SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had nearly a half-million dollars to drop on a ring, would you buy it at Costco?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had nearly a half-million dollars to drop on a ring, would you buy it at Costco? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Just for yucks.

I had no idea that there were $419,000 rings in Costco's jewelry counter.

https://www.costco.com/round-b...oduct.100142632.html

Maybe it's worth every penny, but I suspect the kind of woman that would be gifted this ring would want to hear that it came from Tiffany's, not Costo.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I saw an espresso machine on display in a Bed, Bath & Beyond a couple of years ago with a $10K price tag. Sure, it was one of those copper-plated European looking units and almost the size of a VW Beetle, but $10K at a BBB? Not where I would think of going for that kind of hardware.

It doesn't appear to be on their website now. Guess they didn't sell too many.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a $9,999 bottle of Glenlivet in Pop’s! Wine and Spirits in Cumming Georgia last week.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Neiman Marcus once sold a Bell 430 helicopter for $6.7 million through one of their Christmas catalogs:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Neiman Marcus once sold a Bell 430 helicopter for $6.7 million through one of their Christmas catalogs:

Well, that WAS when Airwolf was on the air. I'll bet they sold a few. Smile

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

Maybe it's worth every penny, but I suspect the kind of woman that would be gifted this ring would want to hear that it came from Tiffany's, not Costo.

I suppose if you're not REALLY sure about the whole thing, Costco's excellent return policy covers it?

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The NM catalog similarly offered an authentic set of his and hers 2,000 year old Egyptian mummy cases for $6000. The cases got all the way to a receiving dock at one of their stores before someone discovered that one of the mummy cases still contained the original mummy.

After some fast paperwork shuffling, the items were finally acquired by the Rosicrucian Museum in San Jose, CA.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for yucks.

I had no idea that there were $419,000 rings in Costco's jewelry counter.

https://www.costco.com/round-b...oduct.100142632.html

Costco's picture in the link doesn't look like a 10-ct diamond. You would think Costco would at least try to provide as many photos as possible, including provision of the GIA certificate. Even for a store that low balls its operations, moving such an item will require some work.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
No, I'd call Dave Truong. Big Grin

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m sure the woman receiving a 10 carat diamond wouldn’t be overly concerned where it came from, and if her beau was buying it from Costco, he’s probably savvy enough to not overspend when unnecessary. So she’s probably used to that.

I would be willing to bet that it appraised for quite a bit more than Costco is selling it for.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Same here. Any major jewelry purchase for the rest of my life goes through Dave.

I am not in the position I have been in the past but anything north of $500 goes through Dave.

quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Agreed.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It's unlikely I'd buy a 10ct solitaire ring with a VS1 clarity and I color. Such a large stone featured in a setting like that needs to be higher quality. Lower grade diamonds are better for things like earring studs.

But if I were going to get something like that I'd call Dave or I'd go to 47th St. in NYC.

Diamonds are a commodity but each stone is also unique. I'd want to see the stone unset before buying and also inspect the GIA cert. Two stones with same 4C grades could look totally different.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, what could you do on a 10 carat diamond with those specs?

Seriously, could you share the largest stone you've sold? No need to mention price.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I discovered that each Costco location customizes its offerings to the local market. I have 3 Costcos within easy drive. Yes, each has the same toilet paper. All three have the high end hard liquor. But only the one in the higher end location have a larger and more expensive inventory of wines. I also saw Rolexes there once a long long time ago.

Same for rings and jewelry. The other two had only kiosk large displays.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but only if it came with a Seal Team to protect her.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's unlikely I'd buy a 10ct solitaire ring with a VS1 clarity and I color. Such a large stone featured in a setting like that needs to be higher quality. Lower grade diamonds are better for things like earring studs.

The larger the diamond, the rarer it is to not have flaws. If you've got $1,000,000+ there are some really nice 10 carats out there.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the stones at Costco are GIA certified and on par with what you’ll find elsewhere. A blue Tiffany box can easily be bought online. There’s no reason for her to ever see the box anyways. Who hands over a box as a proposal. I like playing around at Tiffany. Go to one of the private rooms and have the sales lady bring in 3 or 5 huge rocks and give me the loupe. I’d def buy at Costco or elsewhere, like from Dave, if I was in the market for a finger mortgage.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Didn't Costso get busted selling fake diamonds or something?

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

I suppose if you're not REALLY sure about the whole thing, Costco's excellent return policy covers it?
That’s the kind of engagement ring you buy to soften the blow of the 2” thick prenup you’re about to hand her. Their return policy may come in handy...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post