SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone hunt with a crossbow?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunt with a crossbow? Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
I’ve been a long time archery hunter and have always used a compound bow. Well due to a shoulder issue I’m looking at buying my first crossbow. I’m pretty sure I’m going to pickup a Tenpoint Eclipse RCX with ACUdraw. It’s listed for $1199 but marked down to $850 on clearance and reviews look good. The nice thing is Tenpoint is located about 30 minutes from here. So any crossbow folks on what to look for or other pointers?

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two tenpoints. Get the crank, not the pullback acudraw. spend the extra money.

With the crank I have taken 6 pairs of deer. out of the 20 or so deer I have shot. Trying to pull back evenly, silently, and unseen in a treestand is nearly impossible. However, you can set your crank to silent (no backstop though) and 22.75 cranks turns mine to full lock back. Pull the crank system off. Seat a new bolt. and sit and wait for your first deer to expire.

Usually, within 10 min, another one will come along. Then you pop that one also

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
The one I have money down has the crank. Another shop tried to say I didn’t need it but as I get older more things seem to ache every day.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The crank is well worth it. Trust me. Use it once in the treestand and you will see what I mean.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
It'll be nice havint 10 Point down the street when it comes time to change the string out. Had mine done a couple years bask and pricing was reasonable. They are about an hour from me.

My crossbow has the accudraw 50 which I like. Makes it a lot easier when practicing. Pulling the string back is pretty easy and have had no issues with alignment. I sit in a ground blind so cocking the string is not an issue. The crank would be a benefit sitting in a stand.

The downside? I would say the compound string and having to send the bow back to 10 Point to have the string changed out. If I were to do it again, I may look into the Excalibur with the single string so I could replace it myself.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
It'll be nice havint 10 Point down the street when it comes time to change the string out. Had mine done a couple years bask and pricing was reasonable. They are about an hour from me.

My crossbow has the accudraw 50 which I like. Makes it a lot easier when practicing. Pulling the string back is pretty easy and have had no issues with alignment. I sit in a ground blind so cocking the string is not an issue. The crank would be a benefit sitting in a stand.

The downside? I would say the compound string and having to send the bow back to 10 Point to have the string changed out. If I were to do it again, I may look into the Excalibur with the single string so I could replace it myself.

Last time i spoke with ten point they only needed the head unit. It has been several years though.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a great company,had one for around twenty years,get the crank,your bones will thank you.
Get their scope also,it will hold up as I tried to cheep out and after a few shots it trashed that one.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely going with the crank. I just turned 53 Saturday and this year the aches and pains are popping up more. Not only my right shoulder but my left thumb. And I havenoidea what I did to either one.