SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    personal checks usage (poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

personal checks usage (poll) Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
One a month, plus a few other per year. The monthly one to the gas and electric company. The reason is I want to continue getting my bill with usage on it. The others include 2 per year for my license plates and an occasional one for something else.

I receive one per month from my "employer". At my advanced age I'd rather they direct deposit. Must be cheaper for them to write a check. I guess. I don't want to make waves. I like my monthly salary and don't want it to end.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No provision online to pay my rent, so check it is. I also write one to the electric company because nobody will print less than 200 checks at a time, so I might as well use them up. I don't have to. I could just as easily use my credit union's bill paying service. Everything else is paid at point of sale with debit or credit card, or online.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Retired and write 3-4 checks per year.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe 15/year.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A few a month. It's how my wife pays our babysitter, our daughter's swim coach, & school tuition. The babysitter gets at least a couple a month.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
only when I have to, which is almost never, except for some backwards contractor who doesn't take cash or more modern means of payment.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Only about four to five a year , we pay monthly bills online or via phone with no problem.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a few per month for bills.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Less than one a month since I started using my bank's bill-pay system. I register my recipients with the bank which then pays them when I authorize it; I don't register with the payees' bill-pay systems.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife pays all the monthly bills by check. Pretty much the only time they are used.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Probably 10 per year.

Side note, but the folks in this thread that think paying by check is safer or more secure than paying online with a credit card need to do a bit more research on the matter.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Once a month to the lawn service, donations to the church, and taxing authorities.

So not a lot, say 5-6 a month.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I rarely write a check.
Every once in awhile health insurance sends me a reimbursement check for something the wife paid for, I'll write her a check for that amount.
We have separate checking accounts.

I do carry a personal check in my wallet, just in case.
Last time I used it was at a gun show.
+ 3% with a debit or credit card, but a personal check was same as cash.

So I wrote them a check...
They gave me a +2 mag base on the house..

Otherwise, no written checks from me...

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I pay all of my bills by check. I don't trust electronic bill paying, cell phone apps, and most other high tech BS.

I would point out your check has your account number on it. Anyone along the chain of custody can steal your account number and raid your bank account. I've had that happen.

I try to pay everything with credit card. Much safer. I only write a few checks per year when forced into it.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Maybe once a year. Maybe.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Rent only.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Need a "none of the above"

Personal, yes - occasionally 5 maybe 10 a year if that

^^^ This.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer to pay monthly bills by check

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No, I quit using checks at least 5-6 years ago.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Personal, 3-4 per month and EFT's for utilities and credit card payments. Business checks all month long.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post