SIGforum
personal checks usage (poll)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1750075664

February 13, 2020, 01:58 PM
bendable
personal checks usage (poll)
I have not written a check in 30 years.<BR><BR>but there are many here in tiny town that do.<BR><BR>Looking to see the much much bigger picture with this poll.do you still right personal checks on a regular basis?don't write personel checks , nor for buisnesspersonal checks yes, buisness nobuisness yes , personal nojust for monthly bill paying4-8 per monthchecks for everything ,they are the best

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
February 13, 2020, 02:01 PM
lyman
business, all the time,

personal, nope,
wife has that checkbook, bet I have not written 5 checks from it in the past 10 years or more

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

February 13, 2020, 02:01 PM
Woodman
4-6 per year
February 13, 2020, 02:02 PM
HRK
Need a "none of da bove"

Business, yes, a few monthly for certain vendors

Personal, yes - occasionally 5 maybe 10 a year if that

February 13, 2020, 02:04 PM
1s1k
A couple a month because those businesses don't have electronic bill paying. That's about it though.
February 13, 2020, 02:05 PM
cheesegrits
Business, all the time.

Personal, maybe a 4 or 5 a year, usually for tha annual HOA dues, Boy Scout popcorn, income taxes, and an odd job around the house.
February 13, 2020, 02:06 PM
ChicagoSigMan
I have a couple bills each month I pay by check. Wish I didn't have to but they charge 3% to use a credit card, and I refuse to do that on principle.
February 13, 2020, 02:07 PM
slosig
Yeah, no fit for me either. Wife writes most of the checks, business and personal. I write the occasional one or two. With bill pay, we let the bank write a lot of the checks, and we use ACH for some stuff too. We write a lot less checks than we used to, but we still write some.
February 13, 2020, 02:10 PM
1967Goat
I'm the treasurer for our Cub Scout Pack, which is technically a Business account. For that I write checks all the time. For personal, we use BillPay almost exclusively. If a business we need to pay is not setup through Bill Pay, the bank sends them a check for us.

I LOVE BillPay through our bank.
February 13, 2020, 02:13 PM
GaryBF
I pay all of my bills by check. I don't trust electronic bill paying, cell phone apps, and most other high tech BS.
February 13, 2020, 02:18 PM
kz1000
1 per month for my rent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
February 13, 2020, 02:18 PM
P250UA5
Just for bills, and the rare personal expense.
But, we use Chase bill pay, so they write & mail the checks. Haven't had a checkbook in years.

The Enemy's gate is down.
February 13, 2020, 02:21 PM
Ozarkwoods
I do online banking for those places that do not offer online banking the bank writes a check and mails it to them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 13, 2020, 02:22 PM
erj_pilot
How many checks in one little packet? 50? I believe it took about 10 years to go through one little pack. I believe the only thing I write an actual check for these days is when I give money to the church. I was VERY skeptical at first, but now use online banking to pay for all my bills (Chase Bank). I've used Paypal only rarely when there was no other option and used Zelle when I was renting a crashpad in LAX last year. Zelle is actually VERY convenient...wish my Credit Union had that feature.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
February 13, 2020, 02:22 PM
GRIZZLYBEAR
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I pay all of my bills by check. I don't trust electronic bill paying, cell phone apps, and most other high tech BS.

Totally agree and could have written the same comment
February 13, 2020, 02:25 PM
Georgeair
No options for only as a last resort, for the small handful of folks who don't take cards. You know, home repair, yard guy, stuff like that. I keep one in my wallet, the one there now has been there for 2 years.

quote:
Originally posted by GRIZZLYBEAR:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

Totally agree and could have written the same comment

I do always so enjoy these comments. What exactly do you think happens with your check once you mail it? Assuming it gets to destination on time of course.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

February 13, 2020, 02:26 PM
cmparrish
I voted no, because that was the closest choice. We write about 4 to 5 checks a year maybe.
February 13, 2020, 02:34 PM
saigonsmuggler
3 per year, all to pay various county taxes.
February 13, 2020, 02:34 PM
straightshooter1
I do for routine payments like the guy who mows my yard, the guy who sprays for bugs. How else could I pay them? I rarely actually see them, so cash is out of the picture, and I know they don't take any cards or apps. And property tax, small as it is, would be a real pain for me to go to the tax collector's office with rolls of pennies, the tags on our vehicles, any doctor bills (mostly my wife's, since most all of mine are VA so no charge), the dentist, etc. And if you guys deduct the allowable items from your taxes, how do you prove them? I use checks for that.

What's the big deal about checks anyway?

Bob
February 13, 2020, 02:40 PM
HRK
Most small vendors, lawn, handy man, etc are learning to take Venmo, you can pay them from your cell phone with the app.