SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Right to Repair’ Is Bad for Your Health
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right to Repair’ Is Bad for Your Health Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Wow.

That article was the biggest load of BS propaganda that I have read in a long time. Try to explain that shit to a Tesla owner that has had the super charging feature on their car magically turned off whilst on a road trip. Or, the farmer who paid 400k for a Harvester and can't even grease a fucking wheel bearing without a proprietary tool.

Medical devices? Yeah, that's what right to repair is all about. Not letting Billy Bob wrench on MRI machines. Gimmie a break.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
The medical device repair crap is pure red herring argument BS lobbyist material.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I have *heard* that it is illegal to MRI an Apple iPhone. Not sure why.

** from the mri technician

Putting anything with metal parts near an MRI is a really bad idea. An MRI is an electro magnet, metal object tend to heat up and fly around in an MRI suite.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The post sounds like it was actually written by a lobbyist for manufacturers

Agree. Right to repair is not a "leftist" issue. What manufactures are really trying to do is limit competition from independent repair facilities outside their contracted dealer network and lock in additional revenue streams by licensing proprietary software and other service and diagnostic tools.

Yep.
I can understand protecting "design" but not "repair".
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
It’s up to the manufacturer to figure out a way to facilitate repairs without divulging their trade secrets. If you sell it to me, I own it.

Yep.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
As field service technician not with an OEM life can be a pain. BUT we are in some cases “Factory” trained/authorized/certified. In others nope. In few cases I can not do much without a manufacturer’s service “key” or hardware token. In others cases parts maybe problematic. But most of the parts are sourced globally and my LinkedIn is full of Chinese connections looking to sell me ATM parts for every make and model.
My career is filled with stories of an OEM not selling me a belt but requiring the purchase of a $8K module, but it’s all good you get a 40% dealer discount and up to a 30% core credit. Sorry went as far as getting a quote from a belt manufacturer with a 90 day lead time. Luckily we found a dozen sitting on a shelf in Europe somewhere, took 30 days to ship and cost less than few hundred dollars total. And I have even worked for a short time for an after market refurbishment company. Had OEMs as our customers.
Long way to say on every piece of equipment I turn the screwdriver the way and use my multimeter to check voltage, resistance and current the same. OEMs can either learn how to make profits with an aftermarket or loose market share when customers leave or laws force them to change. It is all in the balance. Keep your pricing reasonable or see yourself innovated out of the market.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of smart people out there with a few hundred dollars of equipment can fix your car.

Volvo and Tesla are two of the biggest blockers of someone other than the dealer fixing cars.

It is a ripoff.

I own it should be able to fix it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post