SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazing 'drought' finds near New Grange sites in Ireland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazing 'drought' finds near New Grange sites in Ireland Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
With the recent drought here in Western Europe, there have been some great opportunities for researchers with drones to fly the landscape looking for possible sites of historical interest.

This culminated a coule of days ago by the discovery of a number of hitherto unsuspected and HUGE sites near the UNESCO New Grange Neolithic site by the River Boyne in Ireland. Here is a good link -

https://mythicalireland.com/MI...-lifetime-discovery/

And here is the thread on boards.ie -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulleti...522317#post107522317

I can only hope that the RoI has sufficient resources and field archeologists to make the most of these new opportunities dropped into their laps.

tac

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Very cool. It's not surprising that this was discovered, and I fully expect we'll never run out of things hiding in (somewhat) plain sight. As long-settled and relatively compact as the Isles/EU/Middle East is, it's not a matter of is there any evidence of settlement, but rather which culture.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Those are some remarkable discoveries and make me wonder what else we don’t know about the ancients.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thank you.

Those are some remarkable discoveries and make me wonder what else we don’t know about the ancients.

Lacking any form of written record, 99% of what we think we know is conjecture, and the rest is just guesswork.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Fascinating!!

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
...and now, a NEW PASSAGE TOMB!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinst...ll-meath-megalithic/

This is just overwhelming news for every interested person.

tac

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. I’m glad to see they are continuing the exploration of the area.

My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to New Grange a few years ago. It was very educational and gave me a greater appreciation for the culture and the area. My family originated in the Meath/Westmeath area so I have to wonder if one of my great x 250+ grandparents might have helped haul some of those stones. The way they think they got them from the quarry, miles away, by hauling them under the boat, was a novel way of doing it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's very cool to see these things come back like that, long covered or buried.

Just the other week around here, there was a woman who came out to her driveway and finds it caved in, with all the recent rain we had, it turned out to be a long-forgotten stream that had been arched over in the Colonial era and paved. You could see the stream running below right through the hole in her asphalt driveway!

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post