRA cleans up its act.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I want the NRA to be the 800 lb gorilla that makes Congressional Critters piss their pants.

Tatortodd is not wrong. We can stomp around and want LaPierre gone all we want, but the truth is that we need for NRA to be that 800-lb gorilla.

These are not mutually exclusive goals, y'all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I want the NRA to be the 800 lb gorilla that makes Congressional Critters piss their pants.

Tatortodd is not wrong. We can stomp around and want LaPierre gone all we want, but the truth is that we need for NRA to be that 800-lb gorilla.

I might ask, what is LaPierre's top priority, to live high on other people's money? Or to protect the 2A? If he faced an either/or, which one would prevail? Is there a chance that his selfish lifestyle and lack of character could jeopardize the NRA's non-profit status AND the NRA credibility?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are both Endowment members. Not another dime from us until they clean up their house, starting with LaPierre's departure and complete audits of their financial dealings.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I might ask, what is LaPierre's top priority, to live high on other people's money? Or to protect the 2A? If he faced an either/or, which one would prevail? Is there a chance that his selfish lifestyle and lack of character could jeopardize the NRA's non-profit status AND the NRA credibility?

We need the NRA to be strong.
The optics of the LaPierre issue are worse than the reality.
That be it as it may but we need the organization more.
Unfortunately today the media rules the world and it is what their facts that matter. Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a Life Member for a number of years, maybe 25-30, can't recall. My wife is an annual member who was going to upgrade to Life until the latest scandal started.

No upgrades for either of us, and no donations until that guy is gone, gone, gone.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Yes we need the NRA to be strong. But LaPierre's lack of integrity has weakened the NRA's influence. If LaPierre cared more about the 2A than he cares about himself, he would resign.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Treasury knows exactly what LaPierre's income has been for his entire history and when there is a major uptick in income it triggers a review.

Id you're accustomed to making $500,000 a year and you've been having that level of income for 10 - 15 years and all of a sudden your income balloons to $5 million a year, you think someone's not gonna notice?

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

vthoky partial quoted me. I was very clear in my full post that I want LaPierre gone and the NRA reformed. They’re a fat, bloated organization right now not the lean, mean 800 gorrilla.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:. . . vthoky partial quoted me. I was very clear in my full post that I want LaPierre gone and the NRA reformed.

If that were to happen, I would surmise NRA credibility, membership, and related revenues, would increase notably.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
vthoky partial quoted me. I was very clear in my full post that I want LaPierre gone and the NRA reformed. They’re a fat, bloated organization right now not the lean, mean 800 gorrilla.

And that was my point -- I'm agreeing with you, tatortodd.
We can pursue Wayne's departure and the NRA's "fighting diet" at the same time.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I guess one of my concerns is that the LaPierre extravagant spending dirt came out about 4 years ago (IIRC), starting the damage to the credibility/power of the NRA. It seems he didn't change his spending habits, which to me is proof of his priorities.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And that was my point -- I'm agreeing with you, tatortodd.
We can pursue Wayne's departure and the NRA's "fighting diet" at the same time.
I understood you, but it was obvious that the 2 people who quoted you didn’t due to the partial quote.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have asked this before, but have never gotten an answer. How much money should Wayne LaPierre make? Does the fact that he leads a five million member organization mean anything? The NRA has lots of employees living in a very high cost of living area. Should Wayne make as much as anybody else that works for the NRA? Remember, some NRA employees may not be gun owners but have management or technical skills the NRA needs. I am sure that a top notch accountant or lawyer is not going to take a cut in pay just to work for the NRA. So should Wayne make as much as the janitor? Or the security guard? How about the mail room clerk? Or the accountant that keeps track of membership renewals or various other thing that are necessary for an organization the size of the NRA? Should he make as much as a college football coach? A low level NFL player? Should we entrust the NRA to a guy that works for minimum wage? I wonder how many of you that say you will give once Wayne is gone really will? Or if you went to the best lawyer in town and you thought he made too much money, would you refuse to pay him and go to jail instead? So could someone who thinks he makes too much money tell me what he should make? For the ones that give to Gun Owners of America, how much should the head of that organization make? Do you have any idea who the head of GOA is? How many of his family members does GOA employ? I am sure that since you won't give to the NRA because Wayne makes to much, you most know exactly what the head of GOA makes?
I live in the Washington D.C. area. I read the newspapers every day. I always hear the anti gunners complaining about the NRA. But very seldom hear them mention GOA.
I think it would be a shame if after years of trying to silence the NRA, the anti gunners were finally successful because they convinced gun owners that the head of the NRA made too much money.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post