SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had nearly a half-million dollars to drop on a ring, would you buy it at Costco?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had nearly a half-million dollars to drop on a ring, would you buy it at Costco? Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it the thought that counts? Costco, you weren’t thinking.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Details are on the page with the ring, cert # etc, Imagine they'd let you inspect the ring, GIA etc.

Return policy below...

Features:
GIA #:6202677357
Metal: Platinum
Diamond Shape: Round Brilliant
Diamond Weight: 10.03
Diamond Clarity: Very Slightly Included ( VS1)
Diamond Color: Near Colorless ( I )
GIA Diamond Cut Grade: Excellent
Ring Size: 7 - Sizeable to any size (Costco does not provide this service).

Costco makes purchasing the highest quality diamonds easy by offering only the industry's highest quality diamonds at the lowest possible price. Our long-standing relationship with our suppliers guarantees we get the best selection at the best value. Costco's experienced buying team works with our suppliers evaluating and hand-selecting each diamond for its quality and brilliance. Our team of Graduate Gemologists then inspects every diamond to ensure it meets the strictest quality standards in the industry in cut, color, clarity, and craftsmanship. You can be confident your purchase is as special to us as it is to you.

This item comes with a Jewelry Grading / Gemological Report. This report is to certify that the item described above is genuine, and has been independently examined by a certified gemological laboratory.

Also included with this diamond is a GIA (Gemological Institute of America), Gem Trade Laboratory, Diamond Grading Report. Gem Trade Laboratory is a division of GIA Enterprises, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the nonprofit Gemological Institute of America, Inc. This describes the characteristics of the diamond at the time of the examination based upon 10x magnification.

When returning unique jewelry items, or items containing a 1.00 ct center diamond or larger, Costco warehouses may require additional time to verify the diamond, in which case a refund will be approved upon positive verification and as long as the item is not damaged or changed in any way (i.e. resized or reset). This process may require two to five business days.

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Just for yucks.

I had no idea that there were $419,000 rings in Costco's jewelry counter.

https://www.costco.com/round-b...oduct.100142632.html

Maybe it's worth every penny, but I suspect the kind of woman that would be gifted this ring would want to hear that it came from Tiffany's, not Costo.

Maybe if Costco had named its jewelry store De Bergerac's or something like that you would feel better?

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no one I know would want a ring , when they could have a nice house, instead.

and what would Gale O Grady do if she found out that I bought her ring at Costco ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
No.
1) It is compressed carbon, fairly common stuff that carbon.
2) That money buys a lot of a lot more practical things.
3) The chick that needs a ring like that is waaay more expensive than the ring.
4) Nobody needs a (particular) chick THAT badly. They might think they do, but that's about it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't buy a million dollar version, or a one thousand dollar one. In fact, I have never bought a diamond and never will as it's an overpriced stone, and trinket. Marriage is about God, it's a religious act, so Groove Life silicon rings will suffice. For centuries family heirloom rings were used for wedding ceremonies. Passed down from the matriarchs. Only in the early 20th century did Diamonds become a thing, via DeBeers and a marketing campaign in every newspaper from NY City to Los Ang-eles. I don't buy into marketing or perpetuate this sadistic ritual of spending thousands of dollars on a trinket. No I'm not married and if a rock is the part of the price of entry I don't need it. Saying the vows and making the promise to God to keep your word is all that matters. The rest is for show.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
romance written all over that.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What you guys don't realize is that the listing is just to enhance their catalog.
I seriously doubt they expect to sell it.
If they do it is because of the actual value and at that point who cares where it came from.
If it is worth it - it has the possibility to sell.
But most likely it is just a publicity stunt.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If I had half a Mil to spend on a ring...it would be AFTER I stopped at the Porsche store and I bought myself a couple of 911's a GTS Cayman and maybe a Cayenne or Macan for everyday. Stupid diamonds. I new I had a good one when, many years back my soon to be bride didn't want a diamond.

Bought her a ladies Rolex instead.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
No, I'd call Dave Truong. Big Grin

Ding, ding... we have the winning post right here!

quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
No.
3) The chick that needs a ring like that is waaay more expensive than the ring.
4) Nobody needs a (particular) chick THAT badly. They might think they do, but that's about it.

And this right here.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OTOH, it's really no different from having Breakfast at Tiffany's.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16344 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ignore the “Kirkland” inscription on the band

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
What you guys don't realize is that the listing is just to enhance their catalog.
I seriously doubt they expect to sell it.
If they do it is because of the actual value and at that point who cares where it came from.
If it is worth it - it has the possibility to sell.
But most likely it is just a publicity stunt.

They got a bunch of guys in a gun forum to talk about it. I would say their marketing dept./ publicity stunt is working...

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent $1100 on basically a rib roast from them. Why not.

It’s all about an easy return policy lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
To directly answer the question, yes. With the small markup Costco has bad being it is GIA Certified, you probably would spend a bit less than from your favorite store. With a “Cert” from GIA, you are guaranteed you are receiving what is stated. The stone has to be separately certified by TWO Separate Graduate Gemologist within GIA and arrive at the same grading. (I am a GG myself from GIA).
The only thing you won’t get with that ring will be the “romance” of your jewelry store, but you will get the stone they describe!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A diamond ring from Costco? Sounds a bit like taking your date to a restaurant and using a coupon. Razz

I have always thought that if there is such a thing as evil capitalism, De Beers is it. They monopolize the production and distribution, convince people they have to have the product and charge far in excess of its real worth (like Cheaper Than Dirt but with diamonds), and treat employees like shit.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were at Sam's the other day and they had a Tag watch for $5,000.00. I am also not sure who would buy a watch like that there.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
We were at Sam's the other day and they had a Tag watch for $5,000.00. I am also not sure who would buy a watch like that there.

Back when I made a lot of money, I did. A couple Breitlings and an Omega. Why pay 50% more at a jewelry store that offers me nothing more than Costco did.

Best part, when I sold them, I got what I paid for them, because I didn’t pay “retail”.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I watched a clip on where to get the best deal on jewelry & while I do not know exactly who funded the show, they tested several bits of jewelry from lots of several stores & Costco scored extremely high on the list for getting exactly what they advertised & the value for what was paid. My ex had gotten me a beautiful pendant necklace from them & I was extremely impressed with the quality.

I would not drop half-million dollars on any piece of jewelry. My wedding ring does not have any diamonds in it. It is an antique ring we got off eBay because I am in love with the setting & I love the color of the stone. It is an Iolite. I like going against the grain anyway.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
No.

I am blessed in that Mrs. Dzozer is a firm believer in number 1 and 2. Big Grin

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post