SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helicopter flying characteristics ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helicopter flying characteristics ? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I believe for 2 night, I've been seeing a flight of these, 12 or so, come in to land and, this evening take off. Last evening, a couple almost seemed to be doing a low level search. Two would hover for a extended period, 5 to 10 minutes prior to traveling north and I believe land. I am viewing them from 2 to 3 miles estimate. In lifting off tonight, again, 2 will hover in place about 1,000 to 2,000 feet estimate, for 5 to 10 minutes prior to low level, slow speed flight. If I am viewing helos, what is the purpose of the extended period of hover ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:...what is the purpose of the extended period of hover ?

To learn how to hover for extended periods of time.

In a hover you learn to override your "feelings and seat of the pants" tendencies and learn to relay and "trust" the instruments.

There will be many times a rotor winged pilot will encounter poor visibility, unpredictable winds and such, and the inputs that he may induce that can lead to a very bad and rapidly deteriorating situation.

Being able to quickly read, head and function in a totally instrument flight regime, may be the only thing from living or dying.

It only takes a single misunderstanding of your brain "thinking" it knows, before you make the last mistake.

Case in point.

Once upon a time...

-53 in hover to position and land next to an aircraft utilized for re-fuel source, prior to abort of a mission, and in a severe dusty environment where all visual reference was lost, except the ground member marshaling the -53 to a point where the refuel station was located(fuel bladder), and as the marshaller was moving backwards and away from the -53, the pilot of the -53 perceived that he was "moving rearward" and "corrected", resulting in his moving forward and impacting a fixed wing aircraft that was finishing refueling from the same station.

8 died. 4 injured. Lots of broken things.

Worst day ever.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Learning to use FLIR?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not enough information has been provided about location, altitude, etc. A number of reasons could be for what's described. A group of 12 helicopters, however, is not "learning to hover." They're a little past that point.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:...what is the purpose of the extended period of hover ?

To learn how to hover for extended periods of time.

In a hover you learn to override your "feelings and seat of the pants" tendencies and learn to relay and "trust" the instruments.

There will be many times a rotor winged pilot will encounter poor visibility, unpredictable winds and such, and the inputs that he may induce that can lead to a very bad and rapidly deteriorating situation.

Being able to quickly read, head and function in a totally instrument flight regime, may be the only thing from living or dying.

It only takes a single misunderstanding of your brain "thinking" it knows, before you make the last mistake.

Case in point.

Once upon a time...

-53 in hover to position and land next to an aircraft utilized for re-fuel source, prior to abort of a mission, and in a severe dusty environment where all visual reference was lost, except the ground member marshaling the -53 to a point where the refuel station was located(fuel bladder), and as the marshaller was moving backwards and away from the -53, the pilot of the -53 perceived that he was "moving rearward" and "corrected", resulting in his moving forward and impacting a fixed wing aircraft that was finishing refueling from the same station.

Worst day ever.
OK, I thought maybe it had something to do with engines, hydrolics or rotors. Thank you.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Not enough information has been provided about location, altitude, etc. A number of reasons could be for what's described. A group of 12 helicopters, however, is not "learning to hover." They're a little past that point.
Location not needed. And thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Location not needed. And thank you.

Actually, it is relevant. As a pilot, there was a reason I mentioned it.

Altitude and location are very important.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Once upon a time...

Worst day ever.

That accident had previously been reported as a grond taxi collision. Frown

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Navarre crash This horrific crash was caused by just what sigmonkey was explaining.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

That was a joke.

"...what is the purpose of the extended period of hover ?"

"To learn how to hover for extended periods of time."

Sometimes ya just gotta let up a little, with that death grip, on the yoke.

You are pretty smart guy, and you have a wealth of knowledge and experience. I have worked with, served with and flown with good people like you.

Unlax and have some fun.

Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.

Helicopters don’t fly, they are so ugly the earth repels them. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a pair of binocs as I dont know what kind of choppers they were. I have seen 5 Apaches just north of me last year and a few solo Apache. The ones hovering and 2 at a time low going north to land almost looked like they were scoping out the terraine.

posted Hide Post
when an aircraft went missing in Arizona , we watched an Apache hover for over 25 minutes , then we got bored and went on our way

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post