SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge Login/Join 
posted
I will be driving from New Orleans to Baton Rouge and spending a couple of nights in Baton Rouge. Are there any must visit restaurants on the way to Baton Rouge or in Baton Rouge? What about places to visit? Thank you for any advice, Iron Worker.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I was there for a pickleball tournament last year and an old friend took me here...
https://www.mansursontheboulevard.com/main/home

Excellent food and service!

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Juban's (Perkins)
Parrains (Perkins)
Mike Anderson's (Lee)
The Rum House (interesting tacos) (Perkins)
Elsie's Plate and Pie (Government)
Tiger Deauxnuts and Barbecue (Government) (word-of-mouth -- Haven't been there since they just combined, but the BBQ is from a place I used to go)
Pit-n-Peel (Government) (can be really slow, so maybe better call ahead)

ETA: I haven't been to Mansur's, but my wife and I have been wanting to go -- it has an excellent reputation.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parrains (Perkins)

+1

Best grilled oysters I have ever eaten. Also, have some foods you probably don't get in NoVA such as fried alligator and turtle soup.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
These are the conventional wisdom in Baton Rouge:

Mansurs is a nice place with very good food.
Mike Andersons is a long time local favorite for seafood, and is good- more casual.
Jubans is good, but haven't been in a while- a bit fancier, place you'd take a date or someone you want to impress.
Parrains is good and casual.

All primarily seafood.

I don't disagree with the others mentioned, but can't confirm personally.

I really like Eliza; it's relatively new, and a small place, but very good:

http://elizabatonrouge.com/

Beausoleil is also very good, casual, but more of a foodie place:

http://beausoleilrestaurant.com/

If you like mediterranean, we have an outstanding Greek restaurant, Zorbas:

https://www.zorbasbistro.com/

My recommendation would be Eliza or Zorbas, but if there is something in particular you want to eat, let me know.

When are you going to be here? With other folks or alone? I may be able to meet up is you're interested.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
How about Ruffino's? The ESPN folks love it, I've not been but it sounds good. A little outside of town I guess.

link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
How about Ruffino's? The ESPN folks love it, I've not been but it sounds good. A little outside of town I guess.

link

Generally okay, but can be hit or miss. Certainly nothing special and wouldn't/didn't make my list of recommendations. LSU football connection, so that may explain the ESPN connection.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot this one...

http://www.louisianalagniapperestaurant.com

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

link

Generally okay, but can be hit or miss. Certainly nothing special and wouldn't/didn't make my list of recommendations. LSU football connection, so that may explain the ESPN connection.

I would agree. It was probably more about football than food

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
For a more low brow scene, where many locals eat lunch or dinner try Fleur de Lis on Government, for Roman Pie type pizza and a down home atmosphere.
Try Thai Pepper on Florida, for some reasonably priced, excellent, authentic Thai food. They grow some of their herbs on their back patio.
You should also visit The Chimes on Highland. It's been a staple in Baton Rouge with LSU students, staff and others for years. Great food.
Enjoy.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had maybe the best steak I have ever had at Ruth's Chris there.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
I don't do typical seafood...Cajun or not:

Boutins for Chicken/Sausage Gumbo & Garlic Bread + Popcorn Fried Crawfish...quiet in the afternoon, down home family entertainment pm.

Parrains for Blackened...also, Fried Gator and oysters, other guys really like Black & Blue Tuna...wait in the bar.

Chimes for Blackened...also, Fried Gator...can be a zoo afternoon and evenings though.

Jubans/Mansurs/Lagniappe all at least good + too...

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. We ended up at Mike Anderson's. It was good.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
turtle soup

Yum! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Too bad you are going further West. You could eat at Prejean’s on I-49. It is a great place to eat at!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Too bad you are going further West. You could eat at Prejean’s on I-49. It is a great place to eat at!

I passed there about 2 hours ago.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
Thanks to all who replied. We ended up at Mike Anderson's. It was good.

I live about 20 miles north of BR and have never been there. I hope you enjoyed it