SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA has IRS troubles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA has IRS troubles Login/Join 
posted
Per Washington Post:

“The tax return, which The Washington Post obtained from the organization, says the NRA “became aware during 2019 of a significant diversion of its assets.” The 2019 filing states that LaPierre and five former officials received “excess benefits,” a term the IRS uses when officials have enriched themselves at the expense of a nonprofit entity.”

Sad news, but not surprising. Try here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...2c0b8d571_story.html

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Fuck that guy. He's the reason I haven't joined the NRA. I did join the Gun Owners of America though.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, now the IRS determines what “excessive” is?

How do you get a bunch of conservatives to cheer on the IRS? Have them investigate the NRA.

Which works great until the IRS arbitrarily decides your return is excessive.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a fan on LaPaierre I also not trusting of the Washington Post.

They have shown to be anti-NRA and I'm sure will lead an article to show trouble with the organization.

Might be true but I would like to see some other info.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The IRS and MSN? Totally trustworthy

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
All one needs to know about the Washington Post is who owns it...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/s...ost/?sh=393960d83aab

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

How do you get a bunch of conservatives to cheer on the IRS? Have them investigate the NRA.

Yeah, no kidding.

STOP TRUSTING THE MEDIA. Even if there is some truth in their reporting, it is all fake. Don't trust a single bit of it. Stop listening to these people who hate you.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
While I'm not a fan on LaPaierre I also not trusting of the Washington Post...

What he said. Their articles are 99.999% liberal garbage, I skim thru the www site daily and often hate myself afterwards.

I have family in western MD I visit about once a year. I used to buy the Sunday ComPost there until my brother went ballistic and urged me to stop.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, now the IRS determines what “excessive” is?...

I agree. If this is done to try to cripple the NRA, I guess I am going to have to rejoin.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
The Washington post, I'm going to need more than that.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
IMO, the best part of the story was this:
quote:
“LaPierre would have stepped aside a long time ago if his concern was really for the institution,” said Rob Pincus, a lifetime NRA member who has led a campaign to overhaul the organization. “He remains a distraction and a detraction.”
I agree 100% with Pincus and have posted that repeatedly since the story first broke 1.5 years ago. I am an Endowment level member and I want the NRA to be the 800 lb gorrilla that makes Congressional Critters piss their pants. To do that they need to clean house (e.g. LaPierre), set-up appropriate financial controls (fixing their tax return is a good start), treat their legal entities separate as required by laws (i.e. stop intermixing funds), audit their subcontractors (e.g. ad agencies and lawyers), and they need to significantly decrease the number of board members (there is no oversight when there is a 76 member board).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, everyone hates the IRS and the corrupt media. That's a given. But, if anyone here still thinks that LaPierre is still a force of good that will lift the NRA out of its current mess, you're out of your mind. That jerk, and those that have been enabling him, needs to go.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
“LaPierre would have stepped aside a long time ago if his concern was really for the institution,” said Rob Pincus, a lifetime NRA member who has led a campaign to overhaul the organization. “He remains a distraction and a detraction.”
I agree 100% with Pincus and have posted that repeatedly since the story first broke 1.5 years ago. I am an Endowment level member and I want the NRA to be the 800 lb gorrilla that makes Congressional Critters piss their pants. To do that they need to clean house (e.g. LaPierre)....

Rob Pincus is media director for https://www.savethe2a.org/

I too am an NRA life member. I've looked at the www site but that's it.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, everyone hates the IRS and the corrupt media. That's a given. But, if anyone here still thinks that LaPierre is still a force of good that will lift the NRA out of its current mess, you're out of your mind. That jerk, and those that have been enabling him, needs to go.

I think that covers it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
That jerk [snip] needs to go.

How do we the NRA members speed that process along?

Working from home a little now, I've got a bit of time for some letter-writing....

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The article is behind a paywall so I can't read it, But the IRS code has lots of sections that deal with the subject of 'excessive'. Its not a determination in the sense you think about some bureaucrat deciding something but tax code sections that are intended to insure that certain things happen. Like that the top executives can't have better pension benefits by more than a certain amount than average beneficiaries or that you can't contribute and benefit to some plans above a certain amount. etc. etc. We have to see way more of the details to really know anything. But suffice it to say in my mind LaPierre was paid more than he was worth and needs to go.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I belong to NRA and will continue to.
Lapierre needs to go and now.
Why cant the members make this happen?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:

IRS rules succinctly state how much administrative expenses are allowed for 501C entities, as well as other topics. These items have been adjudicated and are sufficiently applicable throughout.

Hardly arbitrary.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I agree 100% with Pincus and have posted that repeatedly since the story first broke 1.5 years ago. I am an Endowment level member and I want the NRA to be the 800 lb gorrilla that makes Congressional Critters piss their pants. To do that they need to clean house (e.g. LaPierre), set-up appropriate financial controls (fixing their tax return is a good start), treat their legal entities separate as required by laws (i.e. stop intermixing funds), audit their subcontractors (e.g. ad agencies and lawyers), and they need to significantly decrease the number of board members (there is no oversight when there is a 76 member board).

This Benefactor Member agrees with you 100%!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:

IRS rules succinctly state how much administrative expenses are allowed for 501C entities, as well as other topics. These items have been adjudicated and are sufficiently applicable throughout.

Hardly arbitrary.

I can't argue. But I also can't forget Lois Lerner of the IRS targeting conservative non profits, the FBI said she did nothing wrong.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post