SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    personal checks usage (poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

personal checks usage (poll) Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
write one check every two weeks for cash so I have cash to put in my emergency fund, for my auto insurance fund, and cash to buy my diesel to drive back and forth to work.

I also write a check to Centurylink every month for phone and internet as I refuse to pay their convenience fee to use my credit card.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Most small vendors, lawn, handy man, etc are learning to take Venmo, you can pay them from your cell phone with the app.

HA!! You should come visit MS. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1 per month and only because the HOA I have to pay HOA fees to for my rental condo is stuck in 1976. Frown

If they would allow online payment, I'd happily ditch checks.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yup, mostly to my kids school to add to the lunch fund, buy uniforms, pay fees, etc. They have a credit card surcharge that is more than my cash back.
The addition to the lunch money fund is a flat $5 per transaction so they get a check.
We cash flow school stuff and are to yet able to pay everything up front. So monthly checks they get.
We paid one kiddos tuition up front and hope to be able to do so for all in a few years but it is hard when they don’t charge interest for monthly payments and paying up front only saves you $100 a kid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Voted none, but I do write 1-2 per month for those odd situations where CC or EFT directly from my checking account to the payee can't be used. If I need some waking around cash, I use a no fee ATM and my debit card.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a few, for odds and ends.
Slight thread de-railing rant: Anyone writing checks and updating their check register while people wait behind them in line at the grocery need to be banished from society! Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I write 4-5 per year.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I checked personal checks yes, business no.

I only write 3-4 checks a year.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
4-6 per year

This with my last check you the state department to renew my passport.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I voted "business yes, personal no" as that was closest to my situation; but I do still occasionally write personal checks. I recently wrote three for property taxes, as someone else mentioned.

PRO TIP:

For those who say they only write them to avoid the credit card fee by some entities, set up a "bill pay" with your bank online. I use Chase, and I think they actually call it "BillPay", but I set up recurring payments, for a condo that I own for example, and each month they debit my account and mail a Chase check to the Payee. All electronic for me, no fees, and I've never had a check not make it. Bonus, if it did get stolen out of the mail, it's not my check!

I have also used the BillPay feature when buying guns from forum members or individual online sellers. It saves me a trip to the post office and the bank. I set them up as a vendor, name and address, my account gets debited and they mail a Chase check to the Payee. I've never received one myself, but I'm told it pretty much looks like a cashiers check, as its a Chase check, not my personal check.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Yes on personal, but only 4 to 6 per year.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't write checks any more. Everyone either takes credit cards or accepts digital payment, even things like my HOA and lawn guy. Most of the bigger monthly bills are auto-drafted.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Cable (internet), home owners insurance, car insurance, life insurance, electric, water, all get checks. I signed up to pay my mortgage online a few years ago but never did, because they wanted an extra $8 a month to do so. F-em.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
About a dozen a year.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GaryBF:
I pay all of my bills by check. I don't trust electronic bill paying, cell phone apps, and most other high tech BS.[/QUOTE

I agree 100%

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1 check every Sunday at church.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Slight thread de-railing rant: Anyone writing checks and updating their check register while people wait behind them in line at the grocery need to be banished from society! Mad

Don't get me started

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit older than most of you, so I'm pretty likely continue to write checks for some things (not a lot, but the few I mentioned previously). I don't have any problem keeping track of the check I keep in my wallet, but I do, from time to time, misplace my phone and we have a little house/car/area searching party as we did this morning.

But I am pretty cool, I pay for CFA with their app on my phone. I no longer use the Dunkin Donut one, though, prefer to pay with cash.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple hundred checks before I started using online bill pay.

I write maybe 3 checks a month now, so they will last.

My city sewer bill is $20 a month, to pay online I have to pay 3% to use a credit card, nope, I drive by city hall every day on my way to work, I will just drop it off in the box so it costs me an envelope.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
On average I only write one check per month for my natural gas bill. I could probably change it to online billing, but haven’t looked yet. I probably write a total of 22 checks in a year. The other checks are for quarterly pest control, annual property taxes, home owner’s insurance, and vehicle registration. I still write a check for vehicle registration because the “convenience” fee they charge for paying online is more than the cost of a stamp.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post