SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Five Most Important Guns In American History
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Five Most Important Guns In American History Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
From the Long rifle to the AR-15, the story of firearm innovation is inextricably tied to the story of the United States.

Federalist
David Harsanyi
OCTOBER 17, 2018

This piece is adapted from David Harsanyi’s new book, “First Freedom: A Ride Through America’s Enduring History with the Gun” (Threshold Editions).

Too lengthy to copy. Go to this Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is going to start arguments.

I'm fine with the Kentucky rifle.

I'd argue the original Colt cap and ball pistol (1836 and onward) is more important than the Peacemaker, as it lead to the Peacemaker. Wasn't this the first practical, widely use repeating firearm?

I'd also argue the Henry Rifle was more important than the Spencer, because it was the repeating design that went forward, and was dominant until the Mauser '98 design took over.

And how can the M1 Garand not be in there. I'd say it's a more historically important design than the Stoner, as it was the first widely used autoloading rifle.

I'm fine with the 1911 pistol.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
No argument from on the 5. I was surprised that Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifles only weighed 9-10 pounds though? The few I've handled seemed heavier, maybe it's me getting weaker? Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you enjoyed this article, Chris Kyle wrote a similar book detailing the 10 guns he thought were the most definitive American firearms, and why.

It's titled "American Gun: A History of the United States in Ten Firearms"

https://www.amazon.com/America...rearms/dp/0062242725

His 10 are:
1. Kentucky Long Rifle
2. Spencer Repeating Rifle
3. Colt Single Action Army
4. Winchester Model 1873
5. M1903 Springfield
6. Colt M1911
7. Thompson SMG
8. M1 Garand
9. (Generic) .38 Special Police Revolver
10. M16/AR15

(Note that both lists include the same 5 firearms.)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the SAA is important as it makes the jump from rimfire cartridges to practical centerfire rounds. In the west, an 1873 Winchester and a SAA running the same 44-40 centerfire ammo was plenty good for many men (and women) and the SAA is stilll being made and variations of single action revolvers are still very popular 140 years on.

The AR has been in service 50+ years and just the last 10-20 or so years has seen so much improvement and further refinement.

Posts: 4755 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a worthy five choices, although, to be sure, good arguments could be made for other guns.

The article named the Peacemaker, but the author really seemed to be saying that it was Colt's idea of a revolving cylinder that was the important innovation. This, of course, started with the earlier models, and my read is that he named the Peacemaker as the exemplar, and highest expression of Colt's idea. It's used of a self-contained metallic cartridge is not unimportant, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which Colt revolver first had the bore through cylinders? I'd tag that over the peacemaker. The peacemaker is more known and iconic.

I agree with the 1911. I'd like to see the M1 Garand as it was the transition from bolt to semi auto service rifle. I'd dump the spencer off the list to gain the M1. I'd actually dump the Spencer for the Winchester due to the larger civilian use of the Winchester.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
No argument from on the 5. I was surprised that Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifles only weighed 9-10 pounds though? The few I've handled seemed heavier, maybe it's me getting weaker? Big Grin

Well according to the man on Tee Vee every generation of males has reduced testosterone, today we're a mere mini male of our forefathers, so yeah, to them it was light to the pajama men of today, it's a bruiser LOL

One of the history,discovery,education channels has a show on the top ten rifles worldwide..

The list is pretty good sampling of historically significant firearms... of course YOMV

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Which Colt revolver first had the bore through cylinders? I'd tag that over the peacemaker. The peacemaker is more known and iconic.
The Rollin-White patent on the bored-through cylinder was originally licensed only to S&W and Colt was not permitted to use it. When the patent expired, it was not renewed and Colt could adopt that technology.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This is going to start arguments...

And how can the M1 Garand not be in there. I'd say it's a more historically important design than the Stoner, as it was the first widely used autoloading rifle.

i agree with you from the standpoint of the historical significance - but it only served our needs for what-- 12-15 years?

the Ar15 has been around for coming up on 60 years in service. that's damn amazing if you think about it. worldwide usage for decades.

i think the AR far outweighs the significance of the Garand (which is an excellent rifle - no doubt)

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, the Garand had to have affected training and doctrine in ways that readied the US military to take full advantage of the M16. I've gotta come down in favor of the M16, though, if only because of polymer construction, in-line recoil and the use of an intermediate cartridge.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The Rollin-White patent on the bored-through cylinder was originally licensed only to S&W and Colt was not permitted to use it. When the patent expired, it was not renewed and Colt could adopt that technology.

flashguy

Thanks, i'll have to review my revolver history. I thought that had been colt, I stand corrected.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's why S&W could sell revolvers in .22 Short during the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S..._Wesson#19th_century

Not that Colt really cared of course - there's no telling how many .36 and .44 cap and ball revolvers they sold during that period.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'd have to switch out the AR15 / M16 for the M1 Grande.

Also it I'd have to think of a way to add in one of the early S&W Revolvers.

The Kentucky Rifle and the 1911 Colt is a must for the list.

All in all I think that five is too few. There are too many important firearms that made a difference.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I sat and thought of 5 before opening the article. I had the Winchester ‘73 in there. I also had the Browning .50 caliber machine gun in there. Unlike the venerable 1911, the U.S. military still goes to war with Ma-deuce. It armed our fighters and bombers and remains a fearsome weapon.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Five Most Important Guns In American History

1) The pistol that killed Alexander Hamilton
2) The pistol that killed Abraham Lincoln
3) The rifle that killed John Kennedy
4) The rifle that killed Martin Luther King
5) The pistol that killed Robert Kennedy

The other list lists guns that were iconic : not necessarily important.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
The Five Most Important Guns In American History

1) The pistol that killed Alexander Hamilton
2) The pistol that killed Abraham Lincoln
3) The rifle that killed John Kennedy
4) The rifle that killed Martin Luther King
5) The pistol that killed Robert Kennedy

The other list lists guns that were iconic : not necessarily important.

Sorry, but I think this is just silly.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I can agree with the first and last, but the middle three are nearly iconic. The Henry was contemporary to, and was better than the Spencer. The M1 Garand was far far more important to both the winning of WWII than the 1911 was. In addition, the success of the Garand paved the way for the eventual wide spread adoption of the semi auto rifle as a military arm. As to the peacemaker, S&W had the first successful metalic cartridge revolver.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
i agree with you from the standpoint of the historical significance - but it only served our needs for what-- 12-15 years?

The Garand was the official standard service rifle for 21 years (1936-1957), but continued in active duty service through 1963, and then in more limited service (mainly Navy, Reserve, and National Guard) through the 1970s.

Not quite as long as the M16, but 40ish years and 2.5 major wars is nothing to sneeze at.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I sat and thought of 5 before opening the article. I had the Winchester ‘73 in there. I also had the Browning .50 caliber machine gun in there. Unlike the venerable 1911, the U.S. military still goes to war with Ma-deuce. It armed our fighters and bombers and remains a fearsome weapon.

I hadn't considered machine guns . If we do, the M2 definitely deserves a spot.