SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sen. Orrin Hatch Will Host Re-Election Fundraiser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sen. Orrin Hatch Will Host Re-Election Fundraiser Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Stick around Orrin Razz

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) will host a re-election fundraiser in early January, which raises questions about whether Mitt Romney will run for the U.S. Senate.

Hatch will invite donors to his eighth annual ski fundraiser in early January at the St. Regis Hotel in Park City, Utah, where the suggested donation reaches as high as $5,000 for families.

Hatch’s fundraiser announcement shocked many pundits, who widely expected him to announce his retirement in early 2018 once he and congressional Republicans presumably pass the Republican Tax Cuts and Jobs Act before Christmas. Hatch, as the Senate Finance chairman, played a significant role in passing the Senate tax cut legislation last week.

Sources close to failed presidential candidate Mitt Romney suggested that he would be interested in running for Utah Senate if Sen. Hatch were to retire.

Hatch spokesman Matt Whitlock told CNN that Sen. Hatch will hold the fundraiser regardless of his pending decision.

“Senator Hatch holds this event every year in order to gather longtime political friends and allies in Utah. He will hold the event regardless of his final decision about 2018,” Whitlock said.

Romney’s advisers decided not to comment to CNN; the former Massachusetts governor’s camp said that they will not comment on the Senate race until the Senate Finance chairman decides on his retirement.

Romney jumped into the political fray on Monday in an attempt to undermine Alabama Judge Roy Moore’s campaign, tweeting, “Roy Moore in the US Senate would be a stain on the GOP and on the nation. Leigh Corfman and other victims are courageous heroes. No vote, no majority is worth losing our honor, our integrity.”

Stephen K. Bannon, Breitbart News’s executive chairman and former White House chief strategist, lashed out at Romney at a Roy Moore rally this week.

“Judge Moore is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point,” Bannon said. “Judge Moore served his country in one of the toughest wars we ever had, in Vietnam.”

“That’s honor and integrity, Mitt,” Bannon argued. “And while we’re on the subject of Vietnam and honor and integrity, you avoided service, brother.”

President Donald Trump praised Sen. Hatch’s contribution to his home state and country on Monday; Trump said he hopes Hatch will “continue to serve [his] state and [his] country in the Senate for a very long time to come.”

Chairman Hatch announced on Wednesday that after passing tax reform and other significant legislation, he will discuss with his family his plans for the future.

“In the next few weeks, I believe we are going to have tax reform signed into law, we are going to extend CHIP, and a number of other important things,” Hatch explained. “After that, I plan to spend time with my family to discuss plans for the future. I think I’ll have an announcement sometime after that.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...election-fundraiser/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of Hatch but the prospect of Romney being a senator is not good for the Republic....and yes, I voted for him and am ashamed for it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The last thing we need is to hand another senate seat to a liberal.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Screw Mittens. Can't he just go away already?

Posts: 5757 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I knew Hatch was running again when he introduced Trump here in Ut last week. Me, me, me, I, I, I am great. Look what I've done. Trump is here because of me. Then Trump starts in on how great Hatch is. I knew right then Hatch was in again. He will work the primary and coast through the general again. We won't see nor hear from him for 5 more years after. This will be the first time in my life I vote for a dem.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29680 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I am just amazed that Mitt Romney still thinks he's relevant.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ugh. No, really.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
This will be the first time in my life I vote for a dem.

Confused

Is this a protest vote or is there a Dem candidate there you actually support?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I'm not a big fan of Hatch but the prospect of Romney being a senator is not good for the Republic....and yes, I voted for him and am ashamed for it.

We didn’t have much of a choice, I plugged my nose when I voted for him and for McCain oh I also needed anti nausea meds for McCain.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would any Utah dem push Trump's tax plan? If you think yes (please give me a name), you need to step back and think again. Maybe third party but a friggin' dem? I live here and can't think of a dem that I would replace Hatch (as much as he sucks) with. We need to do the same thing we did with Bennett. Primary the asshole and take him out before the general election.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Hatch....yuck. I will hold my nose and vote for him. I hate Romney. I have met him and he is an ass. Hatch it is.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
More democrats in Utah is the very last thing we need. Never let them get a foothold.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No dem in Utah will win that Senate seat even with my vote.

Posts: 29680 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then let's take the RINO jerk out in the primary. We'll be on the same teamBig Grin

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:

So what's the point in voting Dem? Why not just stay home or vote 3rd party like suggested above?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Never vote for evil. It is a stain on your soul.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Screw Mittens. Can't he just go away already?

Tme is on his side...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm not from Utah. How "red" is the state? I've always thought of Utah as a weak red like Florida where I live where we elect Rubio and Astronaut Nelson, or real purple like Colorado.

In so far as I care most about regulatory reform and judges, I'd vote for a monkey in rubber pants before I'd vote for a Dem. If that means voting (in the general, not the primary) for someone who is less conservative than I am, I will do so because at some level, Party is Power.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I knew Hatch was running again when he introduced Trump here in Ut last week. Me, me, me, I, I, I am great. Look what I've done. Trump is here because of me. Then Trump starts in on how great Hatch is. I knew right then Hatch was in again. He will work the primary and coast through the general again. We won't see nor hear from him for 5 more years after.

Shame on you. Mad

I suppose you are a Never-Trumper too.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I knew Hatch was running again when he introduced Trump here in Ut last week. Me, me, me, I, I, I am great. Look what I've done. Trump is here because of me. Then Trump starts in on how great Hatch is. I knew right then Hatch was in again. He will work the primary and coast through the general again. We won't see nor hear from him for 5 more years after.

Shame on you. Mad

I suppose you are a Never-Trumper too.

Lol nope. I gladly voted for Trump and defend him whenever I can. I'll make you a promise. If it looks like the demo might win, I'll hold my nose again and vote for Hatch. But I may need a long shower afterward.