SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What advantage does citizenship currently provide ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What advantage does citizenship currently provide ? Login/Join 
posted
American citizenship gets you a Social Security number so the Government can borrow against your labor. Increasingly, benefits and voting rights are being provided to foreigners either outright or illegal voting ignored.
Does American citizenship really carry much value anymore?

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:

It does to me. Sleep it off.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Proud American here.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Everyone in this voting booth is scrutinized pretty closely. Despite the guy running it being a brain-dead weasel who openly told me he wanted to destroy ballots.

The "foreigners" with EBT cards, no english, trying to buy hot sandwiches in the deli, wearing expensive designer jeans, it is a head-shaker. We get different waves of immigrants. Asians. Indians, with their caste tradition (very rude people). Waves from the roughest areas of Ireland about 30 years ago. Then it was West Africans. Now Latinos. There are now many restaurants within walking distance - Ecuadorian, Dominican, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Italian, "American". And many more with a bit of a longer walk.

The drunk Latinos congregating in a parking lot a few blocks away have displaced the "American" drunks who formerly staked out that spot. There are many more self-assured Latinos walking to the train station morning and night.

The Asians are the most polite immigrants; easily the smartest group of people you'll ever meet (is that a racist comment?). And the hierarchy of Central and South American immigrants is becoming more apparent.

Chances are the worthless P.O.S. "immigrant" you despise is the same one a hard-working, tax-paying "immigrant" will also despise.

Funniest lately? The lowest-paid of the group, Thai illegals doing food prep in the basement of a former client's restaurant. Nearly no english. But enough to say, "Trump good" and "Build wall".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
If you do some traveling around the world, you'll pretty soon start to appreciate your U.S. citizenship.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insomnia strikes again.
I don't wish to live anywhere else.

It just seems the world is showing up and using up our resources while our brain dead population stares at their phones.

Well, that's not entirely true. I want to move but, haven't decided where. Feeling like the minority in my area of 50 years. Also missing hearing English

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you live but wherever it is, you need to move.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The Asians are the most polite immigrants; easily the smartest group of people you'll ever meet (is that a racist comment?). And the hierarchy of Central and South American immigrants is becoming more apparent.

Asians are the smartest? They just work much harder than most, value families and education, and wait until after marriage to have kids. In that sense, yeah they are smarter. If any ethnic minority followed the same model, they would do just as well.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
What advantage does citizenship currently provide ?

All you are guaranteed is membership in the greatest country in the world.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out the story that there all these illegals who are sneaking into the voting booth.... first why would they, no money involved and second it is a burden to do it.

Some friends born in Germany who have lived here for 20 years ask my wife and I to attend their swearing in ceremony to become citizens.. I now tell people that if they get a chance they need to go to one of these.. it will make them proud to be an American.

I still say the day we get to the point people don't want to come to this country by any means available... legal or illegal is when we are actually in serious trouble.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
American citizenship gets you a Social Security number so the Government can borrow against your labor.

Everyone makes fun of social security until it’s time to collect Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Isn't enough pen & paper to fully answer that question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I believe what the OP is getting at is that in the US it is becoming increasingly difficult to point to an actual benefit a citizen has versus a non-citizen here. Illegal aliens have increasing access to all aspects of society, government, the legal and the welfare systems, and it is the clear intent of many in government and society at large to advance that agenda.

For example, I believe there are certain privileges that should define citizenship, such as the right to vote. Yet despite the fact it is our single most precious right, it is also probably our least protected right.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
You can easily and legally get a SS# without being a citizen. The US gov't. ain't going to turn away money. Mrs. Lee is a green card holder. Really, the only difference it makes for her is that she has to get a visa when we go to Europe together and she can't vote. Getting a visa for Europe is a real pain in the ass, but she doesn't go as often as I do and she doesn't care about voting at all. But she needs to do something next year when her green card is up for renewal. I'm trying to talk her into getting her citizenship.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
If you jumped the border fence and made it to a California/sanctuary city, there is no benefit being a citizen.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Isn't enough pen & paper to fully answer that question.

...because here, I can complain!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
American citizenship gets you a Social Security number so the Government can borrow against your labor. Increasingly, benefits and voting rights are being provided to foreigners either outright or illegal voting ignored.

Why don't you give yours up and move to Niger and tell us?

Don't be so cynical. You aren't clever, and you aren't funny.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you do a little research, you will find that H1B Visa holders, L1 Visa holders, F1 Student Workers, etc. also get a Social Security Number.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with the OP.

I love the flag and thank God that I was born here and not some third world shit hole but the perks of citizenship are extended legally or illegally with no repercusions to alien invaders every day.

I live in a sanctuary city so that dosent help.

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not much especially in Kommiefornia.

https://news.yahoo.com/califor...-care-111647949.html

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post